Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

New Hybrid Purchase / What bike should I buy??? Post your questions here.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

New Hybrid Purchase / What bike should I buy??? Post your questions here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 04:01 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Question New Hybrid Purchase / What bike should I buy??? Post your questions here.

How about we get the MODS to sticky this thread? Then all questions / answers can be in one thread.
It will also help with searching for past answers to questions already asked, over and over.
The MTB forum has a great thread stickied for newbies, we too should have one.
Old 08-09-12, 05:46 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree.
Old 08-09-12, 05:51 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
+1000
Great idea, giantcfr1.
Old 08-09-12, 07:14 PM
Lavrans

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

I was going to create one more thread to ask one more stupid question about what bike to choose. So I guess I'm just going to be the first one to ask a question in this thread

Obviously I'm looking to get a new hybrid bike, which I will be using mostly as a commuter (about 8 miles round trip). And occasionally I will be taking it on some hike trails for a ride.

I've been reading this forum for a while and sort of narrowed down my choices to:

1. The Jamis Coda Sport
2. The Cannondale Quick 4

I called my LBS told and they told me that they had Quick 4 in stock and that they would have to order Jamis because they stopped carrying Jamis at all for some reason. So I'm going to go check Quick 4 out tomorrow anyway just to get a idea how it feels, but I have some questions.

The thing is that I'm currently living in Ann Arbor and a bunch of kids are coming back to town in September. Since I work at the University my commute basically will be to/from campus. So bottom line, college town, campus, a lot of kids and i guess some bike thieves... And I really don't want to get my brand new bike stolen.
So despite the fact that I'm ready to pay 500-650 $ for a bike I was thinking that maybe it would make sense to get something not that "fancy".
My question is if there are any hybrid bikes on the market in the lower price range which would still be decent enough not to hate myself for buying it?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.
Old 08-13-12, 07:46 PM
Lavrans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, after some research I guess I should be looking at something like Giant Escape or Giant Cypress.
I would appreciate any additional responses though!
Old 08-13-12, 08:30 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Lavrans
Hi everyone,

I was going to create one more thread to ask one more stupid question about what bike to choose. So I guess I'm just going to be the first one to ask a question in this thread

Obviously I'm looking to get a new hybrid bike, which I will be using mostly as a commuter (about 8 miles round trip). And occasionally I will be taking it on some hike trails for a ride.

I've been reading this forum for a while and sort of narrowed down my choices to:

1. The Jamis Coda Sport
2. The Cannondale Quick 4

I called my LBS told and they told me that they had Quick 4 in stock and that they would have to order Jamis because they stopped carrying Jamis at all for some reason. So I'm going to go check Quick 4 out tomorrow anyway just to get a idea how it feels, but I have some questions.

The thing is that I'm currently living in Ann Arbor and a bunch of kids are coming back to town in September. Since I work at the University my commute basically will be to/from campus. So bottom line, college town, campus, a lot of kids and i guess some bike thieves... And I really don't want to get my brand new bike stolen.
So despite the fact that I'm ready to pay 500-650 $ for a bike I was thinking that maybe it would make sense to get something not that "fancy".
My question is if there are any hybrid bikes on the market in the lower price range which would still be decent enough not to hate myself for buying it?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers.
JMHO, I'd buy a USED 1990's "non-suspension" MTB put 26x1.25 commuter/road tires on it and use it as your, Campus Bike, then it would blend in and not stand out! On all the new bikes, my advise is RIDE, RIDE, RIDE all of them and more and let the bike, "talk to YOU"!! When you find the bike that just FEELS right it will be worth the money!

Old 08-19-12, 04:09 PM
musikguy

Bikes: Jamis Coda, Trek 950 Single Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just parroting a previous opinion here but someone in your area has to have a jamis in stock that you could ride. If you feel committed to the original LBS then you can have them order it after you test ride it somewhere else. I thought I had settled on a Trek until I rode a Jamis Coda and now that is my road bike (hybrid) of choice.
Also, and there are dozens of threads here about this, you can't over think your bike getting stolen. Buy a good Ulock or a chain or both and lock it up. If someone is going to take it, it's going to get taken but if it's locked up tight, they may move on to an easier target.

I've had my Jamis for two years and, as far as I know, no one has tried to steal it. but I don't really think about it. I just lock it up and go on with my life.
Old 09-10-12, 09:42 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
BUMP...New bike questions???? How about posting them here instead of starting a new thread?