Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 06:41 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I've lost as much as 6 pounds over night just from urinating - though I average about 3 pounds.

For me, there's something more to it. In recent years, I've been tested for diabetes and diabetes insipidus, as I eliminate fluid at a ridiculous rate, to the point of being constantly dehydrated.

But, every test comes back negative, so the MDs have no idea what's going on.

They just keep telling me to drink more and stay hydrated. Still, I generally try to avoid drinking much after about 6 to minimize times I wake up.
Old 09-11-17, 09:48 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Short crank length article from Cervelo. Mostly focused on triathletes, but principles are the same.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/engineeri...n-crank-length
Old 09-13-17, 07:01 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Since that last post about bad sleep, I've slept excellently this week. Up before the alarm could go off and out the door in 15 minutes or less. Just how the cookie crumbles.

Also, this just got posted in a local group. Wew the weather changes quick here.
Old 09-13-17, 12:38 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Big changes at home.

For years I would get my breakfast, lunch, and many of my dinners out. For the past month, we've started cooking all our meals and bought an espresso machine to replace Starbucks. I save at least $15 a day, and technically we (wife and I) could be saving over $1,000 a month. I've cut out most junk food and diet sodas, so that helps too.

So far it seems to help with the weight loss, and may even be faster than eating out (since we prep meals for several days).
Old 09-13-17, 01:15 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Big changes at home.

For years I would get my breakfast, lunch, and many of my dinners out. For the past month, we've started cooking all our meals and bought an espresso machine to replace Starbucks. I save at least $15 a day, and technically we (wife and I) could be saving over $1,000 a month. I've cut out most junk food and diet sodas, so that helps too.

So far it seems to help with the weight loss, and may even be faster than eating out (since we prep meals for several days).
It always surprises me how much some people eat out. Some of my coworkers (who have got to make close to the same as me), eat out like you did. I would never be able to afford that even if I didn't race bikes and spend a considerable portion of my paycheck on that.

I grew up on home-cooked food and eating out about once a week on a erase over my childhood though. Brought my own lunch moat days for school too.

Now a days I prep all my meals for work at the beginning ifof the week (breakfast and lunch) and bring them in on monday. Dinner I cook large portions a couple times a week and do left overs and a big salad most nights. Lots of tacos and chicken (buy whole) makes food last a long time.
Old 09-13-17, 05:23 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Big changes at home.

Good to hear!

As much as I love not making food, I've been cooking a lot lately. We signed up for the "Eat Fresh"?/"Blue Apron" thing where they deliver the ingredients to you. The recipes are simple (simple enough for me to attempt), pretty quick, and it saves you a trip to the store.

my race videos
Old 09-13-17, 05:41 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Good to hear!

As much as I love not making food, I've been cooking a lot lately. We signed up for the "Eat Fresh"?/"Blue Apron" thing where they deliver the ingredients to you. The recipes are simple (simple enough for me to attempt), pretty quick, and it saves you a trip to the store.
Like FF, just the two of us and we mostly eat out.
I did Home Chef and Blue Apron. Both have good ingredients and are high quality. But we are not into sauces, and both wife and I like a fresh piece of meat not covered in sauce and veggies. So tonight - I go shopping.
Old 09-14-17, 06:12 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I had 2 interviews yesterday, and I have to call to schedule another one for tuesday. The one I would want over the 3, I interviewed for yesterday afternoon..so im hoping im not screwing these up.
Old 09-14-17, 06:17 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck man, that's great that you have leads and an idea of what you want. I hope it works out for you.

I interviewed recently for the exact job I want in the exact location I want/need. In negotiations now, which is a whole different ball of stress for me. I have a hard time with all this; I'm taking a huge bump up and the numbers seems outrageous to me, though from the data I have they're fair. Still hard to ask for!
Old 09-14-17, 06:18 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
I had 2 interviews yesterday, and I have to call to schedule another one for tuesday. The one I would want over the 3, I interviewed for yesterday afternoon..so im hoping im not screwing these up.
Fingers crossed!

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-14-17, 09:49 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Good luck to both of you.

As far as the negotiation stage, remember that they want you or they wouldn't have taken you this far, and good people are generally hard to find.
Old 09-14-17, 10:02 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Doge
Like FF, just the two of us and we mostly eat out.
I did Home Chef and Blue Apron. Both have good ingredients and are high quality. But we are not into sauces, and both wife and I like a fresh piece of meat not covered in sauce and veggies. So tonight - I go shopping.
Didn't care for the delivery service either, seemed to complicate things and I'm the same way, I'd rather eat food plain. My big goal is to be able to create a system where we can get groceries for the next 5 days and not waste any food. That means planning 5 days or meals and knowing what to buy, which is tougher than it should be.

