Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Comfy seat suggestions for mantis ghost 26" mountain bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-16-12, 03:57 PM
casey86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just recently purchased a 26" men's Mantis Ghost mountain bike. Less than 2 minutes of riding it I realized that the seat was going to have to go. It causes too much pain and stress on my bottom and lower back to enjoy riding. I am 25 years old and 190 pounds. I was looking online and this seat looks to be pretty comfy, but what say you?

https://assets.academy.com/mgen/88/10...jpg?is=500,500

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a comfortable seat? I mostly ride the bike on the road and hardly ever on any other terrain. I need a seat that is good for long riding. Let me know what you suggest. My price range is for now up to $25.

edit: Here is a pic of my bike.

Last edited by casey86; 05-16-12 at 04:02 PM. Reason: left out some info.
Old 05-16-12, 09:26 PM
NightShift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many people don't realize it,but pressing against the nose of the seat is part of how you control the bike. A noseless seat may be ok for an upright cruiser, but not your bike. For $25 you can check Craigslist or maybe here: https://www.themountainbikeking.com/S...46_982402.aspx But honestly I would say save your money and put it towards a better bike.
Old 05-17-12, 10:41 AM
casey86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NightShift
Many people don't realize it,but pressing against the nose of the seat is part of how you control the bike. A noseless seat may be ok for an upright cruiser, but not your bike. For $25 you can check Craigslist or maybe here: https://www.themountainbikeking.com/S...46_982402.aspx But honestly I would say save your money and put it towards a better bike.
Whats wrong with the bike? I don't race or use it for anything more than getting from point A to point B. Is the horn really that much a difference just for that?
Old 05-17-12, 10:53 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I'm a fan of leather Brooks saddles, but you can't touch even a heavily used one for $25. I have a bin of cheap to modestly priced takeoffs at home. If you want to try a couple, I can send several to you if you'll cover the shipping. At least one of them is a pretty decent Bontrager than came off the Tandem I just bought from mymojo.
Old 05-17-12, 11:23 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
In general, any bike that costs under 400-500 dollars new are bikes that you would find at places like walmart/target/toys r us/etc. They usually have components that are heavier and not as well made as local bike shop bikes. And on top of that, to get a full suspension bike that performs very well, you generally need to spend upwards of 1200-1300 dollars or more. A used '90s era hard tail or rigid mountain bike that was originally bought at a bike shop that has been refurbished is usuaully a much better choice of bike than a new Walmart bike to put it bluntly. Something like a Specialized/Trek/Diamondback/Fuji.

Your seat also looks too low and looks like the front of it is tilted up too high. Raise the seat and tilt the nose of it down.
Old 05-17-12, 03:23 PM
NightShift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by casey86
I don't race or use it for anything more than getting from point A to point B. Is the horn really that much a difference just for that?
It looks like your seat is really low. If you have proper leg extension with the seat that low then you're upright enough that you won't benefit as much from the nose of the saddle/won't lose as much by going noseless. To check leg extension place one of your heels (doesn't matter which) on the pedal of that side of the bike and stand on the pedal (you'll probably need to balance against a wall). With your heel on the pedal, the pedal at it's lowest position, and your leg straight, move the seat as high as it you can (it's easier with someone to help). Since you should be pedalling with the ball of your foot on the pedal, that should be just enough that you have near full extension without locking your knees of rocking your hips. Bike fit isn't a exact science and you should feel free to move the seat height around a bit, but that should be a good starting place.

Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
I'm a fan of leather Brooks saddles, but you can't touch even a heavily used one for $25. I have a bin of cheap to modestly priced takeoffs at home. If you want to try a couple, I can send several to you if you'll cover the shipping. At least one of them is a pretty decent Bontrager than came off the Tandem I just bought from mymojo.
Responses like this are a big part of what I love about bike forums.
Old 05-17-12, 03:57 PM
casey86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is heavy at 40 pounds. The frame feels very durable and for the most part it looks like it will last awhile. I have had to do some work on it since purchase a couple weeks ago. I had to have both pedals welded back on to the crank arms because both the crank arm and pedal screw in place stripped out after riding it the second time. I figured since I would need to replace the pedals and crank arms, I may as well just weld them on which worked. The tires came half inflated and so I had to buy a tire pump for that. I bought it off the Amazon online store for $125 and assembled it myself. It will do for what I bought it for. I just would like a more comfortable seat. I have read a lot of good reviews about the seat I linked to above. Some complain about the thighs rubbing up against it while pedaling. I just would like to know if that seat is worth it as far as butt comfort goes.
Old 05-17-12, 04:32 PM
NightShift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 25 years old and 190 pounds.
I mostly ride the bike on the road and hardly ever on any other terrain. I need a seat that is good for long riding.
For a 25 year old who plans to ride almost exclusively on road and wants something comfortable for "long riding" I would suggest either a rigid bike, or, if you really want suspension, "comfort" suspension.

I view suspension as three categories: comfort, which includes short travel elastomer forks, suspension seatpost, and sprung saddles, which is just meant to soften the bumps and dampen road vibration; big hit suspension, which lets you take drops and impacts that you and/or the bike couldn't take otherwise; and crappy suspension, which has too much sag and bounce to be comfort suspension, and bottoms out to easily and isn't strong enough for a big hit.

I have two big issues with your bike:
1. I would be very worried about quality control. I rode a Next bike from Walmart that was similar to that for about a year before a pedal broke, which at my weight was understand but, the crank arm bent and when I dropped my weight on to the handlebars the stem shattered. There are cheap bikes and there are dangerous bike shaped objects. I'm not familiar with your bike and don't know who the manufacturer is, but please don't take any chances; a bike from an established reputable company can be had pretty cheap. Even Pacific has hire standards then a lot of cheap generic brands.
2. Your bike has crappy suspension.

