Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Straw poll: Vintage brakes that actually brake!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Straw poll: Vintage brakes that actually brake!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 06:30 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
With any vintage brake it's important to use 'vintage' technique. Braking with one or two fingers from the hoods is not going to cut it. Get in the drops. That's how it was done and it's still the best way. Technique matters.
Exactly. Don't judge vintage brakes by their stopping "power" from the hoods. Vintage cables and many vintage brake blocks are also adequate from the drops.
Old 03-30-20, 08:14 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Cheap poorly adjusted brakes are the only ones that scare me.

I am not a huge of D.P. brakes I think it takes too much effort to modulate your speed as they are simply meant to stop you on a pin head.

Properly tuned and with quality fresh pads/blocks any better quality brake should prove to adequate stopping power. After we rode with centerpull and single pivot brakes of all quality levels and I don't recall of hearing of too many serious accidents or deaths because of a lack of stopping power.

One of my favorite bakes, the beautiful and graceful Chorus brake was intended to modulate your speed rather simply stop you as fast as possible. It takes a very strong grip to get the wheels to lock up and I've only done it once or twice. For all there over engineering the vaunted CampI Delta brakes are designed with the same idea which is why people complained about the "Stopping Power" of them.

The beautiful and graceful Chorus Saphirino brake caliper
my son has a bike with these, impressed me. I was actually a bit surprised. The geometry is of no magic, but the arms are stiff.
that is what I think makes the difference.

mafac’s can be set up to be very powerful, (shorten the straddle wire) with fresh pads - koolstop salmons, pretty good, mod housing and wires, better.
Old 03-30-20, 08:18 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Cheap poorly adjusted brakes are the only ones that scare me.

I am not a huge of D.P. brakes I think it takes too much effort to modulate your speed as they are simply meant to stop you on a pin head.

Properly tuned and with quality fresh pads/blocks any better quality brake should prove to adequate stopping power. After we rode with centerpull and single pivot brakes of all quality levels and I don't recall of hearing of too many serious accidents or deaths because of a lack of stopping power.

One of my favorite bakes, the beautiful and graceful Chorus brake was intended to modulate your speed rather simply stop you as fast as possible. It takes a very strong grip to get the wheels to lock up and I've only done it once or twice. For all there over engineering the vaunted CampI Delta brakes are designed with the same idea which is why people complained about the "Stopping Power" of them.

The beautiful and graceful Chorus Saphirino brake caliper
my son has a bike with these, impressed me. I was actually a bit surprised. The geometry is of no magic, but the arms are stiff.
that is what I think makes the difference. Also impressive but not noted much are the mfg tolerances achieved by Campagnolo to make these calipers not be sloppy or bind up.

mafac’s can be set up to be very powerful, (shorten the straddle wire) with fresh pads - koolstop salmons, pretty good, mod housing and wires, better.
Old 03-30-20, 09:00 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
My favorites:

Suntour XC Pro- I was planning to replace the stock pads with Kool Stop Cross Pads- but these work very nicely.

IMG_0224 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr
https://flic.kr/p/EXNuiW

Superbe Pro Brakes by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr
https://flic.kr/p/231Tmt8

As far as sidepulls, I have a combination of 2 sets of tri-color 600 brakes on my Trek 400- single pivot in the rear and dual pivot in the front.

1986 Trek 400 Elance by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr
https://flic.kr/p/22bqRBu

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 03-30-20 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-30-20, 10:51 AM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Exactly. Don't judge vintage brakes by their stopping "power" from the hoods. Vintage cables and many vintage brake blocks are also adequate from the drops.
With any vintage brake it's important to use 'vintage' technique. Braking with one or two fingers from the hoods is not going to cut it. Get in the drops. That's how it was done and it's still the best way. Technique matters.

not sure I agree with that. If my brakes can’t be finger stopped from the hoods then they are going to replaced ASAP.
Old 03-30-20, 11:13 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogester
not sure I agree with that. If my brakes can’t be finger stopped from the hoods then they are going to replaced ASAP.
There are hydraulic disks available. All you need is a trip to the framebuilder for tabs, some reinforcing at appropriate places, maybe a new fork.
Old 03-30-20, 11:23 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
I've never had a problem with my Suntour Rollercam rears and Pedersen SE fronts on my Cannondale.
Old 03-30-20, 11:39 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Back when I was club racing (way back), I had a Serotta with SunTour Suprbe Pro calipers. I had no problems stopping with them. What I was impressed with, and gave me great confidence, is that I could scrub off minute amounts of speed as I was trying to keep the right distance from the rider in front of me. These calipers paired with the SunTour Superbe levers were absolutely great.

