Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Strange sound near the bottom bracket (BB) area

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-20, 02:44 PM
torony

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi there,

I own (first owner) a Giant Escape (city/hybrid bike) which i use for fitness purposes equipped with Shimano BB-UN100 cartridge bottom bracket for square taper cranks. I already rode it for 5500 km and im hearing recently a weird sound coming from the BB area ONLY when pedaling on mid cadence level (not when the pedals are under high load). The sound is not continuous and one cannot predict when it will occur. What im sure of is that you will not hear it if you are simply turning the pedals when the bike is stationary (i.e. lifting the rear wheel and turning the pedals by hand), and you will hear the sound 3 times when it is there (i.e you will hear "tak" tak" "tak" then no more sound), Took it for inspection and the shop told me that the BB bearings (model reference: 6903 RS) need to be changed (1 was in a bad shape, the 2nd was good). After installing a new set, the sound remained and nothing changed. They are now advising me to change the whole BB saying that the spindle might be causing the sound.

My questions are:
1- What is the general lifetime of a bearing/BB/spindle knowing that i ride only on asphalted dry roads thus no water/mud residues on the bike except the road surface dust.
2- Is it possible that the BB will be damaged knowing that i/the bike haven't been engaged in any accident/direct hit on the spindle/pedals/crank area.
3- If the BB needs to be replaced, any recommendation on a model that might enhance/help in my riding performance, and what i should be looking for (in terms of dimensions) before buying a new one.

Cheers
Old 09-15-20, 03:25 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
1. Check pedals first. Remove them and spin them in your hand. If gritty, replace or service the bearings. If smooth, grease the threads and re-install. The non-drive side pedal is reverse threaded.

2. Check that the crank arms are securely bolted to the BB spindle.

3. If you're dealing with the BB bearings, just pull the whole cartridge and replace it. I think those UN100s have plastic cups, and may be the source of your noise. I'd replace it with one that has aluminum cups. Pay attention to the bottom bracket width and the spindle length. Both numbers should be written on the cartridge. Grease it well when installing. Mine usually last a couple of years.

Test ride after each step until you isolate/fix the noise.
Old 09-15-20, 05:14 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
The quest to find a strange tick-tick-tick or creak or whatever has driven more than one cyclist to madness. A bicycle frame is great for transmitting sound and what you think is a sound from this might actually be coming from way over there. Like the time I overhauled a bottom bracket... (still there) ...then replaced the pedals... (still there) ...then eventually realized my saddle creaked when it was cold.

My point? Be patient. Don't fixate on a single possibility. Nothing is going to catastrophically fail while you figure it out.

Edit, to answer ar least one of your questions anyway: The time before a bb needs overhaul, under the conditions you describe, is far longer than 5500km.

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 09-15-20 at 05:23 PM.
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 09-15-20, 05:27 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by torony
...weird sound coming from the BB area ONLY when pedaling on mid cadence level (not when the pedals are under high load).
See if you can reproduce the noise when standing out of the saddle. If you can't, it might be the saddle. That might be hard to believe, because it sounds like it's coming from the BB region, but it's happened to many of us - senses and intuition are erroneously suggesting it's the BB or crank, when the saddle is the culprit.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-15-20, 05:46 PM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Had three different situations in our family recently that all sounded like BB only when pedaling. One was a rear thru axle not tight enough. One was a seat post. One was a shoe cleat that just needed removed and cleaned. Eliminate the easy stuff you can do yourself before tearing into the BB. There are long wait times at the shop around here to get service.
Old 09-15-20, 09:24 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I recently had a sound similar to this on my gravel bike. It turned out to be the rear hub. The Pawls in the freehub were not fully engaging, and would cause a random tick or knock. I was convinced it was the bottom bracket.
Likes For Noahma:
Old 09-16-20, 07:09 AM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Had 2 similar issues somewhat recently.
  1. My pedals/cleats were the first one - Spring in the Speedplay cleats was sticking so I'd get these multi-click sounds every once in a while (put some dry lube in them and they were fine).
  2. A single cog in the rear cassette was having issues - Really thought this one was the BB and tried a million different thing before realizing the clicking sound only came on when in a single sprocket on the rear. Not exactly sure what it was but I took the cassette off, cleaned it up, put it back on and the sound was gone.
Old 09-16-20, 07:15 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling Discussion to Bike Mechanics.

Old 09-16-20, 07:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I tend to agree with Fahrenheit531 . It's unlikely things are going to catastrophically and dramatically fail. And likely that whatever is wrong isn't going to cost significantly more to fix when it does finally let you know what it is.

Do be aware and investigate possibilities when ever your think of a possible cause, but don't drive yourself nuts looking for it.

And if your bike shop mechanic didn't tell you it was just a guess about the noise when they dealt with it, then shame on them. Though I suppose coincidentally it might be that the other stuff was still needed at the time.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-16-20 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-16-20, 09:41 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The guy who managed a shop where I once worked shared this advice on mysterious noises:

"Leave it alone. It will either go away on its own or get bad enough that you'll know exactly what's causing it."
Old 09-16-20, 05:52 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
The guy who managed a shop where I once worked shared this advice on mysterious noises:

"Leave it alone. It will either go away on its own or get bad enough that you'll know exactly what's causing it."
Yep, exactly right. My ticking sound ended up being a micro-crack in a crank arm. I figured this out as I was laying on my side on the ground watching my pedal slide across the road.
Likes For Moe Zhoost: