Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2018 Cervelo R3 or older version?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 12:35 PM
CerveloJoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm considering the purchase of a Cervelo R3, but haven't taken the opportunity to ride either yet. My closest dealer is an hour or so away. Has anyone ridden both an older version and a 2018 version? Which geometry do you prefer and why. I want responsive handling, but I also want very stable inline handling. I don't care for overly quick, twitchy handling bikes. For riders who have experienced the great handling characteristics of a Colnago, this is the handling traits I'm seeking. You can sit up, pedal or not and the bike tracks straight as an arrow with virtually no effort. But, lay it down for a turn and it feels like it's on rails. Any experience is appreciated.
Old 06-08-18, 01:27 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
So change your name to ColnagoJoe and get a Colnago!

Why settle?
Old 06-08-18, 04:06 PM
CerveloJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So change your name to ColnagoJoe and get a Colnago!

Why settle?
I would consider that, but there are no longer any Colnago dealers near me. I wouldn't be able to test ride or be properly fit to the bike.
Old 06-08-18, 04:41 PM
CerveloJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps I need to better explain my cycling history. I raced bikes during the latter 80's to early 90's. The last exceptional bike I owned was a Colnago Bititan. I stopped cycling altogether soon after starting a family and sold the Colnago. Because of this, many of the contemporary brands weren't even in existence. I started cycling again 3 years ago and I'm riding an antiquated Trek 2000 with down tube shifters and a 7 speed drivetrain. I have identified a few bike brands and particular bikes that are offered within a 50 mile radius of me. There are many very good brands to choose from, including: Specialized, Giant, BMC, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Cervelo to name a few. There are no Colnago, De Rosa, Bianchi, etc. dealers near me, so these aren't really a consideration. After doing as much research as I can online, Cervelo is definitely a bike I want to give a try. There are certainly others I will consider from the manufacturers I mentioned earlier. I have test ridden a Trek road bike (forgot the exact model), but just like the Trek 2000 Inow own, I'm not a huge fan of the fidgety criterium style handling. I prefer a stage race style handling because I have no plans to race criterium's again. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-18, 06:32 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm riding a 2017 R3, and I honestly don't think I'm sensitive enough that I could tell the difference if I got on a 2018:

The chart is weird at the 2017 wheelbase, which is also 1011mm-- so it seems they stretched the chainstay and shortened the front end to keep the same wheelbase on the 2018. It's a tough call as to which to go for-- shops will undoubtedly be clearing out the 2017s, but the 2018 has the full R8000 group and a sensible 11-30 cassette. I survived just 6 months with mid-compact paired to an 11-25 cassette. That ain't climbing gears in my book. The 2018 is also no longer matte, but is also either navy or fluoro yellow. That's a tossup.

Ride-wise, you can't go wrong. I was sold on my R3 within the first few hundred yards of turning the pedals.
Old 06-09-18, 11:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
To be honest I would get the older version unless there was something compelling about the new model that I really wanted, and I'd put the savings into upgrades.

I think any R3 rides beautifully, and from the sound of things, probably the way you want. But handling is really highly personal, one guy's "twitchy" is another's "responsive." So you've got to test ride it. The shop I bought mine at used to encourage people to take long test rides, I ran into a guy on a brand-new looking R3 at a red light about 20 miles from the shop, we chatted for a moment, he said he was on a test ride right then. Put it through its paces.
Old 06-09-18, 05:07 PM
CerveloJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. There does seem to be very little geometry difference. The lower BB height seems to be the most significant difference, which will lower the center of gravity slightly. The 2018 frame is lighter as well. My local shop has both in stock I believe and there is a $700.00 difference. I agree that if I can't tell a significant difference, the older model is the way to go and I can then use the savings to upgrade the wheelset.

edit: Another bike that looks very intriguing to me is the BMC Roadmachine 02. This shop also offers BMC bikes, but I'm not yet sure if they have my size in stock.
Old 06-09-18, 05:20 PM
Afdica

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the Op is speaking of a previous version to 2018, then please specify which model years your LBS has available.Some have several older model years in stock

AS an FYI, 2014 was the model year that Cervelo made design changes that enabled a wider wheel and tire. If comfort via a wider tire is what you are looking for then make sure that the Cervelo model year on the previous version is after 2014.
Old 06-09-18, 05:29 PM
CerveloJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Afdica
If the Op is speaking of a previous version to 2018, then please specify which model years your LBS has available.Some have several older model years in stock

AS an FYI, 2014 was the model year that Cervelo made design changes that enabled a wider wheel and tire. If comfort via a wider tire is what you are looking for then make sure that the Cervelo model year on the previous version is after 2014.
Good point. I believe the bike they have in stock is a 2017 model, but I'm not positive. It is recent though, because the frame is flat black with a gloss white top tube.
Old 06-09-18, 05:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
They also released two models in the 2017MY-- the earlier ones (like mine) came with Ultegra 6800, and the models at the end of the year came with Ultegra 8000. I don't consider that a dealbreaker either-- the 6800 group is excellent (I've read reviews recommending against upgrading to the 8000 if you already own the 6800, there's not enough bang for the buck) and I've had absolutely zero issues with mine. The only thing that needs to go on the 2017 is the 11-25 cassette, and that's only if you go up a lot of hills.
Old 06-09-18, 06:01 PM
CerveloJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
They also released two models in the 2017MY-- the earlier ones (like mine) came with Ultegra 6800, and the models at the end of the year came with Ultegra 8000. I don't consider that a dealbreaker either-- the 6800 group is excellent (I've read reviews recommending against upgrading to the 8000 if you already own the 6800, there's not enough bang for the buck) and I've had absolutely zero issues with mine. The only thing that needs to go on the 2017 is the 11-25 cassette, and that's only if you go up a lot of hills.
The one locally is an early version then, because it has the 6800 group. I don't typically ride a lot of hills unless I travel and ride, but in Eastern NC, head winds can be severe enough that it's much like climbing. I would probably buy an additional cassette for the times I decide to travel to the mountains.
Old 06-10-18, 03:47 PM
profjmb

