Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a CriticalCycle Fixie

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 09-13-15, 02:43 PM
StayGold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a cheap bike right now (under $250) since my previous bike was destroyed by some ahole when I parked it at school this past Monday.
This (but the 2011 model): (Save Up to 60% Off Shimano Road Bikes - Dawes Lightning Sport AL)
I rode it for a year and 2 months.

Now, I want to get a new bike and I don't want to spend too much on it. I don't care much about whether the parts are not good or whatever (just if the parts fall off after a couple weeks of riding it); I just want a bike that I can use to commute from school or go to other places.

Also, the routes that I usually take have a lot of downhills (I live in San Francisco), so is it safe to ride downhill with a fixie, or would it be better to just walk down? I've never ridden a fixie so I don't know how it works.

The bike that I'm thinking of getting is this: Critical Cycles Fixed-Gear / Single-Speed Bikes with Pista Handlebars | With Flip-Flop
I prefer this bike because of the handlebars (I don't like the BMX ones because of the feel)
Old 09-13-15, 03:14 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Be careful with hills if you haven't ridden fixed before. It's safe if you know what you're doing. Riding with two brakes is highly advisable.
Old 09-13-15, 04:01 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Be careful with hills if you haven't ridden fixed before. It's safe if you know what you're doing. Riding with two brakes is highly advisable.
+1

Run a brake. Even benny gold runs a brake on his bike. Be 1 less person that has to be peeled off the back of a muni bus.
There was a rather recent SOL SF story about messenger that turned his life upside down when he couldn't stop in time and plastered his skull on the side of a car at an intersection during the filming of an edit.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 09-13-15, 04:10 PM
StayGold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE YOU POST A COMMENT (not just part of it and only answer part of it)

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Originally Posted by Leukybear
+1

Run a brake. Even benny gold runs a brake on his bike. Be 1 less person that has to be peeled off the back of a muni bus.
There was a rather recent SOL SF story about messenger that turned his life upside down when he couldn't stop in time and plastered his skull on the side of a car at an intersection during the filming of an edit.
While I appreciate the replies, you're not answering the main question. The main question is whether or not the CriticalCycle fixie I want to buy fits my situation (riding to and from school, and riding around SF)
Also, I know that for braking on a fixie, you put your foot on the front wheel to slow down the bike.

Last edited by StayGold; 09-13-15 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-13-15, 04:23 PM
BilbroSwaggins

Bikes: Scott Addict Cross/ Ritchey Road Logic/ Niner Air 9

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StayGold
PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE YOU POST A COMMENT (not just part of it and only answer part of it)
Old 09-13-15, 05:03 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I know that for braking on a fixie, you put your foot on the front wheel to slow down the bike.
You should not be riding fixed
Old 09-13-15, 05:06 PM
criticalfixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've posted about this bike before, but here is the run down.

I've had a critical fixie for nearly 2 years now. Its a good bike for the price but the quality of some of the components run the cost up a bit, i've spent about $100 fixing/upgrading parts. I added a front brake, changed the gearing as the gear ratio is too high for the sake of your knees, and changed the handlebar as it broke on me.

My rear bearings (Quango hub) failed and it is impossible to find replacement cones, so I have just installed new ball bearings for the time being. I've heard this may have been because they were adjusted to tight from the factory.

Last edited by criticalfixie; 09-13-15 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-13-15, 05:20 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
So critical. It'll fit your personality that's for sure.

Also, NO.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 09-13-15, 06:00 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Putting your foot on the front wheel to stop is a good technique, I also reccoment carrying a watermelon in your bag for stability
Old 09-13-15, 06:25 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That bike looks perfect for crashing while Ted shredding.
Old 09-13-15, 07:15 PM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

While I appreciate the replies, you're not answering the main question. The main question is whether or not the CriticalCycle fixie I want to buy fits my situation (riding to and from school, and riding around SF)
If you're going downhill you will be backpedaling all the way down. Feather your brake lever but don't put your damn foot on the wheel. Your feet should NOT leave the pedals.
Old 09-13-15, 07:17 PM
Flatulentfox

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Troll.
Old 09-13-15, 07:22 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a cheap bike right now (under $250) since my previous bike was destroyed by some ahole when I parked it at school this past Monday.
This (but the 2011 model): (Save Up to 60% Off Shimano Road Bikes - Dawes Lightning Sport AL)
I rode it for a year and 2 months.

Now, I want to get a new bike and I don't want to spend too much on it. I don't care much about whether the parts are not good or whatever (just if the parts fall off after a couple weeks of riding it); I just want a bike that I can use to commute from school or go to other places.

Also, the routes that I usually take have a lot of downhills (I live in San Francisco), so is it safe to ride downhill with a fixie, or would it be better to just walk down? I've never ridden a fixie so I don't know how it works.

The bike that I'm thinking of getting is this: Critical Cycles Fixed-Gear / Single-Speed Bikes with Pista Handlebars | With Flip-Flop
I prefer this bike because of the handlebars (I don't like the BMX ones because of the feel)
Like other's have said, ride with brakes. You should consider using your shoe's rubber on the rubber to slow down will make the cost of your Converse go up, and possibly your medical expenses.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't expect this bike to last very long. And a cost to consider is the assembly and maintenance it'll require. If you just want to ride within a few blocks and don't mind walking home once a week due to mechanical malfunction after it 'breaks-in' a bit, I'd say get it.
Old 09-13-15, 07:26 PM
SCK
Gold chains on everything

Bikes: Heavy Pedal Zephyr, '16 Mash Work, '14 Cinelli Parallax, C-Dale Synapse Disc

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#kilott
Old 09-13-15, 07:39 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
I've heard that Big Shot bikes are good.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 09-13-15, 07:49 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It depends on which shoes you use for braking.
Old 09-13-15, 07:59 PM
elmore leonard

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A fixie, any fixie, is not made for riding the Streets of San Francico.
Old 09-13-15, 08:53 PM
Noli Timere

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. That's how it's done. I think you're all set. Now get out there on them hills and make sure you wear a GoPro and post a vid here when you're done. Or have your next of kin do it.
Old 09-13-15, 09:25 PM
StayGold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elmore leonard
A fixie, any fixie, is not made for riding the Streets of San Francico.
Yet, people still do it. I'm assuming you don't live in SF. If you did live here, you would see that the whole city is littered with fixies, all the way from Market St to SFSU. Most of the fixies that I have seen don't even have brakes on them.

Originally Posted by Noli Timere
Yep. That's how it's done. I think you're all set. Now get out there on them hills and make sure you wear a GoPro and post a vid here when you're done. Or have your next of kin do it.
I laughed so hard at your comment that I almost died hur hur.
Old 09-13-15, 09:44 PM
elmore leonard

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yet, people still do it. I'm assuming you don't live in SF. If you did live here, you would see that the whole city is littered with fixies, all the way from Market St to SFSU. Most of the fixies that I have seen don't even have brakes on them.

I laughed so hard at your comment that I almost died hur hur.
Next you will be telling us Karl Malden rides one. I suppose they ride them down hill and bus them up hill.
Old 09-13-15, 09:45 PM
BilbroSwaggins

Bikes: Scott Addict Cross/ Ritchey Road Logic/ Niner Air 9

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by criticalfixie
changed the gearing as the gear ratio is too high for the sake of your knees, and changed the handlebar as it broke on me.
My rear bearings (Quango hub) failed and it is impossible to find replacement cones, so I have just installed new ball bearings for the time being. I've heard this may have been because they were adjusted to tight from the factory.

perfect example of what you're getting, Staygold.
hope you have a good helmet. or a hefty life insurance policy.
Old 09-13-15, 09:46 PM
thedapperest

Bikes: KHS Flite 100 Road Track Fissie Biek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah because it's the hot trend, technically fixed gear bikes aren't even made to be ridden in the street in the first place. I started out with a front brake and you should start out with at least that as well. Whether you'll want to take that off at any point is up to you, but when you're going down steep hills such as San Fran you'll probably end up wanting both
Old 09-13-15, 09:54 PM
zammykoo

Bikes: Trek 510, Dahon Classic III, Specialized Tricross, Raleigh Technium 460

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
If there's no shortage of FG in your area you should find a better quality one used. Keep the brake on while learning to ride and decide later if you want to take it off. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 09-13-15, 10:23 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Definitely a Darwin Award candidate.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 09-13-15, 11:33 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I've heard that Big Shot bikes are good.
You heard wrong.

And to the OP. You have a lot to learn, and this could be the place to learn it, if you are willing to listen. It seems as though you already have your mind made up on what you want and how to ride it. When you get it, and realize that it is pretty much junk, and riding it without a brake or your foot on the wheel isn't safe....you will either leave this forum, or come back and ask again for help.

Why not save yourself the time and effort, and just listen to the sage advice that some of the members of this forum have to offer. I don't know much, but I do know that you DO NOT put your foot on the front wheel to stop. If and when you ride a fixed gear bike, not a fixie, but a fixed gear bike, you will see what I am talking about.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.