Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo warranty issues

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cervelo warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 01:04 PM
GorgeRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cervelo warranty issues

I'm having trouble with Cervelo stepping up and doing the right thing, and was wondering if others had similar experiences and could get them resolved fairly.

I bought one of the first R3's in 2006 from Competitive Cyclist, which is no longer a dealer since Cervelo killed online retailers in 2010. I rode it for 3 months, put 500 miles on it, then kept it on the wall as a spare since. I've gone through a LOT of carbon bikes since then, including 3 other Cervelos. Then one day this summer I went for a ride on my spare. I get out of the driveway, go up the first hill at like 6mph, and the right chainstay fails. The location was just about 1 inch further back than edge of large chainring; it is a spot you would have a really hard time hitting on purpose or by accident, even if you tried from whichever direction.

Cervelo claims they have a lifetime warranty for any bike sold after 2004. So I went to LBS and they sent pictures to Cervelo. Cervelo said it wasn't their problem. So we sent the frame to them so they could see in person how the bike was in mint condition (despite the age) and no sign of crash, etc. The engineers at Cervelo repeated that it wasn't their problem; they don't know what happened, but they're sure it couldn't have been their fault. I talked to Cervelo directly and they won't budge. Im really, really frustrated with them. They offered a crash replacement, but I'm wondering why I'd want to ever ride a Cervelo again, if the product fails, and the company won't step up to made it good.

Anyone have any thoughts on how else to approach them?
Old 08-08-14, 01:49 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Have you contacted Competitive Cyclist, the shop from which you bought it?

If this is exactly what they are doing, I'd wonder why I'd ever want to do business with them again, myself.

But I do suggest talking to Competitive Cyclist about this.
Old 08-08-14, 04:25 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
Can you post pictures of the damage, for my own curiosity?

Personally, I don't get buying a ~$4k bike to hang on the wall as a spare, but your means must obviously be different than mine. Strange that the chain stay would suddenly fail after such a long period of inactivity. Are you certain nothing happened to it while it sat idly for the better part of a decade?
Old 08-08-14, 04:37 PM
bconneraz

Bikes: Cimarrons 1835, 0836, 1767, 3517, 0768, 3408, a LHT, and a couple others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the effected area as well.
Old 08-09-14, 08:08 AM
GorgeRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sure there was no visible damage before it failed. I've had a very similar carbon failure on brand new a Fiberspar windsurfing boom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cervelo R3.jpg (87.6 KB, 242 views)
Old 08-09-14, 08:14 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I would be very surprised if this problem wouldn't respond to a suit in small claims court. Limits vary by jurisdiction I'm sure, but it seems like a reasonable thing for OP to investigate. I bet just the threat of having a small claims suit filed would bring about a resolution. Then there is also the do-good public service wonk on the nightly local news program who publicizes problems and solutions that citizens have with merchants and manufacturers. Cervelo can't want such publicity.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-09-14, 08:17 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
Not their problem?

Was that really their response or are you paraphrasing? What did they ACTUALLY say?

Also, can you post a better picture?

Old 08-09-14, 10:01 AM
Johnny Rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't hit by something while hanging on your garage wall for years?

Does it look like the impact occurred from the side rather then the top or bottom?

Maybe an errant smack by a shovel, ladder, etc.?

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 08-09-14 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-09-14, 10:22 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

Here we go again.
Old 08-09-14, 10:58 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
have you tried to sue somebody? that's what I'd do, sue somebody.
Old 08-09-14, 11:44 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by GorgeRider

I'm sure there was no visible damage before it failed. I've had a very similar carbon failure on brand new a Fiberspar windsurfing boom.
Is it cracked right though? Seems like an odd failure to happen just riding along without an impact.

I agree this is an issue with Competitive Cyclist. It's irrelevant that they no longer carry Cervelo.
Old 08-09-14, 12:17 PM
Afdica

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gregf83
Is it cracked right though? Seems like an odd failure to happen just riding along without an impact.