I don't doubt that the equivalent Campangnolo or Shimano Dura Ace would have be similar, however, I never got to experience them.
Old 03-30-20, 01:30 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogester
That's kind of like saying if I can't just leave my '68 VW Beetle in one gear all the time like I do with my new Camry, I'm going to get rid of it.

It just is what it is. Vintage brakes were not designed to finger stop from the hoods. That's fine for cruising around and casual stopping, but not for high speed descents.
Old 03-30-20, 02:31 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
The brakes on this Pro-Tour that I pulled from the trash (even with their 43-year-old pads) are some of the strongest and most-responsive that I've used an a road bike.

Note that the factory positioned the 610-length caliper arm pivots so as to maximize leverage (and to allow optional fitment of 700c rims still with plenty of leverage).

I did some off-roading on it yesterday (in steep, wet conditions) and was not left wanting for braking power.

Likes For dddd:
Old 03-30-20, 02:42 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
One of the most surprising combinations I've ever run across - quite by chance - is a stamped aluminum Dia-Compe upright bar brake lever mated to any Campagnolo Record sidepull variant. Namely, this:

This International was a two-hour parts bin build that I had to throw together on a moment's notice. I never really believed in these stamped Weinmanns and Dia-Compes until this build, but one could argue this is the first time I'd ever mated one of those levers with a Campag sidepull (not even with stellar pads either). I've never experienced such a perfect balance of mechanical advantage, resistance, and modulation in a brake. Ever.

The Tektro dual-pivot in the back felt terrible with the same lever

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 03-30-20 at 02:47 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-30-20, 05:04 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I've been able to stop on a steep downhill without a problem when riding my vintage bicycle with Dura Ace AX brake sets, or when riding my bicycle that has the pre-index Shimano New 600EX brakeset.

Then again, all my brakes work well on my the bikes I ride. If the brakes didn't work well then I wouldn't ride that bike. LOL

Cheers
Old 03-30-20, 05:33 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Here's another outlier. This '42 CCM has a '50 AB hub. The bike weighs at least 50 lbs and I'm 235 lbs. This single, rear, cabled drum brake performs like I've got a pair of well-setup XT canti's . Modulates well or lays a patch like I'm 6 years old again. It defies science.
I'm going to build it into a better rim and then frame. It deserves it.

Old 03-30-20, 06:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Mafac Racers are very good brakes. Early dual pivots (count 'em). Power, modulation and VERY forgiving of rim type and condition. Other brakes I have liked over the years - the Diacomp Grand Comps stock on the '76 Fuji Pro (much better if you actually wanted to stop than the universally used Campy NR in races of the day). Mafac cantilevers. Rode Alba Road above Santa Cruz on my brand new Mooney in a pacific winter storm. As wet as it comes. One fingered the first halt. Cold, wet hands and I had to go to two fingers for the second half. Knew after that descent that they were keepers. 11 years later, I picked up a Miyata 610 with Shimano cantis. Same geometry but a much nicer looking and to work on. Calipers got swapped. The Miyata is long gone but those Shimano cantis ride on.

I like dual pivots but I de-power them with V-brake levers. I like having my stops being event free when the grab for the brakes is fueled by adrenaline from a car brake light. (Dual pivots also bug me that to get the pads to hit simultaneously, you have to set the caliper up cocked to one side. Don't do that and the brake pushes your rim to the side every stop. Cycling's best kept secret? I've never heard it discussed, even by the most fanatic.

I set my Mafacs up as front brakes and use Weinmann (?, might be Diacomps - branded Schwinn approved) calipers in back. Does two things. The Weimanns are stiffer and have less power. Stiffer so running full length housing, front and back end up feeling the same and less power so less happens. Again, same squeeze, same results. (That's 50% squeeze, 50% usable power.) Also one set of Mafacs will stop two bikes. (Really easy to turn a rear Mafac or front Weinmann into the opposite. Just go to any hardware store and buy a metric bolt.)