There is probably a bolt or threaded plate that you can use to adjust the preload for the rear shock. Tightening it to compress the spring more will probably help for road riding.
Old 05-17-12, 04:47 PM
NightShift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used that very seat. Keep in mind that the rails on the seat and clamp on the post limit how far back you can move the seat, and with this seat that will mean the wider portion will be farther forward than with most seats. On some bikes it feels like the seat is just to far forward. If you're riding very upright, and you can get the seat back far enough, then, once you get used to the difference in handling, it's actually very comfortable, for rides under 10 miles.
Old 05-17-12, 07:12 PM
casey86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycle Force Group made my bike. I guess I really should have read up on what to look for in a bike before buying one. I was honestly just pulling up all the bikes in my price range and picked the one that looked the coolest. >_<

Well, I don't have the money to buy a new bike and not sure what I could get for this one or even where I could trade it in or sell it at around here which is a pretty rural area. Not to mention the pedals have been welded on to the crank arms because they stripped out. For now this bike will have to do. I will go ahead and invest in a new seat as I can always put that on a new bike any time. Comfort is my top priority right now and since the seat is really only I can buy right now I want to be sure I get a good one though I am not looking to spend a lot and I would sure want something more comfortable for more than 10 miles. I'd like a seat that covers the entire bottom butt area so it feels like a chair seat and not a thing block I am sitting on.
Old 05-18-12, 04:55 AM
NightShift

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like a seat that covers the entire bottom butt area so it feels like a chair seat and not a thing block I am sitting on.

Next time check out recumbents. They're normally expensive new, but can be very affordable used.
Old 05-18-12, 07:44 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

I'd like a seat that covers the entire bottom butt area so it feels like a chair seat and not a thing block I am sitting on.
Several of the takeoffs I have are like that. I hate them myself, and have no intention of using them. I see you are under 50 posts, so you can't PM yet, but you can receive them. I will PM you my email address if you want to get in touch with me to get it.
Old 05-18-12, 09:58 AM
biknbrian

Bikes: BiknBrian brand custom 26 inch commuter trekker, Cannondale F600 Single Speeded MTB, Nashbar Cro-Mo CX, some other bikes and parts that could be made into bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had to have both pedals welded back on to the crank arms because both the crank arm and pedal screw in place stripped out after riding it the second time. I figured since i would need to replace the pedals and crank arms, i may as well just weld them on which worked.
This thread is hilarious.
Old 05-18-12, 10:20 AM
casey86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biknbrian
This thread is hilarious.
I was kind of upset after having ridden the bike only 2 times and less than a mile at that when both pedals stripped out in the crank arms so I just said screw it and had my step dad weld them both on. It did the job but I am already aware I need to have the pedals and crank arms replaced with all metal ones. Right now they are over half plastic.
Old 05-18-12, 10:23 AM
casey86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received your PM. I'll contact you.
Old 05-18-12, 11:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
#1, that is a BSO, bicycle shaped object. a Brooks will be more valuable
than the bike its attached to , and its Hard leather..
you will have to both break in the saddle, and your Butt to the saddle
but well cared for the Traditional leather saddle will go with you
as you replace bikes underneath it..

OTOH, there are many decent Gel padded saddles
Serfas is a good brand, that offer
a more pleasant feel, immediately.

Also look at the local Bike Shop, take offs are new saddles the customer
just wanted a different seat when they bought the bike, so dealer took off the original one.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-18-12 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-18-12, 12:40 PM
biknbrian

Bikes: BiknBrian brand custom 26 inch commuter trekker, Cannondale F600 Single Speeded MTB, Nashbar Cro-Mo CX, some other bikes and parts that could be made into bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was kind of upset after having ridden the bike only 2 times and less than a mile at that when both pedals stripped out in the crank arms so I just said screw it and had my step dad weld them both on. It did the job but I am already aware I need to have the pedals and crank arms replaced with all metal ones. Right now they are over half plastic.
There couldn't be a better way to explain some of the problems with cheap bikes, assemblers that don't know what they are doing, and folks that don't know any better. I think you are doing a great service here.
Old 05-19-12, 09:28 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Serfas is a good brand, that offer
a more pleasant feel, immediately.
A good brand suggestion. I have several serfas saddles on bikes for my wife & daughter. Neither one has complained. They are reasonably priced.

Casey emailed me and I'm going to send him a couple of my takeoffs to see if they work out for him.
Old 05-19-12, 01:04 PM
casey86

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good brand suggestion. I have several serfas saddles on bikes for my wife & daughter. Neither one has complained. They are reasonably priced.

Casey emailed me and I'm going to send him a couple of my takeoffs to see if they work out for him.
Yep. Looking forward to the pics if you send them today.
Old 05-22-12, 12:25 AM
12smile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use that seat.

$20 at Target.

The nose of the seat between your legs is an important way to control the bike.....Not having it is not dangerous or anything but you will notice your arms will be doing a little more of the work in controlling / steering the bike....especially when one hand is off the handlebars.

Google Amazon for 'Ergonomic Bike Seat' and you will be AMAZED at the variety of seats available.

I love the seat and am relieved that no hard objects are trying to be crammed up my crotch while riding.

Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0505.jpg (95.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0504.jpg (100.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-22-12, 07:54 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Yep. Looking forward to the pics if you send them today.
Had a busy weekend and didn't get around to it until last night. Check your e-mail for a pic of what I have.