Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Ergon grips for my Cannondale Quick 4?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Ergon grips for my Cannondale Quick 4?

Old 08-02-12, 01:11 PM
Joelpatrick

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Ergon grips for my Cannondale Quick 4?

I'm looking to get some new grips for my 2013 Quick 4. I've been having a few fingers getting/staying numb from riding and was wanting to see if some different hand positions would help. I'm currently looking on Amazon at the Ergon GP3 or the GP5(I don't see the GP4 on Amazon).

My first question is that the GP3 is available in small, large, small performance length, large performance length. The GP5 only in small and large. What does "performance length" mean?

Also, does anyone have any experience with these grips and could recommend one over the other or maybe even another brand/model?

Lastly, will these fit my Quick 4 without having to do any brake/shifter adjusting?

Ergon GP3 Bicycle Handlebar Grip
https://www.amazon.com/Ergon-Bicycle-Handlebar-Grip-Small/dp/B0039TM1EW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1343933042&sr=1-1&keywords=ergon+gp3

Ergon GP5 Bicycle Handlebar Grip
https://www.amazon.com/Ergon-Comfort-Bicycle-Handlebar-Grips/dp/B002EZ6ZPI/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1343934347&sr=1-1&keywords=ergon+gp5
Old 08-02-12, 01:25 PM
Noize4

Bikes: ‘16 Domane 4.6 Disc, ‘17 Bianchi Impulso S-Sport, ‘12 Giant Escape 0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I assume those are sold in pairs since they don't notate left/right.

I have the exact same bike as you, and the last hybrid I had came with grips very similar to the GP3 (lower cost ones). They didn't really help me with numbness, I think you are going to want a longer bar end like the GP5 to get more hand positions.

I almost think the only way to relieve tingling on long rides would be vertical bars inside the stock grips to really help out.
Old 08-02-12, 03:37 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find the Cannondale grips very comfortable in general. Two other things to consider - are you wearing padded gloves? They help a lot with alleviating numbness. Also, do you ride with locked arms/elbows? If so, that will create numbness too. The ability to move your hands around will help, just want to make sure you've considered the other ways to alleviate the problem.
Old 08-02-12, 07:04 PM
Joelpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been focusing on making sure my arms aren't locked out but I haven't tried gloves yet. Maybe I'll invest in a pair before changing my grips out. Weird thing about my numbness is that its really only in one finger. It's in my left ring finger and I don't wear my wedding ring when riding. Even weirder to me is that it doesn't really go away and I'm not exaggerating. My left ring finger stays numb pretty much all day.
Old 08-02-12, 07:18 PM
Noize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your thumb, index, middle, and half your ring finger are fed by one nerve (median), the other half of the ring finger and your pinky are another nerve (ulnar).

In some cases, these nerves can get inflamed where they pass through your narrow wrist tunnel, creating tingling. Median nerve entrapment is carpal tunnel syndrome, ulnar nerve is ulnar tunnel syndrome.

Keeping your wrists straight is key. Make sure you get it sorted out so it doesn't get worse. Staying numb all day is your body warning you something is wrong.

Last edited by Noize4; 08-09-12 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 08:34 PM
Joelpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading up on it a bit more I think I'll be stopping my my LBS tomorrow and picking some up for sure. I do find it strange that my pinky doesn't get numb. I guess one consideration is that I have had the tip of this finger cut off when I was a kid. It was sewn back on but it's noticeably "altered". I know that sounds funny but its true and I really don't think about it that much. Nonetheless, I'll try gloves.
Old 08-04-12, 07:10 AM
otis66

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are excellent grips. I instaled these on my Trek 930 commuter build. They lock in position and will not move. I've had CTS surgery in both hands an CuTS surgery in my right elbow. I still have CTS pain but when riding with these Ergon grips I have no problems. I can even rest my hands on the flats without griping the bars. These grips are worth the money.
Old 08-04-12, 12:30 PM
Bunnicula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by otis66
These are excellent grips. I instaled these on my Trek 930 commuter build. They lock in position and will not move. I've had CTS surgery in both hands an CuTS surgery in my right elbow. I still have CTS pain but when riding with these Ergon grips I have no problems. I can even rest my hands on the flats without griping the bars. These grips are worth the money.
Yes, Ergon grips are nice and worth the money. Get good gloves first (I consider them a cycling essential), note any differences, then consider getting the Ergons for added comfort.

