Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mixing brands with your riding gear?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-02-15, 09:02 PM
ShaneHanchey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel like this question is a bit elementary, but what is everyone's opinion on mixing brand when it comes to your kit? Not so much in terms of matching things like jersey and bib short brands...but more along the lines of gear that is made by bike manufacturers and the like. For instance, would you buy a helmet from Specialized when riding your Ridley, etc? I bought a Bontrager helmet about a month ago because I needed one quick and liked it the most out of what my LBS had to offer, but I ride a Giant and it seems Bontrager is generally associated with Trek.

I support and agree with whole idea that its really up to what you like...but lets face it, someone in the crowd is undoubtedly judging you and who wants to be the poor fellow everyone is pointing at and snickering about. I'm a noob in every sense of the word, just trying to hide it from everyone I run across as best I can.

Last edited by ShaneHanchey; 09-02-15 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-02-15, 09:12 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Someone may judge you but do you care?
Old 09-02-15, 09:14 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Someone doesnt like what Im wearing.... too bad.
Old 09-02-15, 09:23 PM
wedgeSG

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 5.2 '14 Giant Thrive - (wife's)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
de-badge, or buy logo-free items if possible. I don't have a problem with SPD on road for most of it. Visor mtn. bike helmets on a road bike do look really outta place to me though. Hard not to notice all of our goofy stryro-cooler hats and stare at them a bit more than usual.
Old 09-02-15, 09:24 PM
ShaneHanchey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose I'm just a bit self concious. I don't worry so much when I'm riding about on my own, but feel during big events like I probably stand out like sore thumb. Just trying to figure out the little faux pas'. Ultimately i reckon everyone started out in the same boat.
Old 09-02-15, 09:29 PM
Ghefty

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro700, BikeE NX, BikeE AT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vive la differance mix it up and embrace the clash.
Old 09-02-15, 09:50 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I wear a Specialized helmet and don't ride one and I'd expect there are a whole lot of folks who would say the same. Don't think anyone much cares.

OTOH, if you were wearing a jersey boldly emblazoned with a different brand name than you were riding, that might look a little odd.
Old 09-02-15, 09:52 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If my socks match, its a good day
Old 09-02-15, 10:02 PM
EllDC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my jersey from a bicycle co op for $5. No, it doesn't match.
Old 09-02-15, 10:04 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Wut?
Old 09-02-15, 10:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneHanchey
I feel like this question is a bit elementary, but what is everyone's opinion on mixing brand when it comes to your kit? Not so much in terms of matching things like jersey and bib short brands...but more along the lines of gear that is made by bike manufacturers and the like. For instance, would you buy a helmet from Specialized when riding your Ridley, etc? I bought a Bontrager helmet about a month ago because I needed one quick and liked it the most out of what my LBS had to offer, but I ride a Giant and it seems Bontrager is generally associated with Trek.

I support and agree with whole idea that its really up to what you like...but lets face it, someone in the crowd is undoubtedly judging you and who wants to be the poor fellow everyone is pointing at and snickering about. I'm a noob in every sense of the word, just trying to hide it from everyone I run across as best I can.
A Specialized helmet while riding a Ridley? Good god, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

Old 09-02-15, 10:42 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
This thread has potential.
Old 09-02-15, 11:26 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I feel like this question is a bit elementary, but what is everyone's opinion on mixing brand when it comes to your kit?
So long as I'm not sponsored by a bike company who pays me to use their gear, I don't care about the name painted on my parts & accessories. Use what works for you and don't worry about other peoples' opinions.

For instance, would you buy a helmet from Specialized when riding your Ridley, etc? I bought a Bontrager helmet about a month ago because I needed one quick and liked it the most out of what my LBS had to offer, but I ride a Giant and it seems Bontrager is generally associated with Trek.
If it's comfy and keeps your head safe, keep using your helmet and don't worry about whose brand name is stamped on it.

As for Trek and Bontrager... Trek bought Keith Bontrager's company in 1995 and continues to use the brand name for their own line of accessories.

I think you'd probably stand out more if everything DID match. Quite a few of us have multiple bikes from different makers and we generally don't have completely different sets of accessories for each bike.

Last edited by SkyDog75; 09-02-15 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-02-15, 11:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Hmmm... Levis or Lees will go with just about anything
Old 09-03-15, 12:53 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I match my socks and gloves. Usually tires. The rest. I use the best for the job. Cheap shorts to ride into town, good ones that are clean and ready to go for real rides. Makes depend on fit which tends to change as manufactures/distributors change suppliers/styles/cuts etc. I have never purchased a "gruppo' except as furnished on a new complete bike. And the last new complete bike I purchased was in 1977.

