Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 02:34 PM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Here's my conversion; a 1987 Schwin Cimarron. So far this year, I've clocked 1900 miles on it, and despite being heavy, it's been the best commuter I've put together so far. It's built with a slew of fun parts that were on my previous mountain bikes; while it may look lke grandma's bike, closer inspection tells the story.

Old 12-05-13, 04:00 PM
kehomer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I like this build a lot, already! Love the DT shifter mod -- what crank do you have in mind?
Thanks for the good word! On the crank, no telling what will turn up. I am partial to the Sugino XD600s however, having used them twice to build a Surly LHT and a Panasonic tourer in previous years. There was a used White Industries triple on ebay a while back that looked good. Whatever I use, my 7+ decades old noodle knees and the local terrain require a triple.
Old 12-05-13, 08:12 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kehomer
This is a 1986 Stumpjumper frame I recently acquired. The original orange paint had been oversprayed and looked pretty bad. Had it stripped and powder coated in Candy Orange by a local outfit, Creative Candy in Dawsonville, Georgia. The base coat is silver with some metal flake added. The frame really pops in direct light. Before powder coating, I had Seth Snyder, a local frame and wheel builder, check frame alignment and braze posts on the downtube for the 105 shifters I will use. The last photo shows some of the parts; new, NOS and used already acquired for the build. Look forward to showing pictures of the completed all rounder sometime in the spring.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
downtube shifters! siiick
Old 12-06-13, 08:10 AM
kehomer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
downtube shifters! siiick
What's sick about downtube shifters? I also like bar end and STI shifters. When I converted my Panasonic MC5500 to drop bar, I used thumbies instead of bar ends (following your advice on how to install the thumbies). Really enjoy them. But I prefer DT, indexed shifters. Maybe old dogs/new tricks applies here. Also, I like not having the clutter of four cables up front.
Old 12-06-13, 08:17 AM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I think he meant sick in a good way.
Old 12-06-13, 08:50 AM
4funbikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Love that cimmaron! Xtr bits/ turbo saddle; dialed!
Old 12-06-13, 10:16 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bconneraz
Here's my conversion; a 1987 Schwin Cimarron. So far this year, I've clocked 1900 miles on it, and despite being heavy, it's been the best commuter I've put together so far. It's built with a slew of fun parts that were on my previous mountain bikes; while it may look lke grandma's bike, closer inspection tells the story.

What rear rack is that? Looks like it would handle a gorilla sitting on it and not bend!
Old 12-06-13, 11:12 AM
bconneraz

^^ The rack is a Surly. No question that it's bomb proof; it weighs a ton, but I really liked the adjustability.^^
Old 12-06-13, 11:22 AM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Chitown_Mike
What rear rack is that? Looks like it would handle a gorilla sitting on it and not bend!
They will and they weigh nearly as much as one. Heavy heavy racks. I have the front rack. Awesome design, would be even better in tubular aluminum.
Old 12-06-13, 12:32 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Great Cimmaron, bconneraz! Very rugged beast, and I like those centerstands. They can hold up any loaded bike.

+1 on Frantik being positive over the DT braze ons. It's a rarely seen mod, but a cool one. The Stumpy frame looks fantastic and I can't wait to see the finished results as well.
Old 12-06-13, 06:38 PM
azgreg

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love this thread. I never would have thought to put DT shifters on a MTB. Awesome.
Old 12-06-13, 07:28 PM
neo_pop_71

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
This is a 1986 Stumpjumper frame I recently acquired. The original orange paint had been oversprayed and looked pretty bad. Had it stripped and powder coated in Candy Orange by a local outfit, Creative Candy in Dawsonville, Georgia. The base coat is silver with some metal flake added. The frame really pops in direct light. Before powder coating, I had Seth Snyder, a local frame and wheel builder, check frame alignment and braze posts on the downtube for the 105 shifters I will use. The last photo shows some of the parts; new, NOS and used already acquired for the build. Look forward to showing pictures of the completed all rounder sometime in the spring.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
kehomer, that is going to be one of my favorite Stumpjumpers when you are done, really cool stuff going on with the build! So, many people get angry about messing with these vintage bikes, I'm glad you personalized the frame. The color you chose looks not too far off from my '86 Nashbar Terra XT. Our frames are close cousins, both made in the same facility in Japan with matching geometry (same lugged fork), only the tubing differed as the Terra XT was made with Ishiwata CrMo. The stock gold metal flake color on mine is called "Sunset Orange" even though it's definitely more red than orange. My bike serves well as a coffee and beer bike... I'm looking forward to seeing your finished Stumpy as it might inspire another "custom" build. Thanks for sharing!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
86TerraXT2.jpg (104.2 KB, 639 views)
86TerraXT5.jpg (91.3 KB, 616 views)
86TerraXT1.jpg (104.5 KB, 621 views)
Old 12-06-13, 08:26 PM
kehomer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
The color you chose looks not too far off from my '86 Nashbar Terra XT. Our frames are close cousins, both made in the same facility in Japan with matching geometry (same lugged fork), only the tubing differed as the Terra XT was made with Ishiwata CrMo. The stock gold metal flake color on mine is called "Sunset Orange"

Close cousins is right, right down to similar frame colors. You say the tubes on your frame are Ishiwata? I don't know what type of steel the Stump's frame is made from but it's pretty hefty. Frame/fork weigh 7.6 lbs. The frame/fork decals read "Special Series Touring Cr-Mo Double Butted Tubing".
Old 12-07-13, 10:19 AM
neo_pop_71

Close cousins is right, right down to similar frame colors. You say the tubes on your frame are Ishiwata? I don't know what type of steel the Stump's frame is made from but it's pretty hefty. Frame/fork weigh 7.6 lbs. The frame/fork decals read "Special Series Touring Cr-Mo Double Butted Tubing".
https://mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm

Shoot! A quick check of MOMBAT's Specialized spec chart identified the standard and team model Stumpjumper as being double butted Tange Prestige but was not specific beyond "Cro-Mo DB" tubing. Maybe it's Ishiwata like mine, our bike definitely have the heftiness in common! The Nashbar catalog states the weight is 28 lbs for a 21" frame. Both frames came with "Deerhead" XT components but I notice that the Stumpy came with a 5 speed freewheel, the Terra XT came with a Sun Tour Winner 6 speed freewheel. That proves the flexibility of those friction shifters, I've run them on 5, 6, and 7 speed set ups. By the way, SimiChrome from Germany really does a nice job on the XT components.

Here are a couple detail shots, one you can see the paint color a little better in the sunlight.

Attached Images
86TerraXT9.jpg (94.1 KB, 574 views)
DeerheadXTbefore.jpg (99.6 KB, 584 views)
DeerheadXTafter.jpg (96.3 KB, 593 views)
Old 12-07-13, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I put upright sitting bars on instead, 'albatross', bar thumb shifters, Old Mt bike wears studded tires now..
Old 12-07-13, 10:43 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I put upright sitting bars on instead, 'albatross', bar thumb shifters, Old Mt bike wears studded tires now..
Pics?
Old 12-07-13, 11:28 AM
neo_pop_71

Originally Posted by bconneraz

Really well done bconneraz, I dig the build as it's a cool mix of new and old! I'm surprised Thrifty Bill (wrk101) hasn't commented on your Cimarron, maybe he's on vacation because I'm sure he'll appreciate all the choice bits! Bill started this thread 104 pages ago and has done some fabulous conversion. My favorite being his "skinny" Cimarron, I love it because he was able to get his Cimarron down to 25 pounds and I couldn't get any of mine under 26... that damn magical pound elluded me on two different builds ('85 and '88 LE). Do you make the ride from the canyon to the sand? I live in North O.C. and frequent The Fullerton Loop and Carbon Canyon, I don't make it down your way often these days but I sure do love and enjoy the trails that surround you!
Old 12-08-13, 12:03 AM
bconneraz

Really well done bconneraz, I dig the build as it's a cool mix of new and old! I'm surprised Thrifty Bill (wrk101) hasn't commented on your Cimarron, maybe he's on vacation because I'm sure he'll appreciate all the choice bits! Bill started this thread 104 pages ago and has done some fabulous conversion. My favorite being his "skinny" Cimarron, I love it because he was able to get his Cimarron down to 25 pounds and I couldn't get any of mine under 26... that damn magical pound elluded me on two different builds ('85 and '88 LE). Do you make the ride from the canyon to the sand? I live in North O.C. and frequent The Fullerton Loop and Carbon Canyon, I don't make it down your way often these days but I sure do love and enjoy the trails that surround you!
Thanks. I really do love this bike. It can and does do everything. I can't imagine my rig at 26 lbs. that's impressive. I took this pic a couple weeks ago. I started at Yorba regional park and rode the SART to the beach, then up the coast to seal beach where we had lunch. I really want to do a SART C&V ride to the beach. If you're ever up for a ride let me know.
Old 12-09-13, 01:21 PM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
Retro Tan Gumwall modifications - Mongoose

Updated the build for a retro look and hitting technical trails. Added to build as follows:
-Picked up a second set of Vuelta wheels ($65, last pair from Wheel and Sprocket outlet)
-New Duro Rocky Wolf Tan Gumwalls (ebay - $12 each plus shipping)
-Sram 8 speed 11-30 freewheel ($22 - bikewagon)

Also, gave up on my re-cover of the old Vetta. The vynyl I used cut too easily. Just went with a Brooks B-17 Honey.

