Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll vs Trek Verve

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Specialized Roll vs Trek Verve

Old 08-01-19, 10:04 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Nice color choice, too!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-01-19, 06:30 PM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Nice color choice, too!
Thanks, the official name for the paint color is "gloss storm grey", but it is definitely a nature-inspired blue-grey. I was pleased when it arrived at my local bike shop :-). For someone looking for a comfortable, laid-back ride, but still wants to go further than on a fat-tire bike, this is a real nice choice IMHO. I actually went in there asking about fat-tire bikes, but once the guy found out that I wanted to ride more than "around your own neighborhood" as he put it, and I discussed specific pain points, he steered me to this. Not saying this is the bike for all, but for me, I think he gave me the right advice.
Old 08-02-19, 10:36 AM
Bucs79

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great posts and discussion. I’m also big and looking to get smaller. I’m 6’4” 250lbs and currently ride a Giant Fastroad but find it stressful on arms, shoulders and low back on longer rides.

I tested the Roll, Giant Cypress and Giant Roam. The Roll was very comfortable on the flat but a beast uphill. I don’t think I’d be able to keep up with my riding friends who get 11-14 mph on average. The Cypress was not bad but I’d have to test it again on the right size frame. The Roam was faster and smooth, but the riding position a little more bent over, which is why the Roll was more comfortable by comparison.

Youre right. Everything comes with compromises and trade offs. I’d love to find something as comfortable as the Roll but with the ability to ride fast and go uphill.
Likes For Bucs79:
Old 08-02-19, 08:07 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
The biggest impediment to "efficiency" with the Roll is the seat tube angle. It's pretty laid back, which puts the crank further out in front of you than on most other bikes. As you observed, comfort is high (especially on flat), but it'll be difficult to keep the pedaling force going sitting so far behind the crank (relatively speaking, of course).

If you like the Cypress and the Roam, note that you can install shorter and higher stems that will move the handlebar higher and further back. I've done this on my Roam. This may get you the comfort you're seeking in terms of riding position, while also keeping some efficiency in your pedal strokes to be able to sustain your cadence on hills.

Compromises and trade-offs are the names of this game, you're absolutely right.
Old 08-03-19, 06:44 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
YankeeRider, it’s almost like you read my mind. Everything that you said about the Roll is exactly how I feel about mine. A fantastic bike for where I am in my life & my riding style.
Old 05-01-20, 11:57 AM
dls1

Bikes: Cannondale M400

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Made my choice

After numerous adjustments to both the verve 2 and the Roll Sport at the bike shop and multiple test rides I went with the Roll Sport. I just could not get past the feeling on the Verve that I still wasn’t leaning over the bars when pedaling, plus the seat on the Roll just plain felt comfortable from the minute I sat on it. Yes I know the Verve has better components but what good does that do you if you don’t want to ride it !
Likes For dls1:
Old 05-01-20, 01:10 PM
dls1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Picture of new Roll Sport

Yep

New Roll Sport. XL frame.
Likes For dls1:
Old 05-07-20, 11:20 PM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dls1
After numerous adjustments to both the verve 2 and the Roll Sport at the bike shop and multiple test rides I went with the Roll Sport. I just could not get past the feeling on the Verve that I still wasn’t leaning over the bars when pedaling, plus the seat on the Roll just plain felt comfortable from the minute I sat on it. Yes I know the Verve has better components but what good does that do you if you don’t want to ride it !
Sounds like you made the right choice. From reading a lot of posts I learned 2 things. #1 if your bike isn't comfortable you won't ride it and #2 if you don't like the looks you won't ride it. I read a post from someone else were he mentioned these two things and to me he was 100% spot on. The Roll to me is a really fun bike to ride and is very comfortable overall as it don't hurt my back since I'm not leaning over the bars like most of the full hybrid bikes. I had a Specialized Crosstratil and it was a really nice bike and I did a rider stem to sit more upright and it helped but I tested out a Roll one day and then I knew I was going to get a Roll. A few months later I sold my Crosstrail and bought a Roll.
Old 05-23-20, 05:10 AM
dls1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another observation

Another thing I noticed while test riding both the Trek Verve 2 and the Roll Sport were the brakes. The Verve has hydraulic disc as the roll has manual. After adjusting both at the bike shop I could not tell a difference or improvement by either. This is another reason among many others that I went with the Roll Sport. I have been riding the Roll for a couple of weeks now and have had time to tackle a few hills and the gearing on the bike is more than enough to get me up and over. I love the fact that this bike took me the other day from pavement, to gravel to single track all in one ride.
Old 05-26-20, 11:00 AM
myared

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Got me a Roll Sport two weeks ago... Initially was intended for me, but my wife fell in love with it and basically "appropriated it" to herself! I get to ride it only when she doesn't want to ride... Between the two of us, we've put about 100 miles on it already, and I'm ready to buy another one for me! Problem is, I can't find one (I'm looking for an Elite in XL size). Where did all the bikes go? Where can I get one?
Old 05-30-20, 03:22 PM
myared

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Kept checking availability online, including on local bike shops' websites over and over with no XL Elites showing up anywhere... I was also repeatedly calling local shops one after the other, and all were truly out of those bikes, as their websites showed. Today, one local shop said they have an XL Roll Sport in Cast Blue (didn't show as available on their website). That's the exact size and color I wanted, but it's not an Elite. I went for it anyway since every shop was telling me inventory on these bikes has pretty much dried up and they weren't expecting any till Fall, maybe...

All in all, I'm very happy that I don't have to "share" the first Roll Sport I bought with my wife anymore, and I saved a few hundred bucks in the process!

Last edited by myared; 06-01-20 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-30-20, 03:29 PM
myared

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Getting back to the theme of this thread, when I couldn't find a Roll Elite, I started checking out the Trek Verve 3 Disc. That's a nice bike too and I was willing to get either of the two bikes. Same story however; Verve 3s are nowhere to be found!
Old 05-31-20, 08:20 PM
dls1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good decision

Getting the Roll Sport was a good decision. There’s not that much difference between the Elite and the Sport and I could have bought either one at the time.I’m extremely happy with mine. I also get the bike shortage. I bought mine the first week bike shops were allowed to open. At the time there were hundreds of bikes to pick from, trek, Specialize, etc. I went back two weeks later and they were all gone.
Old 05-31-20, 08:41 PM
myared

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, a similar thing happened to me. When I bought the first Roll Sport, the bike shop had plenty of bikes. When I went back a couple of weeks later to buy a Roll Elite, they had no Elites, no Sports, and no other comfort bikes from Specialized or any other brand left...
Old 06-04-20, 01:17 PM
myared

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bike is here. Will post pictures first thing when I'm allowed...
Likes For myared: