Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Panniers vs Backpack

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Panniers vs Backpack

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-08, 02:46 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Toddorado
For all of you who fart in the backpack's general direction and applaud the pannier, I do the same in reverse. I don't care if my back sweats (it's not that bad), or if the weight is on my back (better than on the bike), and I like my bike to be balanced and as light as possible. It's not for everyone

I recommend trying panniers and seeing what you like. One is not better than the other, we all have different preferences. And if anyone brings up the weight on the rider vs. weight on the bike argument, please do a BF search to look for numerous other threads on this topic.
Your bike is less balanced not more with a backpack. Higher center of gravity.
Old 06-15-08, 03:22 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
A loaded bike is much less maneuverable than a cyclist with a backpack.
Old 06-15-08, 06:30 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I have noticed in the past when I would take only one pannier with me you could hardly notice the difference. Also, if you sit in an upright postion that's just more weight on your butt. I guess it's more weight not matter how you sit.

Now with my new trunk that has hidden pop out panniers, I have eliminated the only inconvienicne with panners, easy of removal and carry.
Old 06-16-08, 12:28 AM
Jonahhobbes
Gutter Bunny

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried panniers for about 6 months last winter, I hated them I think having them just gave me the reason to fill them up with tools and stuff I would never use. The weight on the back of the bike was astonomical and it cut down my handling big time; also carrying the mountain bike, complete with large 12v battery, (strappped to the frame), and the panniers was really heavy.

Backpacks are not ideal either and I will switch to a smaller cycling backpack again soon, as the one I have is massive, (40litres), and cuts out the vision if not properly packed from my mirror.

I can live with the sweaty back as I shower at work and when I get home and I can carrying up to 10kg without noticing it on my back, its when you pick up some groceries and get over 15kg it starts to become problematic, but by the time I hit the supermarket I usually only have 5 miles or so to go.

The panniers I bought were old and and second hand I had to figure out away to attach it to the stem, so I'm wondering if smaller more modern panniers might work but I'm in no real hurry to find out.

Last edited by Jonahhobbes; 06-16-08 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-16-08, 12:39 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
What part of "it's not for everyone" didn't you comprehend? My balance is much better wearing a backpack, and I have tried both. Panniers are like sails on a windy day, and I.don't.like.that.

Out of curiosity, how much 'stuff' is in your panniers? If it can't fit into a backpack, perhaps panniers are the answer for you. They are not for me.
Old 06-18-08, 11:15 PM
seanabilly

Bikes: '09 Jamis Aurora Elite '88 Trek Elance '96 Gary Fisher

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the arkel commuter bag. It holds a laptop and my clothes for the day and lunch. I used to use backpacks for commuting for years. I prefer panniers cuz they are much more comfortable. If you travel light, then the backpack may be just fine.
Old 06-18-08, 11:41 PM
bobcrotch

Bikes: 1988 Fuji Cadenza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonahhobbes
I tried panniers for about 6 months last winter, I hated them I think having them just gave me the reason to fill them up with tools and stuff I would never use. The weight on the back of the bike was astonomical and it cut down my handling big time; also carrying the mountain bike, complete with large 12v battery, (strappped to the frame), and the panniers was really heavy.

Backpacks are not ideal either and I will switch to a smaller cycling backpack again soon, as the one I have is massive, (40litres), and cuts out the vision if not properly packed from my mirror.

I can live with the sweaty back as I shower at work and when I get home and I can carrying up to 10kg without noticing it on my back, its when you pick up some groceries and get over 15kg it starts to become problematic, but by the time I hit the supermarket I usually only have 5 miles or so to go.

The panniers I bought were old and and second hand I had to figure out away to attach it to the stem, so I'm wondering if smaller more modern panniers might work but I'm in no real hurry to find out.
Wow that is really true! I love using my backpack for running around town. Getting small things like toothpaste, shampoo, or just my laptop and lunch to work. But when it comes to going grocery shopping it really blows. Light loads are very manageable, you might get a sore back for a while due you those muscles getting stronger but that will go away. Over loading though just ruins it all. Too much weight flopping around. I find my self concentrating more on keeping the food in check rather than anything else.
Old 06-19-08, 12:36 AM
thehum

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
backpack or backpack+other stuff in milkcrate.

milkcrate FTW
Old 06-19-08, 07:21 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having tried panniers, a backpack, and a messenger bag, I ended up with the messenger bag. It's less sweaty than the backpack, much more secure and convenient than panniers, comfortable, sized right (doesn't tempt me into "everything but the kitchen sink" excesses), and serves equally well if I'm off the bike. My usual load is a laptop, change of work clothes (minus shoes, I leave those at work), cellphone, wallet, couple of locks, headlight, maybe lunch.
Old 06-19-08, 07:24 AM
littlewaywelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commuter bag. no sweaty back like w a backpack and imo, more convenient than panniers.
Old 06-19-08, 08:05 AM
545h4
Wait, what was I doing?