Yes, it's a heavy S.O.B. but I love it.

Originally Posted by Goosecheck
New to the forum and enjoying the MTB drop bar pix. I've been enjoying mine for about four years now. Originally a Mongoose Rockadile (1994) I've had since about 1996. Did most of the conversion about four years ago, with a few tweaks since. Great commuter, trail bike, touring, gravel, whatever. Some pix attached. Thanks!

Build
Original Stock Shimano STX Drivetrain
Original Vetta Saddle (re-covered in brown Oct 2013 to match new h-bar wrap)
Soma June Bug bars
RaceFace Stem
Surly 1x1 Fork (replaced an old aftermarket Rock Shox Judy) - BEEFY!
Shimano Bar Ends (Sweet!)
Tektro CR720 Cantis (old Shimano cantis had too much flex)
Cane Creek levers and Headset
Axiom Journey Rear Rack
Racktime front rack
Vuelta Zerolite Wheelset (Nashbar special - replaced original Arayas lent to brother-in-law) -Helluva a good set of inexpensive wheels.
Maxxis Overdrive Kevlar 26 x 1.75 tires (559-47)
Ahrens WiseCracker (the most important addition)
Attached Images
gumwall4.jpg (91.5 KB, 605 views)
gumwall1.jpg (97.7 KB, 696 views)
gumwall2.jpg (100.0 KB, 656 views)
gumwall3.jpg (92.3 KB, 601 views)
gumwall5.jpg (82.7 KB, 589 views)
bike2.jpg (97.5 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by Goosecheck; 12-09-13 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 12-09-13, 02:01 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Goosecheck
Updated the build for a retro look and hitting technical trails. Added to build as follows:

-New Duro Rocky Wolf Tan Gumwalls (ebay - $12 each plus shipping)
Those tires actually have a great look to them, but I bet they are heavy?
Old 12-09-13, 02:08 PM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
Indeed they are. But not terribly so. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

Originally Posted by cyclotoine
Those tires actually have a great look to them, but I bet they are heavy?
Old 12-09-13, 10:19 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Yeah, terrific Cimarron!

Great inspiration. We should start a Cimarron thread!! I tried to snag another one, but missed out. All the bikes I have, and my $15 Cimarron is my favorite.

Its one of Schwinn's sleeper vintage bikes.

Good excuse for me to post my latest iteration of the Cimarron. I swapped out rear racks with a nice one I picked up at the Habitat for Humanity store. Handles my vintage Madden panniers quite well. The rack is pretty nice, its modular (three pieces), so really adjustable for fit. No idea who made it. Similar in shape to your tubular rack, but it has an extruded aluminum deck.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-10-13 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-11-13, 02:27 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
i want one of those fillet brazed cimmarons! and/or one with black chrome. a buddy has a Sierra which has black chrome that has been painted over, similar to how my Univega was. the frame looks pretty nice though the components werent the best on the Sierra
Old 12-11-13, 10:55 AM
bconneraz

Originally Posted by wrk101
Yeah, terrific Cimarron!

Great inspiration. We should start a Cimarron thread!! I tried to snag another one, but missed out. All the bikes I have, and my $15 Cimarron is my favorite.

Its one of Schwinn's sleeper vintage bikes.

Good excuse for me to post my latest iteration of the Cimarron. I swapped out rear racks with a nice one I picked up at the Habitat for Humanity store. Handles my vintage Madden panniers quite well. The rack is pretty nice, its modular (three pieces), so really adjustable for fit. No idea who made it. Similar in shape to your tubular rack, but it has an extruded aluminum deck.

great looking bike; I wanted green bad, and looked forever. Red popped up and the rest is history. I worked at a Schwinn shop back in the 80's, and remember one of my co-workers getting a green Cimarron. He took it apart, painted it cammo, and re-assembled it. From that day, I always wanted one. A cimarron thread would be great; really, I have some amazing bikes, vintage and modern, and if I had to pick just one, my Cimarron would be it.

And Frantik- just keep an eye on ebay; they either pop up for crazy cheap (I should have bought the last frame and fork I saw for 75 bucks a month or so ago) or they are crazy expensive. They are indeed gems.
Old 12-11-13, 11:44 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
i want one of those fillet brazed cimmarons! and/or one with black chrome. a buddy has a Sierra which has black chrome that has been painted over, similar to how my Univega was. the frame looks pretty nice though the components werent the best on the Sierra
+1 A black chrome High Sierra is on my watch for list. I like my black chrome Univega, but it is just too small.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.