Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Genesis Folding Bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Genesis Folding Bike

Old 10-13-14, 02:56 PM
mobilesuit1988

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just received my bike and there's some "click" sound when I spin the rear wheel. Is this the free wheel problem that you guys mentioned in previous post?
Old 12-16-14, 07:33 PM
refuge42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Atom; I was so determined to thank you for posting these images I actually waded thru the formidible registration process. At least I didn't have to provide the blood of a virgin too!
I've been eyeing this bike,..liking folders,..I use a Schwinn Loop 7 to tow my little raft, after getting off our local river..it's true. Will post that later. Any case wanted one for my daughter,...she's got several nice bikes,..road and mountain but these folders are so convenient and fun/ goofy I decided she would probably like it. (The Boulder Co. crowd) It was this or the Citizen Miani same price range,..your pix and review did it for me. An interesting sidelight is that they look like toys,... so dibbling in and out of traffic/ to sidewalk wrong way down alleys folks just think,..oh look at that special needs person,..on his clown bike!! With all the don't buy cheap stuff debate I almost didn't till I actually saw the pix,..thinking come on what do you expect for $200! Much thanx,..I'll report her set up procedures and encourage her to read the manual! You made good points,..thanx!
Old 12-21-14, 11:33 AM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by refuge42
Hi Atom; I was so determined to thank you for posting these images I actually waded thru the formidible registration process. At least I didn't have to provide the blood of a virgin too!
I've been eyeing this bike,..liking folders,..I use a Schwinn Loop 7 to tow my little raft, after getting off our local river..it's true. Will post that later. Any case wanted one for my daughter,...she's got several nice bikes,..road and mountain but these folders are so convenient and fun/ goofy I decided she would probably like it. (The Boulder Co. crowd) It was this or the Citizen Miani same price range,..your pix and review did it for me. An interesting sidelight is that they look like toys,... so dibbling in and out of traffic/ to sidewalk wrong way down alleys folks just think,..oh look at that special needs person,..on his clown bike!! With all the don't buy cheap stuff debate I almost didn't till I actually saw the pix,..thinking come on what do you expect for $200! Much thanx,..I'll report her set up procedures and encourage her to read the manual! You made good points,..thanx!
Hope she likes it. I still love mine.
Old 12-22-14, 08:22 PM
atombikes

Bikes: homebuilt FWD recumbents, Genesis 20" folding bike, 1986 Schwinn Tempo, Cannondale Beast of the East, 70's Peugeot

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mobilesuit1988
I just received my bike and there's some "click" sound when I spin the rear wheel. Is this the free wheel problem that you guys mentioned in previous post?
I don't think so; it sounds like it is the freewheel functioning normally.
Old 12-23-14, 11:22 AM
TheLoneWolf

Bikes: VINTAGE: 1984 components on 1977 Trek tourer frame and 1995 MTB Specialized Hardrock --- NEW: Crane 8 Folder bike (Origami Bicycles Co.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been lurking Bike Forums here for awhile just for random information. Just joined BF and so, this would be my first virginal post This Genesis topic is fun & most informative. It reminds me about the very vintage/old VW Beetles and their passionate owners (I was one of them) doing all manner of mods & tweaks to their basically affordable VW (at that time).

I'm just a leisure rider, long time owner of a very vintage trek tourer and an semi-vintage hard rock mtb. Looking for folder as back-up, only very short/quick rides (to store, post office, errands, etc) and to carry in my old truck. So far, my interest is narrowing between Citizen Gotham 7 and maybe Origami's upcoming new Crane 8. Price affordability is primary consideration with some reasonable quality in the folder. I am a capable DIY & no problem doing a little mechanical type work on bikes.

Appreciate Atombikes & other members too, sharing their ongoing Genesis journey! So far, minimal mention about the Genesis's seat post? Specifically its length. I am assuming the Genesis owners here are under 6 feet tall!? I'm not really big either, just about 5' 10". A few members that commented earlier & briefly about the seatpost, it seems the Genesis seat post is just minimally-barely long enough?? I emailed Citizen about the dimensions of their seat posts ... the diameter & length and they could not tell me and said to phone them. If possible, could anyone tell me what is the diameter of the Genesis seatpost? Also the total length? (from the center of seat rail clamps to end of seatpost). I would prefer seatposts that have a little extra for height adjustment. Someone mentioned that Thor USA sells some Dahon accessories, including a longer seatpost upgrade. There specs say 640mm long (25 inches) and has diameter of 33.9mm (1.33 inches). Does the Genesis seatpost have same diameter?

