Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road bike or stick with my hybrid?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Road bike or stick with my hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 08:18 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Once you get that road bike, you will be spending more money on upgrades. You might save immediately if you make a deal with the bike shop and switch to a better set of wheels. When the budget is 1,000; its more like 1,500
Old 09-04-13, 08:19 AM
Afdica

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by surfjimc
N+1 is always the correct solution.
You will definitely have need for both in your future travels.
+1

Bingo!!

I use the hybrid to ride with kids, commute, and run errands. I use the road bike for when I "plan" a ride and just want to enjoy riding for the sake of riding.
Old 09-04-13, 08:20 AM
nondes 
Northern Rider

Bikes: 1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 203 Posts
I switched from a hybrid to a road bike a dozen years ago and haven't looked back. Hybrid may still be useful for utilitarian biking if you do that, using panniers and carrying a lock. Road bike will feel more lively, more an extension of you especially with clipless pedals. Be sure to make full use of the drop handlebars to change position for comfort, to make it easier in a headwind, and to add a bit of momentum on downhills.
Old 09-04-13, 08:25 AM
Afdica

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biker395
You ride through a cemetery? That would be creepy at night!
What's to be afraid of?? It's the people that are alive that you should be more wary of.
Old 09-04-13, 09:05 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Afdica
What's to be afraid of?? It's the people that are alive that you should be more wary of.
Haven't you seen the movies?!? My God, man!

Old 09-04-13, 09:12 AM
Afdica

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess zombies are very "real" to you.
Old 09-04-13, 09:16 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Afdica
I guess zombies are very "real" to you.
They're everywhere. Video games. Movies. They couldn't do that if they weren't real, could they?

Old 09-04-13, 09:17 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Ah yes, but most of the "residents" are older than the movies. So they don't know!
Old 09-04-13, 09:29 AM
Afdica

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
Ah yes, but most of the "residents" are older than the movies. So they don't know!
Hardly.........but we digress...
Old 09-04-13, 09:52 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 3 distinctly different bikes for my 3 distinctly different personalities

Len-Betty-Carlos
Old 09-04-13, 10:35 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by nbseer
From what I've read, guess I should go for Tiagra or 150?
Gary
It's Tiagra or 105. Don't want you looking like too much of a newb when you go into the bike shop!

And either would be fine but for your price point I'd look at Tiagra since to get 105 they'll probably skimp on other less important parts - like the frame!
Old 09-04-13, 10:54 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
Some people are perfectly continuing to ride hybrids and commuters. And even have gone so far as to turn a road bike into an upright ride.
I am just completing that move now. (perhaps pics next week when the last of it is done)

My old road bike has become a flat bar bike with some touring elements using everything I have found that I like over the years. For a hint, 25mm rear, 23mm front tires. 50/34 compact double mated to an 11/32 wide range cassette (AW coded 8 speed with no large jumps in tooth counts). Light duty seatpost rack. Mirrors lights etc.
Old 09-04-13, 11:35 AM
rocdoc

Bikes: Novara Strada 5D (road/touring); Fuji Cross 3.0 (trail/cyclocross); SE Stout 29er (mountain, single speed)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a cyclocross bike? It's a nice in-between, no?
Old 09-04-13, 11:59 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are they really that different? Here is a comparison between a Fuji Absolute and a Cannondale Synapse:

You might figure out if your bike is really too small for you. If it's not, or if it's just a matter of buying a longer stem, for example, you could put drop bars on your current bike, as sreten suggested, and save a lot of money.
Old 09-04-13, 02:18 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
The only reason I would get rid of my old-cheapo 7-speed hybrid would be to buy a new one. I use it for shopping, running errands and even ride it on A-club rides. A few weeks ago I completed a 61 mile solo training ride on it. A great workout.
Old 09-04-13, 03:11 PM
Steve Sawyer

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to keep it just under $1,000, waiting for bike shop sales.
You're coming into the sales season right now. Most of the manufacturers introduce new models in August/September I understand, and they like to move out the older models. For a 54 (if that is your correct size) you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one in your size, but they will become scarcer as time goes by. I bought my first road bike in the spring of this year, and ended up paying top $ because all the 2012 models were pretty much gone. I only found one that was in my size, at a great price, but it wasn't the bike I wanted based on test rides. I was told by more than one shop that the best time to get a smokin' deal on a new bike is from September through the run-up to Christmas if you're willing to go with last year's model, which is usually just fine unless there is some must-have new feature or configuration that is ONLY available on the new models.

