Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Panniers vs Backpack

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Panniers vs Backpack

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 10:21 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I love my paniers... I have a set of small 21 litre paniers and a set of 45 litre paniers that can be used together on my double racked bikes.

I have a nice backpack with a hydration pack but I only use that on my mtb or on cooler days as it just gets too hot.

I have been using the 21 litre paniers a lot as they are just the right size for my day to day commute, aren't too large, and discourage me from packing the kitchen sink when I go out.

They also fit my folder better than the larger bags...

Old 06-19-08, 10:25 AM
Zin
On your what?!?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been bike commuting with a laptop and pannier for several years now. Never had any damage to any of my employers laptops. Even though, I do NOT use laptop specific panniers. Never have. The only thing I do special is wrap it in a plastic trash bag for rainy commutes.

I can understand the concern you have. My experience has been that it is not an issue with a little common sense.

Now, if you crash and land on the side where the laptops is... well, all bets are off there.
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 06-19-08, 11:17 AM
lil brown bat

Bikes: 1 road, 1 Urban Assault Vehicle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sean000
I will say that after using all types of bags for many years, I use panniers the most and think they are the most comfortable way to haul things on your bike. I think it is hard to find a problem with panniers.
  1. Less secure than either messenger bag or backpack.
  2. Hassle if you have to stop to go in a store -- do you leave it there and risk it being stolen, or carry it with you? In which case, you've got the hassle of taking it off and the hassle of carrying an awkward burden.
  3. Hassle if you need to take your bike up a passenger elevator (which almost always means vertically).
Old 06-19-08, 11:52 AM
pluc

Bikes: Surly 1x1 with Nexux 8 "Red line"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not, backpacks and messenger bags are the ones which are the most dangerous in most cases. They move around (most don't strap them) and make you top heavy, which ain't good if you need to make an emergency stop. They are not less secure to what you are carrying (laptop says it's going fine after almost two years of carrying around).
Hassle if you have to stop to go in a store -- do you leave it there and risk it being stolen, or carry it with you? In which case, you've got the hassle of taking it off and the hassle of carrying an awkward burden.
Come on, you just take your pannier and put it on your shoulder (given it's those convertible panniers). Takes about a second to put on and another one to put off. European double panniers are made like shopping bags, and they have a carrying handle. Just google Basil panniers to get an idea of what they look like.
Hassle if you need to take your bike up a passenger elevator (which almost always means vertically).
How so? They take less space than handlebars. Weight is certainly not a factor as you just lock your brakes in the elevator. So far, I haven't had any problem with that.
Old 06-19-08, 01:09 PM
lil brown bat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pluc
It's not, backpacks and messenger bags are the ones which are the most dangerous in most cases. They move around (most don't strap them) and make you top heavy, which ain't good if you need to make an emergency stop. They are not less secure to what you are carrying (laptop says it's going fine after almost two years of carrying around).
You misunderstand the meaning of "less secure". I've yet to have a backpack or a messenger bag fall off a bike, or off my body. I can't say the same of panniers. And a backpack or messenger bag isn't going to "make you top heavy" unless you're trying to carry a baby grand piano. Admittedly it does seem like pannier fans like to carry a lot of stuff, but that's a preference for most commuters, not a necessity.

Come on, you just take your pannier and put it on your shoulder (given it's those convertible panniers).
Oh, I see, so that's a given. Hmm. What percentage of panniers are "those convertible panniers"? Ok, so we're moving the goalposts...

Takes about a second to put on and another one to put off. European double panniers are made like shopping bags, and they have a carrying handle. Just google Basil panniers to get an idea of what they look like.
...and we're moving the goalposts some more. You said that you couldn't think of a disadvantage for panniers. I gave you three. You want to pish and tosh them away? Fine, but admit while you're doing so that those disadvantages aren't issues for you -- and that your stated disadvantages of a backpack or messenger bag aren't issues for others. You can't have it both ways.

How so? They take less space than handlebars. Weight is certainly not a factor as you just lock your brakes in the elevator. So far, I haven't had any problem with that.
Have you ever actually done this? With loaded panniers? And they just kind of placidly stayed in place when you took the bike vertical?
Old 06-19-08, 01:27 PM
545h4
Wait, what was I doing?

Bikes: '04 Haro Escape 8.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ews
Panniers. Just one though.