Again, this is a great topic and Bike Forums in general, is an encyclopedic wealth of knowledge!

Last edited by TheLoneWolf; 12-23-14 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 02:28 PM
Olderfart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seatpost is about 545mm long and 33.9mm dia. Yes, a little short if you're 6 ft or more.
Old 12-23-14, 05:42 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 206 Posts
great thread... I just moved to RI from cocoa beach, and am transitioning from a fat bike and beach riding to city streets and not much storage. folding bikes are just the ticket! just pulled the plug on a genesis and will do these mods! I love it!
Old 12-27-14, 05:24 AM
TheLoneWolf

Bikes: VINTAGE: 1984 components on 1977 Trek tourer frame and 1995 MTB Specialized Hardrock --- NEW: Crane 8 Folder bike (Origami Bicycles Co.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the Front Derailleur add-on could be accomplished & working, that sure would be big positive hurdle to overcome, not only for the bargain bottom priced Genesis but for most other more expensive folder bikes of this size & similar styles that do not, offer front derailleur & double chainring set-ups.

Not sure if I will get Genesis yet, or look to other slightly higher priced brands that may not require as much upgrade fixes. The regular full size bikes I've owned, I have always had at least two to three chainrings up front. Obvious, more gearing selection and especially for the hilly landscapes in my area. Even if I were to do short commutes or quick errands, I would still encounter some road upslopes. With the limited gearing of folders, I would likely at times need to stand on the pedals to negotiate up some of the inclines. Hmmmm .... if I get 'folder', I might also add foot straps to pedals.

This is the only link so far, that I found which goes into some detail about front derailleur add-on to a folder bike. He says it was very difficult. however he also comments, "It took me many hours to get it working satisfactorily, as installing the FD is new to me too, thus I was learning as I went along!"

Hands On Bike: Journey of the Boardwalk: Part 16 - Front Derailleur for the Dahon Boardwalk TT

I have installed, adjusted & tuned front derailleurs on regular size bikes. It may take a little time to tweak it just right, but I would not rate it as high difficulty.

P.S. Ahhh ... since he has never installed front derailleurs before ... okay ... it would maybe be somewhat difficult for him!

Last edited by TheLoneWolf; 12-27-14 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-27-14, 05:38 AM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have any you conidered a Sram dual drive hub to give you 27 gears rather than going for more chain rings and fitting a front derailier? It would mean getting the hub built into a rim. I did this with my Mezzo folding bike and I am very happy with the results.
Old 12-27-14, 07:02 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cpg
Have any you conidered a Sram dual drive hub to give you 27 gears rather than going for more chain rings and fitting a front derailier? It would mean getting the hub built into a rim. I did this with my Mezzo folding bike and I am very happy with the results.
Absolutely a great way to go, except it's not cheap. It will give you better gear range as well as better spacing between gears (if you want it).
Old 12-27-14, 04:52 PM
TheLoneWolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not as familiar with internal gearing hubs. That sure would be a more sophisticated option getting more gearing! Ahh ... I just looked ... those internal hubs are somewhat pricey. Also got to add cost of new wheel build. I'm just thinking keep it simple (in the beginning!) and at somewhat affordable budget. I can deal with the basics of front & rear derailleurs and maybe doing hacks To me, this does not seem complicated, adding front derailleur to a folder and getting it to work to control inner chainring. Of course, I will not know until I acquire an actual 20" folder bike! Just have to be sure the design of folder bike frame near the vertical seat tube just behind the chainring/bottom bracket area, has enough space to attach a FD bracket on the vertical tube, or even a home made custom FD bracket.
Old 01-04-15, 07:58 PM
bergerandfries
That gives him a hobby

