Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Worlds - Columbia

Old 02-23-14, 05:02 AM
jods

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Track Worlds - Colombia

So who's going to star at this years worlds?
Anyone got any predictions?

Will anyone beat Francois Pervis in the Kilo, or the GB womens Team Pursuit?

Last edited by jods; 02-23-14 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-23-14, 08:25 AM
sergioflorez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Colombia*
Old 02-24-14, 10:44 AM
Kayce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a daily calender around? I cannot seem to find details anywhere.
Old 02-24-14, 10:47 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayce
Is there a daily calender around? I cannot seem to find details anywhere.
Keep checking here: https://www.tissottiming.com/Competit...t=CT&year=2014

When the information is available, the links (Schedule Day 1, Schedule Day 2, Schedule Day 3, etc...) will become live.

And the official website: https://www.worldtrackcali2014.com/

Google Translated: https://translate.google.com/translat...com%2F&act=url

Last edited by carleton; 02-24-14 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 11:12 AM
Trackliche

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jods
So who's going to star at this years worlds?
Anyone got any predictions?

Will anyone beat Francois Pervis in the Kilo, or the GB womens Team Pursuit?
I am really excited about this WC. I'm of the type that just loves to see winners- so we're in for a show no matter what. I enjoy seeing teams like GB completely dominate, but am equally entertained when underdogs break their chains and sink their teeth into top places.
I would love to see the well-oiled GB organization continue to produce top talent, thus underlining the effectiveness of their program. It's easy to think that Wiggo, Hoy, Maclean, Staff, Clancy, etc. were all just in the right place at the right time. If their success can be truly transitioned to the new generation (as already seems to be the case with Trott, Hindes, James, ladies' pursuit, etc.), it can be hardly denied that the structure and process is responsible for identifying, developing, or otherwise creating truly top-class talent.
On the other hand if Team GB has failed to keep ahead of the curve, or hits a slump, or otherwise falls apart, I would find it equally titillating were the Dutch, or the French, or the Aussies (or, 30 pieces of silver richer, the Americans) to power clean the Brits off the podium.

All that said, I'm personally looking forward to the performance of the South African, Bernard Esterhuizen. I've had the opportunity to see him do some riding as of late, and like to watch people I've met race on TV. So while I'm not expecting him to burst forth into stardom with new records, I hope his recent work will pay off with some solid improvement.

It's all been stating the obvious, but that's what internet forums are for. Right?

-TC
Old 02-24-14, 12:12 PM
carleton
Elitist

In a sport where 1st and 10th places are separated by tenths of a second, I totally believe that a program is a major part of the reason that they are doing so well. Talent and equipment can only bring an athlete so far.

I really think having a Psychologist (turned Sports Psychologist) on staff is a major plus. Sports Psychologists aren't new. But, I think having one on staff may be.

I've read Dr. Peters' book (on the tweeted recommendation by Jamie Staff) and it has helped me in my personal and amateur sporting life. My significant other has read it, too, and she also says that it has helped her, too.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Chimp-Para.../dp/039916359X

Granted, it is a simplified interpretation of the complex systems within our brains and how we interpret various situations. But, it works. If you have ever used the phrase, "I have to tell myself..." then you already (on some level) subscribe to a similar way of thinking.
Old 02-24-14, 02:53 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I really think having a Psychologist (turned Sports Psychologist) on staff is a major plus. Sports Psychologists aren't new. But, I think having one on staff may be.
My wife is the Sport Psychologist Coordinator as well as practicing Sport Psychologist (one of a number) on staff at a State Sports Institute here. Definitely not a new addition to elite sports. Sport Psychologists have been working with all sports for many years - just still surprisingly rarely mentioned...
Old 02-24-14, 03:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Dalai
My wife is the Sport Psychologist Coordinator as well as practicing Sport Psychologist (one of a number) on staff at a State Sports Institute here. Definitely not a new addition to elite sports. Sport Psychologists have been working with all sports for many years - just still surprisingly rarely mentioned...
Ha! That's very cool. Do either of you have an opinion on Dr. Peter's book? I'm not very familiar with this field of work, outside of what I've learned in reference to how Team GB use a Sports Psychologist, even though I followed MLB and NFL sort of closely as a sport photographer for those leagues. What are some of the typical duties?
Old 02-25-14, 02:30 AM
sergioflorez

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

via feisbu.
Attached Images
Old 02-25-14, 10:30 AM
jods

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well to go with those pics above, here's some from GB sprint coach Iain Dyer.
https://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...-rained-116003
Could be a stop start worlds. Shocking in this day and age.
Old 02-25-14, 11:03 AM
carleton
Elitist

Wow!