Bikes: '04 Haro Escape 8.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back sweat. 'Nuf said.
Old 06-19-08, 08:07 AM
aubinmg

Bikes: Stevens Strada 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panniers for me. Whetever the weight is, let the bike carry it. Plus you don't get more sweaty than you have to.
Old 06-19-08, 08:08 AM
Raleigh531

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used panniers and a trunk bag for a little while. I didn't like the way the rear end of the bike felt to me with the weight back there. I went back to using backpacks and recently I've started to give messenger bags a shot.

I think it's mostly personal preference. Panniers might ride a little more smooth on a bike with a heftier back wheel, too.
Old 06-19-08, 08:25 AM
DavidLee
These go to 11.

Bikes: 06' Trek 7.5 FX, '09 Dawes Steel SST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until a few months ago I was always using panniers. After stripping down & cleaning my bike from Winter gunk I decided to leave the rack & panniers off as I liked the "new & clean" look of my bike. So I broke out the Camelback Ventoux & have been much happier.

My bike feels more nimble without the weight on the back. No more hard *thud*smash*boom* on the errant pothole or uneven pavement. The bike is much much easier to handle carrying up & down stairs. Perhaps the best of all is that I carry LESS CRAP! With my panniers I had a tendency to carry too much. With my backpack I can only fit what I need.

The backpack just feels better to me now. The "air channel" on the Camelback helps with the sweaty back thing. I change clothes at work anyway so it's really no big deal for me. To each their own, I say find what works best for you.

Last edited by DavidLee; 06-19-08 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 08:46 AM
cyberpep
Forever CLYDE !

Bikes: 2003 Giant Cypress R , 2007 Cannondale T2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how to do it but this would make a great topic for a POLL.
Old 06-19-08, 08:52 AM
Bike4More
Fixed Commuter

Bikes: Roads Moutains Fixed Vintage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used both. Sweaty back with my messenger bag.

Heavy bike with rear rack. But you can do some light grocery shopping with panniers on your way home. I can do this because I have no kids and I don't buy that much stuff. Besides large flats of water bottles or lots of heavy liquids, everything else at the grocery store is relatively light. Instead of one trip to the store in your car you could take 2-3 trips on your bike on the way home. In my case I can grocery shop and have more time with my wife when she gets home from work. I get off at 3pm her at 5pm.
Save gas, more quality time.

Advantage -> panniers.

Short trips for little stuff -> backpack
Old 06-19-08, 08:59 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
My commute is only around 10 miles, so a backpack is not a problem. Besides anyone who rides without a back pack should be top contenders for the Darwin awards.
Old 06-19-08, 09:02 AM
Raleigh531

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
My commute is only around 10 miles, so a backpack is not a problem. Besides anyone who rides without a back pack should be top contenders for the Darwin awards.
I do ride with a backpack, but I'm not sure I follow this...
Old 06-19-08, 09:07 AM
Bike4More
Fixed Commuter

Bikes: Roads Moutains Fixed Vintage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
Yeah whats up with that. Darwin awards are usually for people who kill themselves doing dumb things. Funny though, the commuters I've seen lately with backpacks are usually the ones riding on the sidewalk or in the wrong direction on the right side of the street. Darwin awards indeed.
Old 06-19-08, 09:13 AM
ews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panniers. Just one though.

The Fred factor definitely plays into this. A lot of people are pretty self conscious about what they look like. I've lost count of the number of commuters I see with messenger bags and bmx/skate helmets. This was not the case a couple years ago.
Old 06-19-08, 09:16 AM
kbblodorn

Bikes: '06 Specialized Roubaix; ~'93 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute 18+ miles each way, and have been using panniers. Due to mechanical problems (see thread from yesterday...) I rode my road bike in today, with a backpack. I really hated having the backpack on. It interfered with my vision when looking behind me, dramatically increased the back sweat problem (which will really suck if the clothes don't dry by quitting time!), and made my back a bit sore despite very little weight. Only things in the backpack were a pair of shoes, belt, wallet, phone, keys, rain jacket. The pair of shoes and belt normally stay in locker at work, but had to come home yesterday (again, see other thread!) I think the backpack will stay in the locker tonight until I get my mtn bike back and can stick it in the pannier to carry it home. Wallet, keys, phone can all go in the jersey pocket.
Old 06-19-08, 09:20 AM
squeakywheel
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One pannier for me. Gets the weight off my back.
Old 06-19-08, 09:58 AM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to carry a laptop back and forth. Not a nice, small, and light weight one either.
I tried it in my backpack that I use when I have to drive, it killed me. So, panniers for me on my vintage single speed conversion with full Planet Bike fenders too! I like the FRED factor.

