FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Gas Prices, Up Up Up

Tune up that commuter, I am embarrassed to say what I paid for premium recently; I guess the Bay Area is headed for $4+ a gallon. Considering current international events I suppose $5+ a gallon is a possibility.

This chart tells a story, and this is before embargo talk:

https://www.gasbuddy.com/Charts
Old 05-10-18, 02:58 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 2,995 Times in 1,625 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
This chart tells a story, and this is before embargo talk:

https://www.gasbuddy.com/Charts

That's neat:
The more expensive gas gets, the easier it is to justify more bike stuff - I only buy about a tank a month anyway.
Old 05-10-18, 03:07 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

I was going to post the chart, but I was worried our moderator would warn me about copyright infringement.
Old 05-10-18, 03:11 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
That's neat:
I only buy about a tank a month anyway.
Yeah, went I took the monster truck to the gas station I was shocked to realize I had a locking gas cap, and I had no idea where I stored the key. Whoops...
Old 05-10-18, 03:22 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 921 Posts
Up here in far NorCal, the cheap stuff is nearing $4; our picky eater demands the over $4 high grade carp. Good thing we don't run it much. Between the bikes, the bus pass, and a good pair of shoes, most of our transportation needs are covered.
Old 05-10-18, 03:27 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I drive a clean diesel, gets way better gas mileage, and is usually cheaper than premium. It was cheaper than regular before the state decided it needed to ream diesel drivers by adding an additional tax/surcharge whatever you want to call it on top of the recent gas tax hike. Frankly, I'm shocked it took these petroleum companies this long to get prices back up to (and over) $4/gallon.
Old 05-10-18, 03:42 PM
prototoast

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My car's a hybrid, I work from home, and the grocery store is a mile away... I think gas would have to get up to about $15/gallon before I'd notice.
Old 05-11-18, 07:21 AM
slimyfrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As if I needed more reasons to dream of someday commuting on a bicycle...
Old 05-13-18, 01:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Happens every year summer, driving demands create that response from the Petroleum sources.
Old 05-13-18, 11:55 PM
B. Carfree

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Fun chart. Take it out a few years and you'll see that both in CA and nationwide the price is just now reaching what it was in the summer of 2015. Gas prices fluctuate, but they're generally obscenely cheap.

I'm reminded of a friend who commuted by bike from Davis to the east side of Sacramento. He was a captain in the fire department and there were regular gripe sessions around the station about the price of gas. He would them down by saying, "If you don't like the price, don't buy it." Everyone else lived closer to the station than he did.
Old 05-14-18, 02:48 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
What you keep forgetting is that California has fuel formulated to state standards and you can't just get some from Nevada or Arizona when you are low. Your prices are based on anti-pollution factors in making the gasoline you use.

It's also the beginning of the summer driving season and in about 3 months the price will rise again as retooling is done for winter fuels including heating oil.

And we are NOT at risk of an embargo.

Well, maybe California. Wyoming sure ain't. In SW Idaho and Eastern Oregon the price is between $3.08 and $3.30 with off the way places where you don't have much choice at nearly $3.50.

But if you pump it out of the ground in your state, your refining and sale prices will reflect that.

Last edited by Rollfast; 05-15-18 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-14-18, 09:40 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Fun chart. Take it out a few years and you'll see that both in CA and nationwide the price is just now reaching what it was in the summer of 2015. Gas prices fluctuate, but they're generally obscenely cheap.

I'm reminded of a friend who commuted by bike from Davis to the east side of Sacramento. He was a captain in the fire department and there were regular gripe sessions around the station about the price of gas. He would them down by saying, "If you don't like the price, don't buy it." Everyone else lived closer to the station than he did.
Threadjacking a little bit here, but I am always shocked at how many people drive to my work, who literally live in the same neighborhood. Our office is adjacent to a neighborhood, and the roads are not busy/dangerous at all. My boss lives about 10-15 minutes away WALKING, and yet he drives a freaking car every day to work. There are several others here who also drive less than a mile to come to the office. It's absolutely ridiculous that some of these people won't ride a bike or even walk to work when they live so close. I live 10 miles from work, and I ride in once in a while (not as much as I'd like, but I'm considering doing it more).
Old 05-14-18, 10:11 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Almost $4 a gallon in Los Angeles. But I am happy the price goes up, so I can actually drive somewhere across town without insane traffic. This price increase gets people off the road.
Old 05-15-18, 12:01 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Honestly haven't noticed.
Old 05-15-18, 09:51 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
My wife and I live in suburbia and own a car (that's right, one car.) It spends most of the time in the garage as we both bike commute. We do use it to travel to visit or to (ironically) go on bike vacations in distant states. We use it seldom enough that gas price changes always shock me.

But public transport sucks and our area is designed for cars. You've seen my videos about how hard it is to get to the new Antioch BART. I wish it wasn't so. I dream high gas prices will change America, but I don't think so.
Old 05-18-18, 08:09 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
summer blend effect... and just when it go down it will go up again for the winter blend.. CA is FOS