Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Sanding down paint on old frames

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-09, 04:50 PM
Cablestein

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

I have a couple of old steel road frames I'd like to re-paint. A friend has an air compressor and airbrush kit that he'll lend me.

I've started manually sanding one frame with 80 grit sandpaper and a small wire brush for tight spots. Oh man does it take a long time! Basically each length of tube takes an hour to completely sand down to bare metal. Each dropout takes about one and a half hours. Each small boss (for fenders, etc) takes about half an hour. In grand total I can see myself spending 12 hours sand-papering one frame.

Now I can see why sandblasting is so effective!!!

Other than sandblasting, what's the best alternative to manual sanding?

Using an electric palm sander?

Maybe sanding/grinding wheel attachments on a standard drill?
Old 07-05-09, 05:09 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover...the frame will be done in minutes.

stan
Likes For retrofit:
Old 07-05-09, 05:31 PM
Cablestein

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahaaa forgot about that, a paint stripper!

Kind of don't want to use chemicals though.

How safe are they? Is there a lot of liquid in the end to dispose of?
Old 07-05-09, 07:10 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by family_belly
Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover...the frame will be done in minutes.

stan
+1

Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover makes really quick work of stripping a frame of paint. It even works well on powder coated frames.

Just use it outside in open air and use protective gloves. Read the MSDS!

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 07-05-09, 11:03 PM
NoReg
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Palm sanders for the most part are less effective than hand sanding. Their main advantage is a very even distribution of the scratch pattern for finish sanding. Some random orbital sanders are pretty fast. Often you can improve your removal rate hand sanding by experimenting with different papers. 80 grit is coarse but has less points for rapid removal than finer paper, so experimenting with coarser and slightly finer paper.

Also back some strips with filament tape so they are really tough and bootshine the tubes. Be careful about getting heavy scratches in the metal doing that though. You can also hold the strip down under your thumb and pull it through. Or get some cloth backed rolls of 1".

Some wire wheels are pretty effective. You want a reasonable size one being driven by something like a 4" grinder. A 3m Scotchbrite type wheel can be very agressive.

Not saying chemicals or media blasting wouldn't be better...
Old 07-06-09, 12:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
+1 on stripper....also C&V used to have a good section on frame painting.....do a search on post by Dr. Deltron for some good input also

Old 07-06-09, 01:05 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Use kitchen plastic wrap over the paint stripper. It won't dry out as fast, and you'll be done quicker and use less stripper.
Old 07-06-09, 01:21 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Why remove the old paint. I bet that the primer on the bike is better than what you can do at home. Just rough it up and use it as a primer.
Old 07-07-09, 08:07 PM
w98seeng

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Why remove the old paint. I bet that the primer on the bike is better than what you can do at home. Just rough it up and use it as a primer.
Exactly. Only sand the areas that are rusted or scratched. Level out the chips and scratches and paint over the old paint. Use 220 grit paper before painting.
Old 09-28-20, 04:13 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Cablestein
Hi

I have a couple of old steel road frames I'd like to re-paint. A friend has an air compressor and airbrush kit that he'll lend me.

I've started manually sanding one frame with 80 grit sandpaper and a small wire brush for tight spots. Oh man does it take a long time! Basically each length of tube takes an hour to completely sand down to bare metal. Each dropout takes about one and a half hours. Each small boss (for fenders, etc) takes about half an hour. In grand total I can see myself spending 12 hours sand-papering one frame.

Now I can see why sandblasting is so effective!!!

Other than sandblasting, what's the best alternative to manual sanding?

Using an electric palm sander?

Maybe sanding/grinding wheel attachments on a standard drill?
I started stripping down an old Peugeot frame and the plan was to level out scratches and remove rust. Once I discovered that there was surface rust under the cracking paint, likely on 90% of the frame, I realized I will need to cut my sanding time down. I used my orbital palm sander with 100 grit and had some decent results in minutes. Plan on doing more sanding today. I do have a bottle of citri stripper paint remover but have no experience with it however may end up using it in tight spots.
Old 09-28-20, 04:46 AM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Scraping is much faster than sanding. Buy or make a cabinet scraper as used for scraping wood and you can get the bulk off quickly.
Old 09-28-20, 04:57 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Originally Posted by Canaboo
Scraping is much faster than sanding. Buy or make a cabinet scraper as used for scraping wood and you can get the bulk off quickly.
What are the potential risks for scratching for one that has little to no experience with such a tool?
Old 09-28-20, 05:45 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
I would just use a bird's nest wheel on an angle grinder. Sounds violent but they really do just take the paint off (very quickly) and nothing but the paint. There will be some fiddly corners left but it will do the bulk of the job.
Old 09-28-20, 06:45 AM
Canaboo

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by viperocco
What are the potential risks for scratching for one that has little to no experience with such a tool?
The edge of the tool would need to be a but ragged for that to happen.

You can try just using the edge of a dull old knife with a smooth edge. to see how easily the bulk of paint scrapes off.
Old 09-28-20, 06:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by viperocco
Chatter. If the scraper blade starts to chatter then the tube can end up with little marks/indents which will be a pain to smooth out. The blade's shape/grind and it's angle WRT the tube are major factors in how to avoid the blade from skipping/chattering. Andy
Old 09-29-20, 04:05 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
A 4.5" plastic poly wheel grinder will take 80 - 90% of the paint off of a frame in less than an hour.
Likes For headwind15:
Old 09-30-20, 03:35 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
chemical stripper for the win....even works on zombie threads

Old 09-30-20, 09:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
After years of doing this on and off I now will try chemical stuff first. Then mechanical second. But my skin and lungs are not as sensitive to chemicals as others are or to mechanical wear/tear .Andy
Old 10-01-20, 02:43 AM
viperocco

I used that citri peel stripper product yesterday on the tighter spots that the sander couldn't get. It was okay, but messy. I guess sanding is too.
Old 10-01-20, 02:34 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Chemical stripper is a great starting point but every time I've stripped an old frame there was corrosion under the finish so it's not as if you are going to get away with stripper alone. If the paint is "the good stuff" some high power stripper like that Jasco Professional is great because it's much stronger than the weak sauce strippers like that citrus stuff. The good strippers used to require mineral spirits to remove whereas the weak stuff used water. Unfortunately, even the good stuff is weaker than it used to be. Anyway, mechanical rust removal, and removing paint down into cable stops and the like is typically part of the bigger job. Dropping the frame into a blast cabinet at that point speeds up the job greatly if you are fortunate enough to have one. Some phosphoric acid also works great to remove rust. Jasco Etch and Prep, available at Home Depot, is fantastic stuff and highly recommended.

Old 10-01-20, 03:13 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Aircraft stripper even works on powder coat.