The Fred factor definitely plays into this. A lot of people are pretty self conscious about what they look like. I've lost count of the number of commuters I see with messenger bags and bmx/skate helmets. This was not the case a couple years ago.
+1
Old 06-19-08, 01:43 PM
eastvanbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate backpacks, panniers for me all the way. I never noticed any lack of manoeuvrability using them when riding but I guess I am so used to them. Tried backpacks a couple of times but I hate having that thing on my back! It was sweaty and uncomfortable. I figure let the bike take the weight. And I don't overload my panniers like some people think.
Old 06-19-08, 02:17 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lil brown bat
  2. Hassle if you have to stop to go in a store -- do you leave it there and risk it being stolen, or carry it with you? In which case, you've got the hassle of taking it off and the hassle of carrying an awkward burden.
  3. Hassle if you need to take your bike up a passenger elevator (which almost always means vertically).
1. Maybe if you have those panniers from the 80s that only hook on with a bungee and a hook. Most modern panniers will never fall off of your bike. Give ortliebs a try.

2. Again, modern panniers take about 2 seconds to take off your bike and about the same to put them back on. Again, my panniers have a shoulder strap which is fine for carrying in a store, and i do often.

3. I take my bike in the elevator with panniers all the time, and it is a small elevator. I have even put it in there with full camping gear. Or you just shoulder the pannier and carry the bike with the other shoulder.

I would like to see you randomly decide to pick up a 12-pack of beer, frozen pizza, cereal, bottle of wine, and veggies and fit that in your backpack. With a pannier you always have some extra space to fit things on your way home, and that is a huge advantage over a backpack. The other day i just carried a shoulder bag to work, and on my way home i wanted to get some food. It was a hard ride from the store to my house with bags hanging from the handlebars.
Old 06-19-08, 03:33 PM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I addressed all of these in my post, but I'll elaborate:

[*]Less secure than either messenger bag or backpack.
Secure meaning stability? I've used panniers since the 80s and never ever ever had one fall off. These days I use Arkel and Ortlieb panniers... both types attach and remove easily and quickly... and stay attached to the rack even when I'm traveling at fast speeds on chunky gravel or bumpy trails. Yes I've heard of panniers falling off, but I think the problem was either cheap panniers, user error, or both. The Arkels and Ortliebs are pretty foolproof though... you don't need to pay attention to what you're doing. They are simply quick, easy, and reliably secure.

[*]Hassle if you have to stop to go in a store -- do you leave it there and risk it being stolen, or carry it with you? In which case, you've got the hassle of taking it off and the hassle of carrying an awkward burden.
I mention in my original post that this is one of the advantages of messenger bags and backpacks... if you make frequent stops you have nothing to take off the bike. However, if you use a backpack you will need to take the backpack off so you can get to your lock, lock up the bike, and put the backpack on again. In my experience it's just as quick to remove a pannier. Messenger bags are the speed winners here though... just unbuckle, swing around, and open the flap. Still... not like taking off a pannier takes more than two seconds... unless you have panniers with a bad mounting system. Good ones go on just as quickly.

[*]Hassle if you need to take your bike up a passenger elevator (which almost always means vertically).
Really? Have you ever done this yourself? I have... many times. I used to take my bike on the DC Metro, which requires long elevator rides to the underground. I never noticed this being any more difficult with panniers than without. If your panniers are on the front it might be another story, but how many people commute with front panniers? The front end of my commuter weighs the same whether I'm carrying a pannier (or two) on the back or not. I simply lift the handlebars until the bike is vertical, and hold the rear brake to keep the bike from moving if I need to. If anything a bulky backpack can be more annoying in a crowded elevator because you, your bike, and your backpack take up more room than just you and your bike (with panniers attached) would.

As I mentioned in my original post, there are advantages to messenger bags and backpacks sometimes. Messenger bags are absolutely the best when you need to get in and out of your bag quickly. Handlebar bags are also great for this, but messenger bags hold a lot more. Also, if you need to lift or carry your bike a lot, a messenger or backpack will make this easier.

I also feel a bit better about carrying an expensive camera or laptop in a messenger bag or backpack. The contents of a pannier may be subjected to more bumps and vibrations. Maybe not enough to do any damage, but I just feel better keeping the camera on my back (even though that's probably the worst place for it if I have an accident). That said I've carried my camera and laptop in a pannier many times. Not something I worry about for road riding, but off-road is where I feel better keeping it on my back.

Sean
Old 06-19-08, 04:41 PM
lil brown bat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zoltani
1. Maybe if you have those panniers from the 80s that only hook on with a bungee and a hook. Most modern panniers will never fall off of your bike. Give ortliebs a try.
Treks, vintage 2007. More than a hook and a bungee. Still didn't work.

Originally Posted by zoltani
I would like to see you randomly decide to pick up a 12-pack of beer, frozen pizza, cereal, bottle of wine, and veggies and fit that in your backpack.
Well, see, I ride my bike to commute...not to carry home a week's worth of groceries. If grocery-getting is part of the requirement, well and good, but I didn't hear that from OP.

(and if it were, I'd go with a milk crate over panniers)
Old 06-19-08, 04:44 PM
lil brown bat

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Really? Have you ever done this yourself? I have... many times.
I do...every day. Panniers make a difference. And of course they're not on the front.

