Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Considering swapping my Race bike for an Aero bike. Thoughts?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-10-20, 08:23 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts

Has anyone recently done it?

The current pandemic situation has given me a lot more time to ride & fortunately, reduced my usual expenses (thanks to teleworking!) to a point where I am now considering buying my ''dream'' bike.

I am a long term Giant fan, but not a Propel fan (never ridden one, just don't like the look that much). I like my current TCR Adv. Pro very much, but my ideal bike has always been a Scott Foil. Of course, I would be paying more for even quality since Giant has one of the best price/quality ratio of the industry.

Main reasons for wanting to change my current bike are 1) Aero frame to increase performance, 2) Scott Foil being a bike I always wanted, 3) Deeper wheels (looking for 50mm). I am looking at the Foil 10 2020 and the only thing I dislike about it is the cable routing that is non integrated to the stem. I am keeping my mind open to other brands even if I would really like to get a Foil.

-Scott Foil 10 (Ultegra DI2) = 8 299$

List of similar Aero bikes
-Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc (Ultegra DI2) - Power meter, speed & cadence sensor included = 6 199$
-Specialized Venge Pro (Ultegra DI2) = 10 299$
-Argon 18 Nitrogen Pro (Ultegra DI2) = 7999$

I am open to your comments / suggestions on the race to aero swap & on these bikes.

Last edited by eduskator; 06-10-20 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-10-20, 09:18 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
As a long time Giant rider, and fan, and I can only comment to say that I'd immediately swap one of my Propels for that Scott.

(Of course, I've also been considering swapping one of the Propels for a newer TCR....)
Old 06-10-20, 09:28 AM
eduskator

Yeah, we all have the same illness, right?
Old 06-10-20, 09:45 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Doubt you'd see a big jump in performance, but it's always nice getting a new bike. It's weird that Scott has fully integrated cabling on the Addict, but not the Foil.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 06-10-20, 09:51 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Swap? N+1.......
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 06-10-20, 09:52 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Swap? N+1.......
I can certainly afford it, but I am just not that eager to have more than 1 bike. If I were to have 2, I'd get a gravel bike as my 2nd one
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-10-20, 10:10 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
I also consider adding a gravel bike to the herd but I have trouble justifying spending a good chunk of change for a bike that'll make me slower, I'll take higher speed on smooth pavement over slower speeds on bumps.
when I was bike shopping I checked out an aero bike vs a race bike and in my particular situation I found the aero bike to be a lot lower on the front end. For me that sealed the deal for the race bike. that was canyon though, other brands may have more similar fits between race and aero

Could also just get nice wheels for the current bike, but that's not nearly as fun as a whole new bike
Old 06-10-20, 10:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Aero is faster. Until you're going uphill. Then weight matters.

Aero bikes have typically been on the heavier side, though weights have been coming down. But if you're not doing a ton of climbing, go aero.

And really, you could build up a nice, light gravel bike and put road tires on it that would essentially replace your TCR.
Old 06-10-20, 10:16 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Eh... unless you're racing, the speed difference from an aero road frame is minimal. Even as a triathlete, while I want my tri bike as aero as can be, I want my road bike to take as many standard parts as possible (standard bars, standard brakes, standard seatpost, etc). Eft if I care if my training rides average 18.1mph instead of 18.0, or if I'm home a minute earlier.

Now, if you want it with that deep-seated lust that puts butterflies in your stomach, go get it. It's just going to be hard to find that in the end it's "worth" it if you're after the old "free speed".
Old 06-10-20, 11:23 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
I have a Venge and I have an R5, and i honestly dont "feel" faster on one vs the other. If i am, it is probably a very miniscule amount. That said, I have wanted an aero bike - specifically a Venge - pretty much since the day those were released. Last year, i treated myself. Dura Ace Di2, CLX64, the works. I am super happy about the bike and get excited about riding it. To me, that is worth more than the marginal improvement in speed.