Good luck @Wylde06, @rankin116.
Old 09-14-17, 12:12 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
a position I would like is opening up here. I need to redo a resume after... 12 years. I wonder what it'll look like.
Old 09-14-17, 12:47 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Ygduf
a position I would like is opening up here. I need to redo a resume after... 12 years. I wonder what it'll look like.
Apparently you have to get creative with the layout of resumes now. I sent my resume to a friend about a year ago to submit for a job within his company, and he told me he wouldn't submit the way it was formatted. Apparently the style I learned in college is no longer acceptable.

And there are several online services that are happy to charge you a monthly fee to provide you with a template to use to create one of those snazzy resumes. I'm not sure why they charge a monthly fee. Once I get a job, I don't need it anymore.

Also, be sure to update your Linkedin profie.
Old 09-14-17, 01:07 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Apparently you have to get creative with the layout of resumes now. I sent my resume to a friend about a year ago to submit for a job within his company, and he told me he wouldn't submit the way it was formatted. Apparently the style I learned in college is no longer acceptable.

And there are several online services that are happy to charge you a monthly fee to provide you with a template to use to create one of those snazzy resumes. I'm not sure why they charge a monthly fee. Once I get a job, I don't need it anymore.

I would definitely update the layout according to an online template for your profession, but you shouldn't have to pay for it. Creativity and layout probably matter much more in some professions (writing, advertising) than others. I'm an engineer and mine looks good but it's simple and conservative.

More important than that though is keywords. Your resume should always be tailored at least a little to the job posting and your intro section and experience should both have lots of keywords from the posting. Otherwise you might be perfect but a human will never ever see your resume.
Old 09-14-17, 01:52 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the governance regarding having one technically under your care proffer an updated document for your purpose?
Old 09-14-17, 02:50 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by topflightpro

The resume is your first work assignment, so the more work you can put into it while keeping it concise the better.

I had a folder containing a resume, reference page, and even a brochure. Every one I dropped off I got an interview within 3 days.

I'm not even sure people drop off resumes these days....
Old 09-14-17, 03:28 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by miyata man
What is the governance regarding having one technically under your care proffer an updated document for your purpose?
I've read this four times and I'm not sure what you mean.
Old 09-14-17, 03:46 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

The resume is your first work assignment, so the more work you can put into it while keeping it concise the better.

I had a folder containing a resume, reference page, and even a brochure. Every one I dropped off I got an interview within 3 days.

I'm not even sure people drop off resumes these days....
I just finished up the new hire job finding portion of my life. There is no dropping off of resumes now a days. Most of the time you fill out online forms after uploading a copy of your resume and then having to retype it.

After that you click submit, it gets blasted off into the internet and 90% of the time you don't hear anything. No denial or approval.. It just dissappears.
Old 09-14-17, 04:24 PM
furiousferret

Well that sounds awful...
Old 09-14-17, 04:35 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Well that sounds awful...
Yeah, those types really suck. I probably heard back from maybe 25% of jobs I applied for. And I was always qualified.

I will say, if there's a company you might like to work for and they have no jobs you match but a place to send a resume online, do it. I got a call from one like that. They searched their database of resumes when posting a new job and mine matched enough.

Don't get discouraged is the main thing. There are a lot of jobs posted that they have no intention of hiring you. They have someone in mind already and had to post for hr or legal reasons.
Old 09-14-17, 06:59 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I've read this four times and I'm not sure what you mean.
The question is should it have made sense to you. Y deserves as much vagueness as anyone to respect his privacy against bots or who knows what. Gist of it was having someone with a freshly developed intellect for the ins and outs of what employers would hope to see.
Old 09-14-17, 07:40 PM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use LaTeX for resumes. It's worth the pain.
Old 09-14-17, 09:27 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by abhirama
Use LaTeX for resumes. It's worth the pain.
Been there. I just defaulted back to a word template. And that's coming from a science major in college that typed all his papers up in LaTeX.

Originally Posted by [URL="https://www.bikeforums.net/members/furiousferret-45841.html"
furiousferret[/URL];45841] Well that sounds awful...

It really is. I got more interviews from talking to people at career fairs and just having a (semi) up to date profile on LinkedIn and having recruiters contact me. I ended up getting my job after being an intern the previous summer at the company I now work for. They put me on leave of absence and I went through the internal hiring process and got moved down here to Utah.

Speaking of jobs.. I may be taking on a part time weekend gig with the bike shop I've been frequenting. Dropped the hint that I know how to wrench well enough and they are looking for someone. Realistically the money will probably be ****, but I'm so sick and tired of paying full price for everything after years of having a bikeshop job or close contact. We'll see how that pans out.
Old 09-15-17, 06:42 AM
topflightpro

Yeah, I've been through that job search hell.

The worst part is, you have to re-write your cover letter and often your resume to make sure you are putting the buzzwords in that the script is probably looking for. Then, as mentioned, you have to submit your resume, then paste it all in again. It can take an hour or more to fill out one online application, and 90 percent of the time, you get nothing, not even a confirmation email.

Then, six months later, you'll see the same job, for which you are perfectly qualified, re-post.

Still, my favorite experience was when more than a year after I applied, I got an email saying thank you, but they decided to go in another direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.