If you decide to get a new bike rather than tinkering with the hybrid, keep in mind that you're buying a bike shop, not just a bike. If you're lucky enough to live in a metro area that has a large number of bike shops, make the rounds, talk to the folks selling the bikes, and take a few test rides to see what appeals to you, and gauge how you're treated by the bike shop. Note too that today you don't need to make an all-or-nothing decision. Something like a Specialized Sirrus puts a flat bar on a frame with road-bike geometry and slightly wider tires (28mm) that you might find more appealing than a drop-bar road bike.

Even if you do decide to go with a road bike, you'll need to test drive several models before you decide which one is most likely to make you happy, so you might as well start early!
Old 09-04-13, 05:17 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by rocdoc
How about a cyclocross bike? It's a nice in-between, no?
I'm of the opinion no. They are the result of a race class that requires that design.
Old 09-04-13, 06:32 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know your bike well enough to pick it apart. Riding uphill takes fitness & a good fit. Flat bars aren't generally good for climbing. Many road bikes focus on weight. A little extra isn't a huge detriment but, I'd put my money into wheels, when it comes to weight. I've thrown drop bars & decent wheels onto a hybrid & made it a good bike to take along on a camping trip with the family. As stated, it really depends on what you are going for.
Old 09-04-13, 06:38 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
62 years old.. ride mostly for exercise.. most trips are 30 miles or less.

But if most of my rides are 30 miles or less, is it really worth getting a road bike, or should I just stick with my hybrid..
You better make a decision soon.
Old 09-04-13, 07:32 PM
nbseer

Bikes: Giant Defy 2 Fuji Absolute 3.0 Mongoose Crossways

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ordered the Giant Defy 2 with Tiagra components after taking a test ride at my LBS. The guy spent time with me, was personable, so I decided to skip the huge chain bike store in the city and go with him. Now I've got to figure out clipless.. or start with mini toe clips? Dunno..
Anyway, thanks for all the great advice from you guys.
Old 09-04-13, 07:40 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Just ordered the Giant Defy 2 with Tiagra components after taking a test ride at my LBS. The guy spent time with me, was personable, so I decided to skip the huge chain bike store in the city and go with him. Now I've got to figure out clipless.. or start with mini toe clips? Dunno..
Anyway, thanks for all the great advice from you guys.
Platforms work ok until you get the rest of the bike figured out. At least that's what I would do until comfortable on the bike.
Old 09-04-13, 07:49 PM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Cannondale Quick 5 and rode it for a month and traded it for a CAAD8... It performs better and i feel like i get a better workout out of it...I am 48 250 lbs and most rides are below 30 miles also...I really should've got a Synapse but that wasn't an option at the time...If i had to pick today i would get a Roubaix or a Synapse... i have changed my CAAD to be like a Synapse and now i am comfortable....
Old 09-04-13, 07:59 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by NealH
Given you are riding 30 miles, you've mostly already outgrown the hybrid and a road bike is in order....especially since the hybrid is not the right size. The Giant Defy is a good choice, and don't forget to look at the Specialized Roubaix and Trek Domane. A good fit is in order too, as well as being important, as it will ensure your comfort and pleasure on short and long hauls. I ride my road bike (Tarmac) on the greenways, the road, gravel and sometimes dirt if I have too. Compact gearing is called for if you have hills. Club rides are great.
What he said. If you're doing 30 milers on a hybrid, you're probably ready for longer and faster rides on a road bike. A road bike will open doors for you to ride with clubs, that's always a blast. One recommendation, be sure to get a carbon fork on the road bike. You don't want aluminum. Steel is better, but carbon forks are the best for absorbing shock.
Old 09-05-13, 05:45 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the combo pedals....they are Forte and have SPD clips on one side and platform on the other side and i like them for now. I will upgrade later but for a starter pedal it worked great for me.
Old 09-05-13, 06:34 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Do you like...
Yankees, or Red Sox?
For someone who hails from Loovil you certainly have a good sense of what is important!

As for which type of bike, one thing to consider is that a road handlebar offers better hand positions. With a flat bar your palm must always face downward. That's not ergonomic. For example, in order to bend your elbows to lower your body into a wind or to push a bit harder you must stick your elbows out sideways. A road bar offers 4 or 5 possible riding positions and most of them let your palms face inward. Much better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.