Bikes: 1992 Raliegh Heat and 2008 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got one for $160 and have swapped out the bolt-on-hub-axles for some QR axles I had laying around. I also put External Bearing 175mm cranks on the thing so the cranks can come off when I put this thing in a suitcase. When I put the front hub axle as QR, I reduced it down to 72mm spacing by using the old solid axle and the retaining clips without the hub and tightening the nuts until the fork was 55mm between the tips. When I took the axle off, it came out to about 74mm spaced, but YMMV. I also plan to put QR fenders on the thing ($16ish online) and a pump inside the seat tube. The hardcase suitcase I will transform into a trailer for it as well, and will post pics of all of it when I'm done...
Old 01-18-15, 01:02 PM
diver858

Bikes: Ritchey Breakaway; Motobecane Gran Premio COMP (steel 20 speed road bike); Genesis 20" Folding Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atombikes
I was a little bored this evening so I decided to try to place the bike in this Samsonite 26" suitcase I got off craigslist a couple weeks ago. This suitcase measures 26" x 21" x 10" and has a taper towards the top. It's not the best suitcase to put a folder in, but it was only $20 and I thought it looked big enough to work, but at the same time look small enough to not raise any eyes when checking it at the airport.

I did have to disassemble the bike partially, but I totally expected that. The frame and folding stem were no problem at all, especially since the stem is a telescoping one with a 4 bolt handlebar stem at the top. Made it very easy to get the frame into the case with plenty of room. The biggest issue I had were the wheels and tires; since there is a center latch at the top of the case (as well as two side latches) I had to let the air out of the tires to get them to fit due to the latch.

Before I actually fly with it I will have to devise some sort of padding to protect all the parts.
Kudos on a very useful, informative thread. My wife and I were strongly considering Dahon C7a for travel bikes, are now heavily favoring the Genesis.

The subject of airline travel (domestic US) is an important one for us. We recently rode the Dahon CTa and D7 at a LBS, clerk assured us that the Dahon travel bag was suitable for airline transport, I now know that it is larger than the 62" threshold, making it oversized, subject to a $75 - $200 fee on US carriers. When considering some type of suitcase, other container: it is obvious that it must accept the 20" diameter wheel, images do not suggest your full 26" length is required. If you were able to design the ideal container (proper fit, minimal disassembly), what would you consider to the the optimal size?
Old 01-18-15, 01:16 PM
diver858

Bikes: Ritchey Breakaway; Motobecane Gran Premio COMP (steel 20 speed road bike); Genesis 20" Folding Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bergerandfries
I got one for $160 and have swapped out the bolt-on-hub-axles for some QR axles I had laying around. I also put External Bearing 175mm cranks on the thing so the cranks can come off when I put this thing in a suitcase. When I put the front hub axle as QR, I reduced it down to 72mm spacing by using the old solid axle and the retaining clips without the hub and tightening the nuts until the fork was 55mm between the tips. When I took the axle off, it came out to about 74mm spaced, but YMMV. I also plan to put QR fenders on the thing ($16ish online) and a pump inside the seat tube. The hardcase suitcase I will transform into a trailer for it as well, and will post pics of all of it when I'm done...
Would you be kind enough to elaborate for a noob, with limited tools? What is involved to replace:
1. Bolt-on-hub-axles with QR? Am I better off with something like Home | Axle Release
2. External Bearing 175mm cranks, single 52t chainring (FD is a bit overkill for me)
Would you be kind enough to recommend cost effective examples?
Old 01-18-15, 04:43 PM
diver858

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Foldingbikefan
I also got the 3-year warranty for $25 just in case.
Would't most of mods described in this thread void the warranty?
Old 01-18-15, 07:23 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by diver858
Kudos on a very useful, informative thread. My wife and I were strongly considering Dahon C7a for travel bikes, are now heavily favoring the Genesis.

The subject of airline travel (domestic US) is an important one for us. We recently rode the Dahon CTa and D7 at a LBS, clerk assured us that the Dahon travel bag was suitable for airline transport, I now know that it is larger than the 62" threshold, making it oversized, subject to a $75 - $200 fee on US carriers. When considering some type of suitcase, other container: it is obvious that it must accept the 20" diameter wheel, images do not suggest your full 26" length is required. If you were able to design the ideal container (proper fit, minimal disassembly), what would you consider to the the optimal size?
Glad this thread is helpful. The 26" suitcase is about the smallest you could go. The 26" is a lot smaller than a 29".