I agree this is an issue with Competitive Cyclist. It's irrelevant that they no longer carry Cervelo.
I disagree.The warranty is provided by the manufacturer regardless of who the authorized dealer was. The dealer is merely the conduit to the manufacturer who my have some influence, but the warranty issue rests with Cervelo. What's Competitive Cycle going to do? They no longer have any leverage with Cervelo and certainly cannot be liable for the warranty.
Old 08-09-14, 01:20 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Afdica
I disagree.The warranty is provided by the manufacturer regardless of who the authorized dealer was. The dealer is merely the conduit to the manufacturer who my have some influence, but the warranty issue rests with Cervelo. What's Competitive Cycle going to do? They no longer have any leverage with Cervelo and certainly cannot be liable for the warranty.
Depending on the circumstances, most warranties can be enforced against the seller, distributor or manufacturer.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-09-14, 03:34 PM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by Afdica
The customer contact point is normally the retailer though. Competitive cyclist has an excellent track record with their customers and I suspect they would take care of this issue even though they no longer handle Cervelo.

I expect that Cervelo would be familiar with the possible failure modes of their bikes and where the potential weak spots are. It's also quite possible they evaluated this failure and concluded it was due to something other than a manufacturing defect.
Old 08-09-14, 03:51 PM
Deiph

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Effing Canadians. Sheesh.

But seriously, a warranty claim after 8+ years? More details, please.
Old 08-09-14, 03:59 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Deiph
Effing Canadians. Sheesh.

But seriously, a warranty claim after 8+ years? More details, please.
Lifetime warranty is lifetime warranty, no? OP didn't say he damaged the bike then waited 8 years to report it. He said he didn't ride the bike for 8 years, then damaged it on the first ride after the layoff. Completely different.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-09-14, 04:27 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd be way too embarrassed to ask for a warranty after all these years.

let it go man.

chalk it up to a learning experience.
Old 08-09-14, 04:37 PM
Elvo

Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Maybe your wife or kid banged something against the chain stay?
Old 08-09-14, 04:41 PM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Lifetime warranty is lifetime warranty, no? OP didn't say he damaged the bike then waited 8 years to report it. He said he didn't ride the bike for 8 years, then damaged it on the first ride after the layoff. Completely different.
Like all bike warranties it's a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. It sounds like Cervelo doesn't believe this was a manufacturing defect.
Old 08-09-14, 05:01 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If OP has bought multiple Cervelo bikes over the years, I would expect Cervelo to treat him better. I've have several Cervelo also over the years and they have always been good to me, but I never made frame replacement claim though.
Old 08-09-14, 05:31 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by gregf83
Like all bike warranties it's a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. It sounds like Cervelo doesn't believe this was a manufacturing defect.
That could be, but in response to your earlier comment, it hS nothing to do with the passage of time. If Cervelo didn't believe manufacturing defects (which include design errors) couldn't show up years after purchase, they should have made the warranty for a limited time.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-09-14, 06:45 PM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
That could be, but in response to your earlier comment, it hS nothing to do with the passage of time. If Cervelo didn't believe manufacturing defects (which include design errors) couldn't show up years after purchase, they should have made the warranty for a limited time.
That was someone else's comment on the passage of time. I just think Cervelo believes this isn't a warranty issue. Cervelo doesn't have a reputation for denying legitimate claims.
Old 08-09-14, 07:01 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
8 years = an embarrassing amount of time to own a bike?

Kids these days
Old 08-09-14, 07:19 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by bt

let it go man.

chalk it up to a learning experience.
What's wrong with you? Your advising OP to just bend over and take a reaming. The warranty is a contract without time limit. Why would you be loathe to get what you deserve?

Would your attitude be different if OP had ridden the bike every day for the 8 years? Lifetime means lifetime.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-09-14, 07:25 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by joejack951
8 years = an embarrassing amount of time to own a bike?

Kids these days
not an embarrassing amount of time to own a bike, just an embarrassing amount of time to snivel about a warranty.

don't be childish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.