Bikes: Mosaic RT-1, Trek Boone, Cervelo R3 Team, Surly Cross Check, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have the 2012 Team R3, and I love it (despite having a newer bike that I also love). I suspect that frameset advances mean little within a decade. Groupsets make something of a difference (especially electronic! Although my Cervelo has mechanical and is a pleasure.). I have deep wheels that make me happy to look at, and there's a small but not trivial efficiency. Get a bike that makes you happy to look at and ride. It's the happiness and riding that count. Given an acceptable lightness, stiffness, and comfort (or more realistically 2 of 3), as well as aesthetics and bling, invest in time to find the best saddle for your butt and shoes for your feet.
Old 06-10-18, 06:27 PM
CerveloJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by profjmb
I have the 2012 Team R3, and I love it (despite having a newer bike that I also love). I suspect that frameset advances mean little within a decade. Groupsets make something of a difference (especially electronic! Although my Cervelo has mechanical and is a pleasure.). I have deep wheels that make me happy to look at, and there's a small but not trivial efficiency. Get a bike that makes you happy to look at and ride. It's the happiness and riding that count. Given an acceptable lightness, stiffness, and comfort (or more realistically 2 of 3), as well as aesthetics and bling, invest in time to find the best saddle for your butt and shoes for your feet.
Very sound advice. Thank you!
Old 06-11-18, 03:28 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I was doing some window shopping a few weeks ago and saw the new R3 in my LBS. The downtube looked to be more massive than my '16 R3. That might make a difference in the feel. Try 'em both!
Old 06-11-18, 03:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

For the record every R3 is always X % lighter and Y % stiffer than last year's model. The $700 price difference could pay for a power meter which (if you use it) will make you faster, unlike the few dozen grams difference.
Old 06-13-18, 02:53 PM
CerveloJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An update on my bike search. I haven't had the opportunity to ride either the Cervelo or BMC yet, but I did test ride the Trek endurnceance bike (forget the model) today and I have to say I'm not a big fan of the higher stack on that particular bike. It felt and handled very differently than what I'm accustomed to and felt awkward. Because of this, I may be in search of the Cervelo R5 and BMC Teammachine 02 instead. Maybe the R3 and Roadmachine will not feel as foreign to me as the Trek did, I don't know. Even though I'm older, I'm still reasonably flexible and the traditional race geometry just feels better to me.
Old 06-13-18, 03:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

I think the R3 and R5 are identical shape, just different layup?
Old 06-13-18, 03:16 PM
MidTNBrad

Actually I think this year's R5 has a shorter head tube due to feedback Team Dimension Data.
Old 06-13-18, 03:39 PM
MidTNBrad

While you're at it, go ahead and the the R5 Classics Edition.
Old 06-13-18, 04:59 PM
CerveloJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
Actually I think this year's R5 has a shorter head tube due to feedback Team Dimension Data.

From the youtube videos I've watched, you are correct. The head tube was shortened by 8 mm if I remember correctly and the bottom bracket height was lowered. Other dimensional changes were also made to modify handling. These changes are the reason I'm seriously considering the 2018 model. I am basically looking a racing bike with very stable handling, but that also corners very well. My Colnago had these exact characteristics. I could sit up and at a very slow speed, the bike tracked straight as an arrow. The bike I have now and many criterium oriented bikes are all over the place when I sit up. I raced the Colnago for a couple of years and it worked fine for criterium, but it excelled in mountain rides/races on switchbacks at speed. It felt as if I could lay the Colnago over in turns more than any bike I've ever ridden and it tracked like it was on rails. This is the way the R5 is described.

Edit: Back in the day, the geometry I describe was called stage race geometry. A little slacker angles with precise but very predictable handling.

Last edited by CerveloJoe; 06-13-18 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-13-18, 05:01 PM
CerveloJoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
While you're at it, go ahead and the the R5 Classics Edition.
I haven't seen this particular version. I assume this is named after the European Spring Classics? What are the differences?
Old 06-13-18, 05:13 PM
MidTNBrad

Originally Posted by CerveloJoe
I haven't seen this particular version. I assume this is named after the European Spring Classics? What are the differences?
It's a regular R5 with a paint job that matches the look of when they introduced the latest model during the Spring Classics last year. I think they are only doing a run of 500 units in that colorway. I like it.
Old 06-13-18, 08:12 PM
MidTNBrad

For what it's worth, I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago. Although I never raced, I did a lot of road riding back when I was younger and like you took a hiatus for several years when the kids came and I was traveling extensively for my job. I came from a Litespeed Tuscany which, compared to today's standards, is heavy but tracked well and was not at all what you would call twitchy. I test road a Cannondale and a Felt but chose the R3 because it was just so much more lively than the ride I was used to. The front-end is definitely more active than the Litespeed but it does track well and I have no concerns going downhill around corners. The bike goes where I point it. Also, in for full disclosure, I've never felt comfortable riding sitting up on either of the bikes. It might be because I'm 6'3" and ride a 61cm frame on both bikes, so my center of gravity is probably a bit higher up. I also looked at a BMC but, right or wrong, counted them out because their warranty is not for the life of the bike for the original owner. Good luck on your search, my guess is that you'll really like the new R5.