Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from Chicago

Old 02-28-20, 02:20 AM
Gardenburn
Satanic Mechanic

Bikes: Cross-muter, Soma Saga, Fat Bike, Gravel Gobbler, vintage Italian folder, '84 Trek 500 for sale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi from Chicago

Hi from Chicago
I haven't owned a car in over 15 years.
Commute only via bicycle, have done a fair bit of long distance touring. Love gravel, hate racing. Fat bike in the winter! Professional bike mechanic for 10 years, as of 2019.

Last edited by Gardenburn; 02-28-20 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-28-20, 04:00 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Welcome, I am originally from Rockford, but have lived in south-coastal Delaware for 44 years. I am a long time cyclist that starting learning and doing my own work a couple of years ago. Yesterday, I dismantled my Airborne Zeppelin ti bike down to frame and fork to do a major cleaning/maintenance service on it. I started polishing the frame last night. I am using Goo Gone with a blue scratch pad. What a difference it is making. I will probably do the components over the weekend. Enjoy the ride and be safe!
Old 02-28-20, 04:07 AM
Gardenburn
Satanic Mechanic

Bikes: Cross-muter, Soma Saga, Fat Bike, Gravel Gobbler, vintage Italian folder, '84 Trek 500 for sale

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Welcome, I am originally from Rockford, but have lived in south-coastal Delaware for 44 years. I am a long time cyclist that starting learning and doing my own work a couple of years ago. Yesterday, I dismantled my Airborne Zeppelin ti bike down to frame and fork to do a major cleaning/maintenance service on it. I started polishing the frame last night. I am using Goo Gone with a blue scratch pad. What a difference it is making. I will probably do the components over the weekend. Enjoy the ride and be safe!
Aye! Very cool! My next bike will be Ti. I'm 37, and close to that 'midlife crisis' expensive purchase. 🤣Saving up for my "forever bike", which will be either a Moots or a Firefly. With SNS couplers. I'm quite enamored with titanium.
Old 03-16-20, 12:47 AM
denada

Bikes: '07 jamis venture race, '19 trek fx sport 4

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
hey, Gardenburn! i sold my car after moving to chicago as well. not 15 years ago, but i haven't had a car in over a year. between my bike, buses, the train (i hate it when people call it the "L"), and planes, i see no need to pay $100 - $200 a month to park a car i wouldn't use anyway.

if you ever want to meet up and ride, let me know. i ride every day, and have only had the opportunity to ride with someone else once. they were a bit nervous about riding in city traffic, but i gave them a quarter of a xanax and they got over it quick. i had an extra upright bike in their size, so they didn't have to ride one of those divvy boats.

Last edited by denada; 03-16-20 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-16-20, 07:04 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Hi!
Old 03-20-20, 10:20 AM
designengine

Bikes: hundreds

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am from GA but have lived in Chicago for close to 30 years. I don't ride bikes as much anymore in the winter but try to bike each day to work. I will be treating the lockdown like a vacation and biking for a few hrs every day. Im not much for lakeshore riding due to it being so dangerous. Il see you guys at Pelos Park tho. I am part of a design team developing a cross country racer. The first 2 prototypes will be machined or painted aluminum. Search Design engine Instagram to see screen grabs.

bart brejcha
design-engine