I also feel a bit better about carrying an expensive camera or laptop in a messenger bag or backpack.
Boston streets...I tried panniers + laptop. Mistake. Big mistake.
Old 06-19-08, 05:24 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Treks, vintage 2007. More than a hook and a bungee. Still didn't work.

Well, see, I ride my bike to commute...not to carry home a week's worth of groceries. If grocery-getting is part of the requirement, well and good, but I didn't hear that from OP.

(and if it were, I'd go with a milk crate over panniers)
I'm not familiar with trek's mounting system, but if it falls off then it is poorly designed.

Being able to pick up beer and munchies on the way home is a huge advantage. The OP wanted to know the advantages of panniers vs. backpacks, so i simply stated one. If you want to pick it apart with a fine comb then feel free. BTW a milk crate is tiny compared to open ortlieb rollers, and less secure too since with the ortliebs you can cinch down the top.
Old 06-19-08, 06:21 PM
pluc

Bikes: Surly 1x1 with Nexux 8 "Red line"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You misunderstand the meaning of "less secure". I've yet to have a backpack or a messenger bag fall off a bike, or off my body. I can't say the same of panniers. And a backpack or messenger bag isn't going to "make you top heavy" unless you're trying to carry a baby grand piano. Admittedly it does seem like pannier fans like to carry a lot of stuff, but that's a preference for most commuters, not a necessity.
Only the crappy ones fall off. In years of cycling, it has never happened to me once, and I've ridden almost each day in the last three years. I do much more with my bike than going to work. I do shopping and groceries with it too, so top-heaviness is a concern. Carrying notes, books and a laptop, my u-lock, lunch and sometimes other stuff is certainly much more of a hassle.

I've used a backpack for years and made the switch for good. I know perfectly well how each system works. I'm not saying backpacks and messenger bags can't work, heck, I use both too, but panniers are the best solution to me.

Oh, I see, so that's a given. Hmm. What percentage of panniers are "those convertible panniers"? Ok, so we're moving the goalposts...
Absolutely not. You're putting all the panniers in the same description. You need to acknowledge not all panniers are the same. If you're using touring panniers in the city, I can only say WTF. Different panniers for different uses make sense. Most panniers companies have these panniers that convert to backpacks or messenger-like bags.

...and we're moving the goalposts some more. You said that you couldn't think of a disadvantage for panniers. I gave you three. You want to pish and tosh them away? Fine, but admit while you're doing so that those disadvantages aren't issues for you -- and that your stated disadvantages of a backpack or messenger bag aren't issues for others. You can't have it both ways.
The panniers I am describing for city use are different than touring panniers. To me these have all the advantages of both systems.

Have you ever actually done this? With loaded panniers? And they just kind of placidly stayed in place when you took the bike vertical?
First of all, I don't see why I'd take my bike vertical in the escalator when I take it in the subway. Secondly, I can't do that because I have fenders and they would hit the floor. Third, if I had to take my bike vertical, I'd get the panniers off the bike and onto my back.

Last edited by pluc; 06-19-08 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 11:37 PM
rmp5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PurpleK
I've found Wald folding baskets to work great on my commuter. They're out of the way when I don't need them and the attachments are so that I don't have to worry about anyone lifting them off the bike when I'm not around. When I commute, I just drop my bag in the basket and go. No tie downs, no straps, no sweaty back, no worries.
https://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/...ingbasket.html
Oh wow...the pics are all missing Toto! lol

As a soon-to-be commuter, I really have no idea what works or not. I do know I don't like the look of racks, baskets, fenders, etc on my bike so I'm going to start with a backpack or messenger bag (I was watching some vids of NYC bike messengers on youtube last night and I see where the term "messenger bag" came from. Those dudes are CRAZY, too...) and see how that goes. If it works, cool...if not, I'll go from there. A skinny bag that hangs down from the top tube or something might be cool...if it even exists...
Old 06-20-08, 06:22 AM
JMRobertson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading the replies, it seems to me to depend mainly on application, temperature, fitness level, distance traveled, shopping habits, etc.

In short, you're not getting anything out of this. Try both. It's a long life and you have plenty of time to experiment. Try a backpack for a year, then try panniers. See which is best for you. I'll stick with my backpack and sweaty back. I don't carry all that much. An occasonal book or stack of papers. My commute is 16 miles. Even the empty rack would be an annoyance much less a rack with empty panniers on it.
Old 06-20-08, 06:50 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I commute with a backpack. Previously to this, I commuted with panniers. I changed because I switched to a folding bike, and didn't want anything to interfere with the fold.

When I set up my new commuting folder, I'll find some panniers that don't interfere with the fold, and hopefully a rack that isn't too big and clunky. I don't see any good reason to add unnecessary weight to my shoulders and back, even if it's only a change of clothes.

