Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Buggered Hub Bearing Race

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 10:58 AM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was wondering if it can be salvaged.

Don't know the type of hub but it is laced to a Mavic Mod-E rim. It was on an '84 Bianchi Alloro. Fortunately the LBS had the correct tool to get the Regina free wheel off. As I was cleaning it out I found I was getting chunks of metal bits out of the hub and a larger piece that resembled a mangled washer. The guy who gave me the bike said he broke an axle about 8 years ago and replaced it but said it never seem right again. Well I think I solved that, the race was trashed. Is there a way to get a new race to press into the hub? Is it worth it?

Here are a couple of pictures one of the good side and one of the bad side (no race).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bad_side.jpg (93.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg
good_side.jpg (90.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-12-11, 12:06 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,879 Posts
Given the era, they're most likely an Ofmega hubset, either Mundiale or Competizione. Hubsets for many of the 2nd tier brands used Campagnolo compatible parts and Campagnolo did offer the races separately. However, I'm not positive these are compatible and am even less sure of the current availability and pricing on the Camapagnolo races. Buying a new wheel may be cheaper!

Without knowing the make and model, or wheter they are OEM, you'd have to remove the race and obtain accurate dimensions to ensure compatibilityod replacement races. It might just be easier to replace the rim onto a new hub or simply replace the rear wheel. It would almost certainly be quicker.
Old 12-12-11, 03:17 PM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks T-Mar,

Pretty much everything on the bike appeared original except for the RD, so I will assume the hubs are as you suggest. The race already came out as shrapnel, so would it just be a matter of pressing in a new one if I was to track one down. Fortunately, I have a spare wheelset to use so the bad race in this hub is not going to be a hold up or cause to spend a bunch of money at this point for this build.
Old 12-12-11, 04:16 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,879 Posts
Yes, they were generally press/interference fits. If you've got a spare wheel, it might be worth your while to try and find a donor hub. It's always nice to try and save a piece of equipment, if you can.

FYI, looking into my 1984 literature, I don't have any Alloro specs but the Allegro and Campione d'Italia used Ofmega hubs (Mundiale and Competizione respectively) laced to Mavic rims, so if you've got Mavic rims they likely are OEM and the hubs are probably Ofmega.
Old 12-12-11, 04:20 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...?highlight=hub
Old 12-12-11, 10:57 PM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will hold on to the wheel set and see what I can do at a later date with that "bad" hub.