I mean really, we're commuting to/from work. Does one really need to worry about looking like your ready to ride the Tour de France? I believe that bike commuting should be practical.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 06-19-08, 10:15 AM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use panniers, backpacks, and messengers at different times.

I've been bicycle commuting and carrying loads on bikes for more than 20 years, and as you've seen there are passionate feelings about what works better. It depends on your bike, your load, your commute (including temperature and humidity), your back/comfort level, frequency of stops, and more. In short, no easy answer.

I will say that after using all types of bags for many years, I use panniers the most and think they are the most comfortable way to haul things on your bike. I think it is hard to find a problem with panniers. I've never thought they affected handling one bit... unless I'm carrying a particularly heavy load (like gallons of milk for example). Part of that is the bike though. A touring bike will handle best with heavy bags attached, and a racing bike won't do as well. Most mountain bikes handle heavy panniers just fine as well. In fact I don't think it's a problem worth mentioning on any bike that has attachment points for a rear rack. If you can attach a rack, you should get one even if you don't plan to use it very often. Get a pannier bag or two as well... cheap ones if you aren't sure about them. Even if you favor the backpack, at least you'll have the panniers for times when you want to carry more.

The only issues with panniers are: Some bikes don't accept racks. Racing bikes mostly. On small bikes it can be difficult to position the panniers in a way that provides enough clearance for pedaling, but there are panniers and racks designed for this. Panniers will increase the weight of your bike, but why burden yourself when your bike will carry that weight without complaining? The only time this might not be so great is if you need to frequently lift and carry your bike. I used to carry my bike up and down four flights of stairs every day, but I simply removed the pannier while I went up and down. Also, some panniers are more difficult to mount/unmount than others. Some have straps for carrying like a shoulder bag or backpack. Some are more water proof than others. You should choose the right pannier based on the load you want to carry, how often you'll need to remove the bag, and how long you will carry it off the bike.

Backpacks and messenger bags are necessary on bikes that don't accept racks, and you might prefer them at times anyway. I prefer backpacks for heavy loads (well... I prefer panniers first for heavy loads and then backpacks). I prefer messenger bags for lighter loads, because it's easier to get in and out of a messenger bag without removing the whole thing first. That's the big advantage of a messenger bag: If you make frequent stops that involve getting in and out of the bag, it's tough to beat a messenger bag. That's why messengers love 'em! I also like handlebar bags for keeping things accessible, but messenger bags are better if you frequently need to lock up your bike and run errands.

The downsides to backpacks and messenger bags are of course the sweaty back issue, and sometimes the painful back, shoulders, neck issue. In my younger days I didn't mind carrying things on my back so much. These days I don't like it when I can avoid it... unless it's a light load. I do find that racing bikes with more aggressive positions (leaning forward) are more comfortable with messenger bags and packs because the weight sits more on your back rather than pulling on your shoulders. Backpacks with waist straps help this some by allowing the weight to sit on your hips. On bikes with more upright positions, these bags and packs tend to hang more on your shoulders.

My main bicycle is my touring bike that is set up for commuting. I have a handlebar bag and usually carry a single pannier on the back. The pannier is large enough to carry quite a few groceries, but sometimes just carries extra layers like my jacket. I often commute in my work clothes, so not having to deal with a pack on my back makes it easy to get to work without getting too sweaty.

When I ride my old racing bike I often go with just the under-seat pack for tools, spare tube, etc. Maybe a cycling jersey with pockets as well. If I need to carry more I usually grab my messenger bag. I only use my backpack when I carry a heavier load on my back.
Old 06-19-08, 10:19 AM
erikvonb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zin
I have to carry a laptop back and forth. Not a nice, small, and light weight one either.
I tried it in my backpack that I use when I have to drive, it killed me. So, panniers for me on my vintage single speed conversion with full Planet Bike fenders too! I like the FRED factor.

I mean really, we're commuting to/from work. Does one really need to worry about looking like your ready to ride the Tour de France? I believe that bike commuting should be practical.

On occasion, I have brought my work laptop home and just thrown it in my backpack, usually wrapped in a towel or something. I considered getting panniers a while ago, but was worried about damaging the laptop. I would think that panniers are a less than ideal place to carry electronics. I would definitely not put my personal laptop in panniers

That being said, I do like the idea of panniers for those times when I wish I had more room, and avoiding the sweaty back as well.

I'd like to know if anyone has panniers to blame for damaging a laptop...

-Erik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.