Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 03-03-20, 08:38 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,220 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Also access to posting on the buy/sell forums.

It seems like C&V is the only really active one, though.

As far as ads, I use adblock all the time so my overall internet experience is almost entirely ad-free.
I was hoping for a shirt.
Old 03-03-20, 08:39 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
If you are not seeing the ads from Bikesdirect, you may be missing out on the DEAL OF THE CENTURY!
The only website I have adblock disabled on is Wunderground since it really behaves badly when adblock is on. I mean, it behaves badly with it off too, but less so.

I currently have an advertisement for BAQSIMI.

Why the great algorithm in the sky thinks I have the beetus is beyond me.
Old 03-03-20, 08:40 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by bampilot06
I was hoping for a shirt.
Sorry, those are extra.
Old 03-03-20, 08:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I will say, every once and a while I look at the Mercier Kilo WT and start thinking about how fun it would be...

If it had cantilever brakes or discs instead of sidepulls the temptation would probably be too strong
I actually have a cheap-o BD SS bike (Dawes SST) and although it's a tank it has served me well since I got it about 7 years ago.
Old 03-03-20, 08:50 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
Nothing says Bike Forums like a Women's Boy Brief.
Old 03-03-20, 08:58 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
More good news. I feel 100% back to normal from my stupid shot.
Good. You'll be nice and fit for COVID-19.

My brother is an ER doc/tech bro in Seattle. He said people are actively shunning him (because of the ER doc part).
Old 03-03-20, 09:00 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,310 Posts
More good news. I feel 100% back to normal from my stupid shot.
How did you get rid of your surplus cytokines?

Asking for a friend.
Old 03-03-20, 09:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Received a teaser email from Cycliq last week and got the reveal email today; refreshingly, the launch isn't a product, but a free service - UpRide

I haven't looked at it thoroughly, but it looks like an attempt to centralize info/video on bad drivers and hazards to improve awareness and (hopefully) prosecution. A good start, but one thing that I'd love to see is logging of/searchable license plates - it would be much harder for a driver to shrug their shoulders and say, "I didn't see them," if there was a searchable database that showed a pattern of aggression and punishment passes.

Anyway, for those of you with cams, check it out.

Oh, and IBTM.

edited to add: I went through the motions to add an incident/video (just to look at the data fields), and it does look like there's a field for license plates. I don't know that it'll be searchable for end-users, but still

Last edited by WhyFi; 03-03-20 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-03-20, 09:33 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Received a teaser email from Cycliq last week and got the reveal email today; refreshingly, the launch isn't a product, but a free service - UpRide

I haven't looked at it thoroughly, but it looks like an attempt to centralize info/video on bad drivers and hazards to improve awareness and (hopefully) prosecution. A good start, but one thing that I'd love to see is logging of/searchable license plates - it would be much harder for a driver to shrug their shoulders and say, "I didn't see them," if there was a searchable database that showed a pattern of aggression and punishment passes.

Oh, and IBTM.

edited to add: I went through the motions to add an incident/video (just to look at the data fields), and it does look like there's a field for license plates. I don't know that it'll be searchable for end-users, but still
Oh, also - for those interested, Cycliq is having a 30% off sale with the launch of the service.
Old 03-03-20, 09:34 AM
abshipp 

I actually have a cheap-o BD SS bike (Dawes SST) and although it's a tank it has served me well since I got it about 7 years ago.
My mid-70's Motobecane satisfies my fixed gear desires well enough, but N+1 never truly sleeps.

It's a bit of a tank, too, but at least it's got a real Reynolds 531 sticker on it
Old 03-03-20, 09:37 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
We have a little dwarf palm tree in our front yard that really needs slightly warmer winter weather than we have. It was planted by the contractor we bought our house from. It was a cute little three trunk thing but with us being in not quite the right climate zone for the little tree, it’s been slowly dying. We’re down to just one of the side trunks and that arches off to one side which looked nice when there were 3 trunks but now looks weird.

So the dwarf palm has got to go. I want to replace it with a dwarf citrus tree of some kind. Help me decide which kind.

I already have Eureka lemons (these are the basic supermarket kind) and Oro blanco grapefruit which is a grapefruit pummelo cross that I super duper love.

Limes would be nice because: mojitos. I have a killer mint patch. But limes are pretty cheap at the grocery store in these parts.

Tangerines: attractive tree, but lots of fruit and peel. Potential to get overwhelmed with fruit that takes a lot of processing time to get rid of the excess (ie peeling a zillion tangerines and juicing then freezing would take forever, I ain’t got time for that)

Navel oranges overlap in season with the grapefruit (both ripen in winter), so: fruit salad. But also: overabundance of fruit. Then again: no need to buy much fruit all winter.

Valencia orange aka juice oranges, these ripen in summer. So I could have fresh citrus most of the year.

Blood oranges. Expensive at the store. Red color = phytonutrients, that’s good. This might be the winner.

Meyer lemons grow great here but I’m not wild about them, so they’re out.

I will go to the nursery this weekend and seek professional opinions. But you gotta ask Addiction too.
Old 03-03-20, 09:40 AM
LAJ
So it is

You're in to your third decade. Buckle up.