Also, aero bikes are pretty good all-rounders these days. My Venge clocks in at around 7.3kg in a size 56. So it isnt as if getting an aero bike will compromise your riding in any way. If the Scott makes your chamois all tingly, get the Scott. Just be sure that you wont have regret about the cabling

(You can probably find a bar + stem setup where the cabling is internal in the bar and then travels either inside the stem or is tucked away underneath it, emerging at the base of the stem near the steerer. This wont be fully invisible but it will look a lot neater.)
Old 06-11-20, 07:21 AM
eduskator

So went to a LBS to see one yesterday, and was a little dissapointed (it was the Foil 20). The non-integrated cables was a big turn off. They enter inside the tube from the downtube, a few inches away from the headtube (??). For a 8.3k + tx bike, it's a big nono for me.

On the other hand, I saw the redesigned 2021 TCR... Still no integrated cables though, but the new larger downtube, and color of the Pro 1 is amazing. I know, it's not an Aero bike, but damn it's hot!

Last edited by eduskator; 06-11-20 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-11-20, 07:42 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
<--- WARNING! Trek Fanboy here

All the bikes you're interested are certainly drool-worthy and I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with any of them. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go with a more aero bike... after-all, unless you're looking for a pure climbing bike, aren't all the latest race bikes at least semi-aero these days?

For me personally, I think the latest Trek Madone just checks all the boxes... it's aero, it's a race bike, it has hidden cables, it has the ISO decoupler for a smidge of rider comfort, and I think it looks bad-@ss. The only thing I don't care for is the price, but that's a problem common to all modern aero bikes.

Ok, the Trek fanboy has left the building...
Old 06-11-20, 08:10 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I went from a race bike - Argon18 Gallium - to an aero bike - BH G7 Disc. The BH is my daily rider, although I do switch back to the Gallium every now and again. The difference in the geometry of the bikes is noticeable. I certainly feel more up-right on the race bike as compared to the BH. That said, I don't feel faster on one bike vs. the other. I do prefer riding the BH though, which is likely because the BH is new(er) and has Di2, disc brakes, etc.

I agree with some of the other comments on the thread. All of the bikes you have linked here are drool worthy. I am sure you'll be happy with whatever you get.
Old 06-11-20, 08:21 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
<--- WARNING! Trek Fanboy here

All the bikes you're interested are certainly drool-worthy and I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with any of them. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go with a more aero bike... after-all, unless you're looking for a pure climbing bike, aren't all the latest race bikes at least semi-aero these days?

For me personally, I think the latest Trek Madone just checks all the boxes... it's aero, it's a race bike, it has hidden cables, it has the ISO decoupler for a smidge of rider comfort, and I think it looks bad-@ss. The only thing I don't care for is the price, but that's a problem common to all modern aero bikes.

Ok, the Trek fanboy has left the building...
That's a very nice bike! Indeed, bikes are getting more and more aero. The rounder top tube is also a trend I noticed.

Guess I'm just dancing with the idea of changing brand for once (getting away from Giant), but it's hard
Old 06-11-20, 12:14 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
IMO aero does not make a bike more fun - besides big changes like a skinsuit and a very aggressive position.

I think weight, stiffness and other, more tangible forms of drag matter more.

One of the best upgrades I made (besides tires) was to a Hambini bottom bracket. With contactless sealed bearings and a stiff alloy housing, the bike “jumps” so much better than before. Way better than the praxis stuff I had before.

If you’re still using that plastic shimano stuff, I would recommend looking into a Hambini or BBinfinite BB.

There’s also no feeling quite like a silky smooth drivetrain, but that can be quite elusive and expensive. Ceramic pulley wheels are “only” $200 or so at some places. When was the last time you replaced your chainrings? People say chainrings last 50,000 miles or whatnot, but if that were true, why do cassettes only last 5-10k miles when there are 11 of them and only 2 chainrings? Especially when the big chainring is made of aluminum.

Not trying to dissuade you from buying a new bike, but it seems like you already have something really nice. IMO you’d benefit more from some TLC on that bike, especially if you look at smiles/$.

What about your shoes? Do they fit absolutely perfectly? Are they plenty stiff? No excess padding, heel slip, or forefoot movement?

EDIT: if you currently have rim brakes, though, I would not advise dumping too much money into your giant. That tech is being left for dead quite rapidly.