Current (5) bikes - two with Mafac/Weinmann combos, one with cantis, two with dual pivots and V-brake levers. I'll go down anything on any of them.

Ben
Old 03-30-20, 06:35 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
The mid to late 80's Shimano SLR brakes are the best that I've ridden. I use the Exage Sport model and can pop wheelies at will.
The Dia Compe G500N brakes are meh. They'll stop you. Arms should be longer for more leverage.
The Weinmann 500 brakes are awful. They have a hard time stopping my 135lb body. Flexy garbage.

*I use modern housing with cartridge Kool Stop salmon pads. I also use Dura Ace inner cables. YMMV.
Old 03-30-20, 06:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts

Old school MAFAC centerpulls have plenty of power even compared to modern brakes, if that's your thing. Subjectively lots of brake power for not too much hand squeeze. And BTW, they worked just fine with the original pads BITD. The original pads worked about exactly as well as the modern Kool Stop blacks and felt very similar. Obviously after 50 years, any original rubber pads are useless.

My ride down Alba Road (previous post) was done on the old Mafac rubber but was was brand new.

My first year of racing (mid '70s) I was told to ride the drops anytime things got iffy - road conditions, fellow riders, traffic - so our serious braking was always from the drops. I still set my bikes up so I can ride them all day in the drops. If I have to brake hard from the hoods, I already screwed up. We also were told to ride the drops so if we hit something we didn't see - a fact of life riding in pelotons - so our hands stayed on the handlebars.
Old 03-30-20, 08:33 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
One of the most surprising combinations I've ever run across - quite by chance - is a stamped aluminum Dia-Compe upright bar brake lever mated to any Campagnolo Record sidepull variant. Namely, this:

This International was a two-hour parts bin build that I had to throw together on a moment's notice. I never really believed in these stamped Weinmanns and Dia-Compes until this build, but one could argue this is the first time I'd ever mated one of those levers with a Campag sidepull (not even with stellar pads either). I've never experienced such a perfect balance of mechanical advantage, resistance, and modulation in a brake. Ever.

The Tektro dual-pivot in the back felt terrible with the same lever

-Kurt
Hi Kurt - Same frame built up with a different set of components. Brakes are DiaCompe sidepulls that also are good stoppers!

Old 03-30-20, 08:36 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by orcas island
Hi Kurt - Same frame built up with a different set of components. Brakes are DiaCompe sidepulls that also are good stoppers!
Hard to believe it's the same bike. Here's the event it was built for the night before. All of that for 5 minutes over four city blocks.

-Kurt

Old 03-30-20, 09:54 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
So you’re sayin’ the ride lasted almost as long as the video...
Old 03-30-20, 10:55 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The old Zefal straight tube brake works... once. High maintenance, tho'.

Old 03-30-20, 11:57 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
On another note, has anyone used the Campy Centaur skeleton brakes? Of the more modern brakes, they look like they would melt together with vintage nuovo record stuff.
I have the Centaur gruppo and they are skeleton brakes. I really like them and i even have the campy cables. I have found them to have good stopping and modulation .👍
Old 03-31-20, 03:34 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Not the most effective brakes I've ever ridden, but to my eye, the most beautiful.

Old 03-31-20, 08:26 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by orcas island
So you’re sayin’ the ride lasted almost as long as the video...
...shorter.

-Kurt

Old 03-31-20, 08:50 AM
Whit51 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
I have Shimano Sante single pivot brakes on a 1989 Schwann Circuit. I’m generally not a fan of single pivot calipers, but these stop great!
Old 03-31-20, 09:25 AM
Bogester 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 125 Posts
That's kind of like saying if I can't just leave my '68 VW Beetle in one gear all the time like I do with my new Camry, I'm going to get rid of it.

It just is what it is. Vintage brakes were not designed to finger stop from the hoods. That's fine for cruising around and casual stopping, but not for high speed descents.
no. It’s like saying the brakes on my VW feel different than my Camry but I’m still counting on them to stop me when I need to.

I ride a few different vintage bikes in the city Seattle...huge hills) all the time and I’m totally confident of panic stopping on all of them. The only time my brakes failed me was when I tried to panic stop using suicide levers and I crashed into the side of a car that hooked me. Those levers came off the next day.

The worst brakes I’ve ever used were the long, modern Tektro side pull. I tried these and ended up going back to old centerpulls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.