I carried a laptop in my Jandd panniers for years, in their laptop sleeve. It's suspended from the top of the pannier, so it absorbs much less road vibration than stuff sitting at the bottom. No problems at all--I'm typing on that laptop this very moment.

If your panniers are falling off your bike, something's wrong. Did you use a rack approved by the manufacturer? Did you follow directions? As for moving the goalposts: backpacks can cause rotator cuff injury if you use the wrong one, or don't know how to fit one. There's a downside to everything if you do it stupidly. Which I do. Often.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 06-20-08, 07:54 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
People's opinions on how to carry their stuff varies as much as what type of bike to ride. For the most part it's personal preference after the trial and error process. If you think that you can make do with a backpack, then try it. You determine that's not your thing, so be it. Try something else. As for me, it's the milk crate + ? (Now to find a rack that will allow me to mount my old Nashbar Townie baskets along w/ said crate....)
Old 06-20-08, 09:34 AM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
People's opinions on how to carry their stuff varies as much as what type of bike to ride. For the most part it's personal preference after the trial and error process. If you think that you can make do with a backpack, then try it. You determine that's not your thing, so be it. Try something else. As for me, it's the milk crate + ? (Now to find a rack that will allow me to mount my old Nashbar Townie baskets along w/ said crate....)
I guess the thread was "Panniers vs Backpack," but of course we've all mentioned milk crates, messenger bags, and other methods as well. I'm surprised nobody mentioned trailers! (Unless I missed that part of the thread).

I actually see a lot of bicycles with trailers. Most of the time they are hauling kids, but often it just looks like they are hauling groceries or some other gear. I've seen some bikes pulling the longer trailers as well (that don't have the child seats) and Xtracycles seem to be getting more popular these days. I've even seen a number of adult tricycles with platform racks lately.

But if you really need to haul a lot of stuff on your commute, panniers and backpacks are for wimps. Get yourself one of those industrial utility trikes that have the huge platform beds on the front. You know... the ones that you can use to haul and sell ice cream, deliver cut flowers, etc. If you find one change of work clothes to be limiting, you'll be able to carry your entire wardrobe around with you!

Sean
Old 06-20-08, 06:16 PM
rmp5s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess the thread was "Panniers vs Backpack," but of course we've all mentioned milk crates, messenger bags, and other methods as well. I'm surprised nobody mentioned trailers! (Unless I missed that part of the thread).

I actually see a lot of bicycles with trailers. Most of the time they are hauling kids, but often it just looks like they are hauling groceries or some other gear. I've seen some bikes pulling the longer trailers as well (that don't have the child seats) and Xtracycles seem to be getting more popular these days. I've even seen a number of adult tricycles with platform racks lately.

But if you really need to haul a lot of stuff on your commute, panniers and backpacks are for wimps. Get yourself one of those industrial utility trikes that have the huge platform beds on the front. You know... the ones that you can use to haul and sell ice cream, deliver cut flowers, etc. If you find one change of work clothes to be limiting, you'll be able to carry your entire wardrobe around with you!

Sean
YES! I plan on getting a trailor for going to the store and haulin my daughter around till she's old enough to ride her own bike. I forgot to mention that. It's a good way (pretty much the only way, really) to do it if you have to carry a lot of stuff but don't want the saddle bag/rack look...like me...
Old 06-23-08, 10:14 AM
Jurgen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrockway
The Arkel Bug looks nice. I have some of their other panniers, and I love them. If you get something like this, then it can be a backpack when you want it to be and a pannier otherwise.
+1

The Bug is Great! It's not cheap, but it's totally worth every single Cnd. cent it'll cost you.
Old 06-23-08, 12:58 PM
77midget
me ride bike good

Bikes: Trek 4300; Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a trunk bag, rack, and some small panniers to replace my backpack. The ride is much more enjoyable, as the freedom of movement is much greater. I fit clothes and such in one side, towel, bike tools and such in the other. I use the trunk bag for cell, wallet, lunch, keys, etc. I don't have to worry about removing anything, though, since I keep my bike inside my office which I can lock.
Old 06-23-08, 03:36 PM
ScottE22

Bikes: 2018 Rocky Mountain Growler, 2016 Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great setup! I'm definitely finding that a second pannier would be nice.
Old 06-23-08, 03:47 PM
ok_commuter
bulletproof tiger

Bikes: Waterford 2200, Litespeed Tuscany, Salsa La Cruz, Kona Fire Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike4More
Yeah whats up with that. Darwin awards are usually for people who kill themselves doing dumb things. Funny though, the commuters I've seen lately with backpacks are usually the ones riding on the sidewalk or in the wrong direction on the right side of the street. Darwin awards indeed.
+1 per day at least