Last edited by smashndash; 06-11-20 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-11-20, 02:30 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I went from. 2018 Cannondale Synapse to 2020 Cannondale Super Six ( non high mod ). Swapped over my Ultegra Di2 and Campy Bora tubular wheels. I’m very happy with it now. On the aero aspect once I crest a hill the pickup in speed is dramatic. It is claimed to be very aero and judging from my experience it is indeed. Descends like an amusement park ride and is a delight to climb with either sitting or standing.
Old 06-11-20, 02:30 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator

The current pandemic situation has given me a lot more time to ride & fortunately, reduced my usual expenses (thanks to teleworking!) to a point where I am now considering buying my ''dream'' bike.

I am a long term Giant fan, but not a Propel fan (never ridden one, just don't like the look that much). I like my current TCR Adv. Pro very much, but my ideal bike has always been a Scott Foil. Of course, I would be paying more for even quality since Giant has one of the best price/quality ratio of the industry.

Main reasons for wanting to change my current bike are 1) Aero frame to increase performance, 2) Scott Foil being a bike I always wanted, 3) Deeper wheels (looking for 50mm). I am looking at the Foil 10 2020 and the only thing I dislike about it is the cable routing that is non integrated to the stem. I am keeping my mind open to other brands even if I would really like to get a Foil.

-Scott Foil 10 (Ultegra DI2) = 8 299$

List of similar Aero bikes
-Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc (Ultegra DI2) - Power meter, speed & cadence sensor included = 6 199$
-Specialized Venge Pro (Ultegra DI2) = 10 299$
-Argon 18 Nitrogen Pro (Ultegra DI2) = 7999$

I am open to your comments / suggestions on the race to aero swap & on these bikes.
Are those prices US$ ?
Seems very expensive.
Old 06-11-20, 04:33 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
The new TCR is on my short-list for a new bike as well. However, it has a very Giant but non-Giant price of $11k. The value proposition of Giant seems to be waning as it is now priced similarly to other superbikes like the Scott Addict RC, which at least has integrated cables.
Likes For blazin:
Old 06-11-20, 10:01 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Not recently. I was forced to a few years ago when my beloved aluminum crit racing bike that had taken me years to get just right was stolen and I replaced it with a then-aero bike. I'm only commenting on your thread so I can say that bike thieves should be strung up with piano wire. By the scrotum.
Likes For RChung:
Old 06-11-20, 10:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
The two things I wish mine had are hidden (through the stem) cables & hoses, and that down tube storage cutout the new Trek has.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-11-20, 11:31 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I thought the weight would be a big disappointment on my Pinarello (17 lbs), which I consider an aero bike for the most part. But the gains I get from the stiffness offset the weight. I don't feel like I lose anything in climbs. I like the stiffer frame. I prefer slightly shallower rims, though. I like my Enve 3.4 for all-around duties. That Scott looks really sweet! The Pinarello is obviously fully internal but is also very expensive.

I've always been very partial to Specialized products and would probably look at the Venge if I were in your shoes.
Old 06-12-20, 05:09 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Is the idea that switching from a race bike to an aero bike will guarantee to produce faster times on the same routes?
Assuming all other factors are the same ofc.
Old 06-12-20, 05:42 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10885 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by str8jakett
As a long time Giant rider, and fan, and I can only comment to say that I'd immediately swap one of my Propels for that Scott.

(Of course, I've also been considering swapping one of the Propels for a newer TCR....)
I love my Propel but considering a swap for a TCR, also. The Scott is a sweet looking machine, though.

Old 06-12-20, 05:44 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Of those, I'd possibly go with the Foil.

I have a Felt AR, myself. Has been exceptional, and I'd definitely take another one.
Old 06-12-20, 05:44 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10885 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
So went to a LBS to see one yesterday, and was a little dissapointed (it was the Foil 20). The non-integrated cables was a big turn off. They enter inside the tube from the downtube, a few inches away from the headtube (??). For a 8.3k + tx bike, it's a big nono for me.

On the other hand, I saw the redesigned 2021 TCR... Still no integrated cables though, but the new larger downtube, and color of the Pro 1 is amazing. I know, it's not an Aero bike, but damn it's hot!

Id hit that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.