Would't most of mods described in this thread void the warranty?
I didn't get a warranty. In my mind, the only value of the warranty is on the frame, but the frame has a lifetime warranty, and none of the mods I made affect the frame.
Old 01-19-15, 10:15 AM
diver858

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rather than replace the flat bar, has anyone played around with bar ends?
Old 01-19-15, 09:59 PM
atombikes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rather than replace the flat bar, has anyone played around with bar ends?
I would recommend your suggestion instead of using the bullhorns I added. Reason: the bullhorns complicate the fold, and those rubbery clamp-on bar ends seem optimal. If I were to do it again, I would simply add the clamp on bar ends.
Old 01-20-15, 11:01 PM
diver858

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Placed an order for 2 bikes today, starting to order components and accessories, ran in to a snag.

Plan is to take the bikes as checked baggage, do not want to deal with an extra suitcase. After reading numerous articles online of people successfully using soft-sided carriers and even plastic bags, I have convinced myself that the risk of using a soft side bag is minimal, worth taking. The issue is that the quoted folded dimensions of 29"L x 26"W x 15"H do not fit ANY of the 20" bags found on eBay or Amazon - including the standard Dahon bag. As the bike is irregular in shape, I was wondering if it might fit in something like this https://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/folding-bike-carry-bag/69078.

Not shown in any of the online articles is the use of packing film Office Depot Brand Stretch Wrap Film 5 x 1000 Roll Clear by Office Depot & OfficeMax - appears like a practical solution to me.

Thoughts?
Old 01-21-15, 09:57 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
The dimensions of your bike are not out of the ordinary. Our bags will fit bikes up to 34 X 26 x 15, and we use metal connectors and have a padded shoulder strap. Standard Carry Bag
Old 01-21-15, 10:27 AM
diver858

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
The dimensions of your bike are not out of the ordinary. Our bags will fit bikes up to 34 X 26 x 15, and we use metal connectors and have a padded shoulder strap. Standard Carry Bag
Thank you, Paul. Just placed an order for 2 bags.
Old 01-21-15, 10:42 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Thank you. Please let me know how you like them.
Old 01-21-15, 06:04 PM
diver858

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
i would recommend none of the above.

they are heavy, poorly constructed, mass produced bikes fitted with z-grade components. i know some people say they are a "good value for the money", but the majority of those same people report back later about all the "upgrades" they have made; i.e., derailleurs, pedals, cranksets, seatposts, saddles, cassettes, chains. after all that, they've spent 400+ on a bike platform that's worth about 50 bucks.
I strong considered a Dahon C7a for >$400, went with the Genesis as it too would require more than $200 in upgrades - seat, higher pressure tires, rear rack, larger chain ring, longer cranks. The only mechanical component I plan to upgrade immediately is the shifter, new Shimano rapid shifter was less than $10 shipped on eBay. Another major consideration is theft - a brand like Dahon is much more of a target than what appears to be just another big box entry level bicycle. Should the Genesis disappear, replacing it will be MUCH less painful. Time will tell if the bottom of the line mechanical components will serve my needs, replacements are cheap (~$20 each), readily available, I expect to ride it a fraction of the ~1500 miles per year on my primary road bike.
Old 01-23-15, 05:13 PM
diver858

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So our bikes arrived, along with some of the additional accessories ordered online, I am starting to put things together.

I scoured forums, eBay and Amazon for a rack, believe that I came up with a winner - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L3JLO7A. Rugged, well constructed, reasonably priced, and most important - FLEXIBLE configuration. It just so happens that one set of the frame clamps were not included with the rack, but they are not necessary for 20" frames, as the adjustable rear supports can be screwed directly to the tapped holes in the frame.

Forum rules unfortunately prevent me from posting images.
Old 01-23-15, 08:36 PM
smallwheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
can anyone tell me how this bike isn't a counterfeit/knockoff/fake?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.