Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installing Bottle Cage Bosses

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 11:10 AM
IcySmooth52

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My RXS is made to be a beauty in simplicity, but this simplicity didn't only take away shifting! It also doesn't have any place to put a bottle cage. I tried out a saddle-rail cage setup, but I had it and it's certainly not good for cross ridding where mud gets on the waterbottle.

Has anyone ever put waterbottle threading (bosses) on a frame where there wasn't one intentionally?
Old 10-26-15, 11:15 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
How often do you reach down and drink from a bottle during a 'cross race?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-26-15, 11:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Riv Nuts .. you drill a hole , then they expand to fill it ..

Or just strap on the cage Twofish Unlimited And Klickfix , but for cross racing the bottle cage will dig into you ribs
when you have to carry the Bike and Run .

Gravel-grinding probably has no dismounts , And run ups..

I had an AlAn Cross Super in the early 80's, I Put the bottle cage on the handlebars none in the usual places on the frame.

Brazing bosses into a steel frame require paint to be replaced, All or Part,
Old 10-26-15, 12:47 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Here are some suggestions:
https://recklesscognition.wordpress....ws-and-bosses/
Adding Water Bottle Cages to Bicycles without Braze
Old 10-26-15, 02:39 PM
Jamminatrix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Considering your RSX is new, do not use RivNuts unless you want to void your warranty! It's an easy way for them to fail any claim.

Stick with a clamp style mount. Or wedge in your back pocket. Or drink and toss in the feedzone.
Old 10-26-15, 02:40 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Just did this for the first time this past weekend with rivnuts.

A few days after ordering I received an email saying I would receive them sometime in 2018. They arrived the next day.
Flat Head Aluminum M5 Rivet Nut Rivnut Nutsert 5mm (Pack of 25): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

From Park Tool website, instructions for DYI rivet installer. Worked beautifully.
Water Bottle Fittings - Park Tool

It's just very simple
1) Drill pilot hole with a small bit
2) Drill hole to match size of rivnut (I "think" it was 9/32", but don't go on my memory)
3) Put some epoxy around rivnut under the flange
4) Put into hole and use DIY tool above to seat rivnut
5) Use OMS or similar to wipe off any epoxy that squeezes out onto frame
Old 10-26-15, 03:13 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Be very careful when considering Rivnuts. Some alu tubes have a very thin wall thickness and don't have the strength to hold a bottle cage. Some of course are thick enough to handle it and mfrs. sometimes will reinforce the area around the bolt holes but installing the nuts without knowing the tubes strength may ruin your frame.
Old 10-26-15, 03:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,474 Times in 1,835 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Be very careful when considering Rivnuts. Some alu tubes have a very thin wall thickness and don't have the strength to hold a bottle cage. Some of course are thick enough to handle it and mfrs. sometimes will reinforce the area around the bolt holes but installing the nuts without knowing the tubes strength may ruin your frame.
Thanks very much for this thought. I was about add another mount to my old Cannondale, when I read this and realized the current bosses are reinfiorced---any I added wouldn't be.

Guess I need a new solution, but beats needing a new frame. Thanks.
Old 10-26-15, 05:02 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I've had good experience with Zefal clamp on mounts on my son's Focus Mares. Also Minoura makes mounts to stick a bottle cage almost anywhere.
Old 10-26-15, 05:29 PM
habilis

Bikes: 90's Bianchi Premio, Raleigh-framed fixed gear, Trek 3500, Centurion hybrid, Dunelt 3-spd, Trek 800

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
Just did this for the first time this past weekend with rivnuts.

A few days after ordering I received an email saying I would receive them sometime in 2018. They arrived the next day.
Flat Head Aluminum M5 Rivet Nut Rivnut Nutsert 5mm (Pack of 25): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

From Park Tool website, instructions for DYI rivet installer. Worked beautifully.
Water Bottle Fittings - Park Tool

It's just very simple
1) Drill pilot hole with a small bit
2) Drill hole to match size of rivnut (I "think" it was 9/32", but don't go on my memory)
3) Put some epoxy around rivnut under the flange
4) Put into hole and use DIY tool above to seat rivnut
5) Use OMS or similar to wipe off any epoxy that squeezes out onto frame
I'm interested in doing this on an old steel-framed Raleigh. I tried the Elite VIP holder and the rubber straps allowed the cage to spin around on the tube. I may order a few extra rivnuts and do some trial runs on some thin-walled steel tubing similar to the bike frame. Experimenting may show how much torque is needed for a strong installation. I wonder if a rivnut that's loosened can be torqued down some more and re-tightened? The epoxy is also a good idea.
Old 10-26-15, 06:13 PM
wedgeSG

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 5.2 '14 Giant Thrive - (wife's)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I've done rivnuts on steel frames. It's is a get it right the first time kind of thing. Use your intended cage as a template and make sure to watch your centerline on the tube. On steel, (wherever you put a rivnut really), throw down with the squeeze on that puppy. If the insert is not tight, and the fastener is tighter in the insert than the insert is in the hole, it's a expletive filled trip to spin city. Hadn't heard about an epoxy boost, and that might be a good idea. Once installed, run your fasteners in snug, don't torque them down like a greased lug nut spun with an impact wrench. Maybe a drop of light-duty blue or lighter duty still loctite (green?) and leave it alone. Hopefully when you need to remove it, it will still be removable. Extra free tip, check placement in frame with the bottle in cage before you drill the first hole. Really helpful if the bottle can get into the cage once you are done. You can guess how I figured that out......