My best bike uses DT shifters so compatibility is not an issue. It has a Shimano crankset, Forte LOOK compatible pedals, Dura Ace front derailleur, Campy Mirage rear and Campy hub/cassette. SRAM chain. (The crankset and bottom bracket will probably be replaced by Sugino to get the Q-factor down for my knees.)

My fix gears all use Velocity Aero rear rims (so they can be used on my best fix gear with its long dropout. The Aero rims have a vertically deep surface that is suitable for braking meaning I can slide the wheel a long ways forward and back and keep the brake pad on the rim. Front rims are the Open Pros I use for most of my good wheels. Front hubs are Ultegra or Chorus. Rear Miche track. The good geared bike shares front wheels with the good fix gear but uses Campy rears in case I ever decide to go brifter.

It is coincidence when my bars match my stems. I look at bar shape and stem length as fit issues and somewhat independent. I hoard both so I can make up bikes that fit. And I may well run a Nitto bar and a Cinelli stem. Or whatever.

Seats, pumps and cages are all the same. Most of my levers are Tektro but I use 4 different caliper systems (canti, dual pivor, side pull and center pull). My 1979 custom has a 1967 Peugeot UO-8 seat pin because for the hanger for the canti brake cable, it was the right pin. Still is.

So you can see, I am all over the place and do it with no shame at all.

Ben
Old 09-03-15, 12:57 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
If I see you out and about, don't be surprised if I push you off your bike. How dare you even contemplate not going the full suite of branded products to match your bike...
Old 09-03-15, 01:04 AM
ChristianCote
Professional Kona Shill

Bikes: Working on a new 2018 Kona Sutra LTD

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While it always feels warm and fuzzy when all your stuff seems to go together in just that right way, I don't think anyone (of importance) will judge you for picking and choosing, especially if you pick and choose based on what specifically works for you or is best in class.
Old 09-03-15, 02:07 AM
92Esquire

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I'm odd, but I tend to think that when a person has kit or pieces that don't match the ride they're on a the time they're probably experienced, and have a history in the sport. Matchy-matchy tends to be a sponsored rider or someone pretty new to the sport who went to their local Specialized or Trek dealer and dropped a large check for a full-meal-deal on everything.

So I'll wear my old Trek shorts and gloves with Specialized shoes and Shimano pedals while riding my SRAM equipped Salsa....
Old 09-03-15, 03:59 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't even own a "cycling kit"...I can only imagine what fashion conscious cyclists think about me.
Old 09-03-15, 04:29 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I suppose I'm just a bit self concious. I don't worry so much when I'm riding about on my own, but feel during big events like I probably stand out like sore thumb. Just trying to figure out the little faux pas'. Ultimately i reckon everyone started out in the same boat.
How much notice do you take of other riders wear around you on these rides?

I think most people are concentrating on what they are doing rather than judging whether someone has committed a fashion faux pas. There are exceptions, but they are going to stand out in any audience anyway.

And if you really get into cycling and you still have these doubts, wait until you get to decide if Ultegra shifters match Dura-Ace derailleurs, or 105 pedals, or even, heaven forbid, you want to use Campy brakes on a Shimano-equipped bike!
Old 09-03-15, 04:47 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 608 Posts
I didn't realize I was supposed to care about mixing brands ...... I've been doing it wrong all these years ??

"...would you buy a helmet from Specialized when riding your Ridley,..."
So you should wear a Ridley helmet instead ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-03-15, 05:08 AM
jsjcat

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone 4.5, 2013 Trek Domane 4.3, 2009 Trek FX 7.6

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last big ride I had a Specialized helmet, Bontrager jersey, Pearl Izumi shorts, no-name socks and Shimano shoes on a Trek bike. Everyone else around me was wearing bits and pieces too. Who cares!
Old 09-03-15, 05:27 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Wear what you want; mix-and-match as you see fit. I don't own any bike shorts from the same manufacturer of any of my bike jerseys, and my helmet is by a different manufacturer of any of the shorts or jerseys.
Old 09-03-15, 05:28 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I feel like this question is a bit elementary, but what is everyone's opinion on mixing brand when it comes to your kit?
Nothing I have matches. On my last ride I was wearing Specialized-brand cycling shorts and Priority Bicycles t-shirt. The bike I ride most often is a mashup up of Specialized parts (wheels, grips, seat) and a Gary Fisher frame.
Old 09-03-15, 07:43 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN
If my socks match, its a good day
Match? I usually go for clean.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.