Oh, and IBTM.

https://closecalldatabase.com/
Old 03-03-20, 09:50 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
How did you get rid of your surplus cytokines?

Asking for a friend.
I took 1g Tylenol every 8 hours for two days, and let my immune system neutralize the invasion. Worked great!
Old 03-03-20, 09:55 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
I saw that 6 months back or so. Couldn't get it to work for some reason (I don't remember why), but I got the impression that it had been left hanging out to dry. Is it usable/active?
Old 03-03-20, 10:04 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28565 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 1,310 Posts
I took 1g Tylenol every 8 hours for two days, and let my immune system neutralize the invasion. Worked great!
Oh.
Old 03-03-20, 10:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by heathpack
blood oranges. Expensive at the store. Red color = phytonutrients, that’s good. This might be the winner.
ftw!
Old 03-03-20, 10:09 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
We have a little dwarf palm tree in our front yard that really needs slightly warmer winter weather than we have. It was planted by the contractor we bought our house from. It was a cute little three trunk thing but with us being in not quite the right climate zone for the little tree, it’s been slowly dying. We’re down to just one of the side trunks and that arches off to one side which looked nice when there were 3 trunks but now looks weird.

So the dwarf palm has got to go. I want to replace it with a dwarf citrus tree of some kind. Help me decide which kind.

I already have Eureka lemons (these are the basic supermarket kind) and Oro blanco grapefruit which is a grapefruit pummelo cross that I super duper love.

Limes would be nice because: mojitos. I have a killer mint patch. But limes are pretty cheap at the grocery store in these parts.

Tangerines: attractive tree, but lots of fruit and peel. Potential to get overwhelmed with fruit that takes a lot of processing time to get rid of the excess (ie peeling a zillion tangerines and juicing then freezing would take forever, I ain’t got time for that)

Navel oranges overlap in season with the grapefruit (both ripen in winter), so: fruit salad. But also: overabundance of fruit. Then again: no need to buy much fruit all winter.

Valencia orange aka juice oranges, these ripen in summer. So I could have fresh citrus most of the year.

Blood oranges. Expensive at the store. Red color = phytonutrients, that’s good. This might be the winner.

I will go to the nursery this weekend and seek professional opinions. But you gotta ask Addiction too.
I lived on a property where there were 54 trees. The tangerines were great, sweet and juicy. The navel oranges were my second favorite, they were also very sweet.
We had the dark plums, one tree had so many plums we would give them away and everyone loved them.
When I lived in the mountains my ex planted trees including a pear tree. The cold didn't bother it and it started producing small pears I think in it's second year.
Old 03-03-20, 10:11 AM
indyfabz

Oh, and IBTM.

I always thought something like this might be worthwhile. Should be expanded to include reports by pedestrians even if there is no video. Auto insurance companies might be interested if there is license plate information.
Old 03-03-20, 10:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I always thought something like this might be worthwhile. Should be expanded to include reports by pedestrians even if there is no video. Auto insurance companies might be interested if there is license plate information.
You're the legal eagle, but wouldn't it be pretty easy to shut down, or even get damages from, a database of unverified reports that was searchable by license plate number? Some municipalities, e.g., NYC, have public violation databases you can search by plate number. That's pretty good.
Old 03-03-20, 10:31 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Oh.
Are you a man or a mouse?
Old 03-03-20, 10:36 AM
LAJ
So it is

I saw that 6 months back or so. Couldn't get it to work for some reason (I don't remember why), but I got the impression that it had been left hanging out to dry. Is it usable/active?
See if this shows anything. It's active, but it looks to be primarily in this area.

https://closecalldatabase.com/incide...w-detail/2375/
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-03-20, 10:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
You're the legal eagle, but wouldn't it be pretty easy to shut down, or even get damages from, a database of unverified reports that was searchable by license plate number? Some municipalities, e.g., NYC, have public violation databases you can search by plate number. That's pretty good.
Someone could possibly go after a poster and maybe even the site (there is a law that protects U.S. websites by making them not publishers/speakers of information posted by individuals), but one would have to prove the report false. And you would likely have to show damages because I don't think it would be considered libel per se.
Old 03-03-20, 10:44 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
See if this shows anything. It's active, but it looks to be primarily in this area.

https://closecalldatabase.com/incide...w-detail/2375/
Okay, I poked through and now I remember the problem - I couldn't register. I think that there was only a register via Strava option before, but it was broken. There's an email option now, so I just registered. I might as well log on both, but I think that being able to provide video is a big bonus. Looking at the CCDB for my area, there are a number of reports, but only 3 or so since Nov, so it doesn't seem to be an active base around here.
Old 03-03-20, 10:47 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack

Blood oranges without a second thought

Old 03-03-20, 10:54 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
This is what I like about having video. Also, the problem with violation databases is that law enforcement has been really reluctant to actually enforce close passes, even in states with 3' or 4' passing laws - calling and even providing video often results in crickets, not even an internal note on the PD's system. Someone could buzz cyclists for years and then, when they finally do go too far, it appears as if they have a clean history.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.