I also find that just rotating my hands forward on my grips often helps when any numbness starts.
Old 08-04-12, 06:13 PM
Joelpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. I picked up some of the Specialized BG gel gloves and will try them out tomorrow on my long weekend ride. I was thinking also instead of getting Ergon grips to just get some bar ends since it would be close to the same thing. Thats if I find it necessary.
Old 08-08-12, 11:23 PM
otis66

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get Ergon grips with bar ends. The Ergon grips will be much better than gloves.
Old 08-09-12, 05:24 PM
Noize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any update on if the gloves or grips reduced your numbness?
Old 08-09-12, 07:03 PM
Joelpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize4
Any update on if the gloves or grips reduced your numbness?
Just using the Specialized gloves has definitely reduced my numbness. It's also nice to ride without my grip feeling slippery from all the sweat. That alone makes them worth it for me. I don't know if I'm going to get any grips. I have looked into trekking/butterfly bars and I'm intrigued by them. Seems like I could install them fairly cheap and easily. Although I think I'll need a new stem as the Quick comes with a larger one. Unless I can find trekking bars to fit it which I have not.
Old 08-09-12, 07:25 PM
Bunnicula

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hooray, glad the gloves helped!
Specialized makes nice gloves. I bought a pair of their Comps a few weeks back, and I love them.
Gloves are useful for wiping the sweat off your face, too.
Old 08-13-12, 06:48 PM
Joelpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well. Today I just happened to stop by a LBS I had never been to before. Came across these bar ends and I liked the design over all the others I had seen and considered. On top of that they were only $14.99. They're Giant Contact Al bar ends. Figured it's almost like having the Ergon grips when paired with my stock Cannondale grips. Rode ten miles this evening with them and gloves and I think my hand comfort situation is solved.

Old 08-13-12, 07:16 PM
Noize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those look awesome! Congrats.
Old 08-14-12, 07:04 AM
Joelpatrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize4
Those look awesome! Congrats.
Thanks. I'm super happy with my $15 purchase.
Old 08-05-13, 09:25 PM
Subieguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How did you mount those? The stock grips on my Quick 4 don't seem to leave any room on the bars to clamp bar ends on.
Old 08-05-13, 09:44 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Subieguy
How did you mount those? The stock grips on my Quick 4 don't seem to leave any room on the bars to clamp bar ends on.
You should be able to move the controls and grips inward to create space for the bar ends to clamp onto. At least that is what I did with my Ergon GP-1's.

I got the Ergon's not only because I wanted them, but I sorta mangled my stock rubber grips cutting them to install the bar ends .
Old 08-18-13, 06:27 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
I'm commuting on a Trek 7.9 FX with carbon bars. This is going to come off pretty dumb, but here goes. I get the dreaded ulnar nerve numbness something fierce, moving my hand around and focusing on keeping my wrists properly straightened, without putting all of my weight on the bars is helpful, but not perfect. I've got a carbon bar, and i keep reading that my bar is not compatible with bar ends. WTF? Is this a liability issue, for the manufacturer or is it a hard and fast rule. Seems to me with a torque wrench and some properly mechanical ability, I can install ergon GP3Ls without over tightening the install bolts and the bars would be just fine. Am I off base here?
Old 08-18-13, 06:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I put a pair of grip shift short GR3s on my Brompton, the full length ones would require a bit of shortening ,

the ones I got were leaving a bit of gap between itself and the brake band , so I filled that in, with a short bit of Bar tape .

They are good .. benefit the end and grip share a clamp bolt.

Perhaps the Ergon grips and a metal bar will be better than your carbon bar and round grips ..

Or Maybe a solid Core implant epoxied in the end of your CF bar,
will satisfy your attachment to the Carbon Bars.. not be crushed tightening the pinch bolt..

and just live with the companies lack of support, for damages, and the consequences.. if you do.

Of course you can email Ergon and ask why , directly..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-18-13 at 07:12 PM.