So, what is Plan-B? Reschedule or cancel for 2014? How are world titles awarded? World Cup standings?

(This is probably covered in the story above, but haven't read it yet)
Old 02-25-14, 11:07 AM
carleton
Elitist

Dyer writes:

Our track session currently looks like this! Out of the rain in track centre & in the dry. Think that's us 4 the day

I recall reading on a website (with pics) that Baton Rouge velodrome hosted a Velodrome Championship on rollers when the event was rained out. It was hard to tell if they were serious or not

Why not Los Angeles?
Old 02-25-14, 11:44 AM
Trackliche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm feeling a rather sick sense of smugness right now. While I love watching top-level track races, I equally love watching top-shelf egos be put in line with situations the rest of us have to put up with all the time. Rain on your wittle wacing twack? Poor poor wittle wacers.

-TC
Old 02-25-14, 11:47 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think we are talking at Cali Columbia, not California... Seems like they are managing to get onto the track, at least for training. Something about "wooden track; dries quickly". It's supposed to be their dry season, but with their rainy season starting up in March/April, seems like end of February is cutting it a bit close.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 02-25-14, 12:38 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I think we are talking at Cali Columbia, not California... Seems like they are managing to get onto the track, at least for training. Something about "wooden track; dries quickly". It's supposed to be their dry season, but with their rainy season starting up in March/April, seems like end of February is cutting it a bit close.
Yeah, I know. But, I've always wondered why the LA Velodrome doesn't host any world-level events. There were the 2008 World Cup and 2011(?) Paralympic World Championships. But, that's it.

There have been several in Mexico and Columbia since then and the Home Depot center is a better venue in a metro area (Los Angeles) that many foreign racers would probably love to visit.
Old 02-25-14, 01:04 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason LA doesn't sponsor them very often is a matter of expense. The UCI has a list of requirements that the sponsor must provide that would choke a whale. I don't know all of them, but I have been told that it is just too cost prohibitive for the local organizers. The original World Cups and World Championships were part of the deal when the velodrome was built. The Paralympic champs last year apparently found some sponsorship money. Everything else was done by volunteers--I spent three days at the track doing various tasks, and loved every minute of it.

Originally Posted by carleton
Yeah, I know. But, I've always wondered why the LA Velodrome doesn't host any world-level events. There were the 2008 World Cup and 2011(?) Paralympic World Championships. But, that's it.

There have been several in Mexico and Columbia since then and the Home Depot center is a better venue in a metro area (Los Angeles) that many foreign racers would probably love to visit.
Old 02-25-14, 02:06 PM
sergioflorez

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
why do people write the name of the country with a u when its only ever been with an o. unlike british columbia its just colombia. y'all buggin. hope to see some dry racing and hope it streams live
Old 02-25-14, 02:17 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by sergioflorez
why do people write the name of the country with a u when its only ever been with an o. unlike british columbia its just colombia. y'all buggin. hope to see some dry racing and hope it streams live
dunno. Why do we call Deutschland "Germany" or Nippon "Japan"?
Old 02-25-14, 04:33 PM
sergioflorez

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
that is way different. sure, colombia in german is kolumbien, but nowhere, on the books, as a fact, a country, is colombia written as columbia. english pronunciation is different but the lettering is the same. there is no reverse treatment for district of columbia in latin america. that is columbia wherever you go. take a look at any english and spanish speaking country's world map and colombia will be written as so. even before that region was split in to several countries it was gran colombia.

that is all.
Old 02-25-14, 05:02 PM
zizou

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is the first track world championships where i am able to say i have raced one of the competitors!
Old 02-26-14, 03:48 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sergioflorez
why do people write the name of the country with a u when its only ever been with an o. unlike british columbia its just colombia.
Chill sergioflore. At least people probably know where Colombia roughly is. Better that having people think Australia is in Europe and that we speak German...
Old 02-26-14, 04:09 AM
sergioflorez

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i'm sorry for the thread derailment. as a colombian, it's annoying to read. only words, i know, but lets carry on..

https://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...ombia+COXX0008 racing starts at 6:50 pm est via uci youtube

Last edited by sergioflorez; 02-26-14 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 06:15 AM
Dalai

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Looking at the forecast - potential thunderstorms everyday. Winds don't look too strong - how strong does the wind need to be for the rain to hit the track?

Are you in Cali sergioflorez?
Old 02-26-14, 09:06 AM
sergioflorez

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
nope. i live in connecticut. medellin is where i call home when i'm there.
Old 02-26-14, 09:25 AM
Woolly Mammoth

Bikes: road:2005 Trek 2300 Track: TBD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This might time out right, got to have surgery tomorrow, and will be in the hospital for 2 nights. I better be able to find this streamed somewhere!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.