Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Road Some Cannondales and Specialized Bikes Today

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-01-13, 07:24 PM
Crankykentucky

Bikes: Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I visited a couple of places today and asked one LBS manager to point me towards his favorite "hybrid" bikes. He pointed me towards the Specialized line, the Sirrus line and the Crosstrail bikes. The Crosstrails are new to me, so I took up his offer to let me ride two of the bikes--the Sport and the Elite. I liked both of these bikes, but the Elite was a little nicer. I have already ridden the Sirrus Pro and Comp, so I just drooled over those bikes.

Later on in the day, I posed the same question again to a Cannondale dealer and he pointed me to the Quicks and Bad Boys. I had a great time test riding a Quick CX 2 and CX 3. Then, I got to try out a Bad Boy 3. I was surprised at how nice the Quicks were on the road. The CX 2 was a very nice bike! The dealer also had a Bad Boy Lefty, which he let me try out.

Anyone use a Bad Boy or a Quick for commuting or distance rides? One tech at R.E.I told me that Cannondale Quicks are often used in long rides for charity.

Anyway, that is my wandering for today!

Fred
Old 05-01-13, 08:32 PM
Joelpatrick

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2013 Quick with over 1600 miles now. Used primarily for commuting(18 miles roundtrip) and some weekend long rides(40+). I can say it has given me great service. I can average high speeds on it. Not much slower than my road bike in fact. The high speeds just arent as sustainable for long periods as it is on my road bike. Anywho. I'm running 700x28 gatorskins and on my second chain and brake pads. Other than that, it's been solid and I highly recommend it. However, any big brand in that range will give you comparable results. Speaking of the bad boy, I had regrets that I didn't check it out before the Quick bc I think it looks bad ass.
Old 05-02-13, 04:55 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I'd stay clear of any current model Cannondale with a Lefty Fork. I have read AND also been told by owners, that the hubs used allow water in, and cause all sorts of noises. Visits to the bike shop for maintenence is normal with them.
Once you have it, you are stuck with buying Cannondale Hubs to suit, until you throw the fork.
Not all that looks great is practical, when it comes to Cannondale's "creative" ideas.
NB. PRE-Doral, is a much different story.
Old 05-02-13, 06:58 AM
Crankykentucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joelpatrick
I have a 2013 Quick with over 1600 miles now. Used primarily for commuting(18 miles roundtrip) and some weekend long rides(40+). I can say it has given me great service. I can average high speeds on it. Not much slower than my road bike in fact. The high speeds just arent as sustainable for long periods as it is on my road bike. Anywho. I'm running 700x28 gatorskins and on my second chain and brake pads. Other than that, it's been solid and I highly recommend it. However, any big brand in that range will give you comparable results. Speaking of the bad boy, I had regrets that I didn't check it out before the Quick bc I think it looks bad ass.
I think what surprised me about the Quick was the riding position compared to the other bikes I've tried out. It's not really upright, but it definitely not set up to put me in a crouch and tuck position. I have ridden some recreational bikes that are almost straight upright and I almost feel like I am riding an old Schwinn. But, the Quick was pretty nice and the large frame didn't make me feel cramped. It also helps that this bike shop uses a computer-assisted measuring system and I think I felt the difference in the way they adjusted the bike--mostly the seat--for my rides.

Not sure what to think of the Bad Boy. The ones I have ridden seem to be set up to pitch the rider forward, almost in a position between a road bike and a mountain bike. While I like a bike fit position that is more aggressive for all out road biking, the local riding I do makes the Quick fit and feel more appealing. One customer I talked to, a Quick rider himself, told me that his CX is good for charity rides and he has gone 30 miles without any stress issues.

Thanks again for the comments! Have a great weekend!
Old 05-02-13, 07:02 AM
Crankykentucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
I'd stay clear of any current model Cannondale with a Lefty Fork. I have read AND also been told by owners, that the hubs used allow water in, and cause all sorts of noises. Visits to the bike shop for maintenence is normal with them.
Once you have it, you are stuck with buying Cannondale Hubs to suit, until you throw the fork.
Not all that looks great is practical, when it comes to Cannondale's "creative" ideas.
NB. PRE-Doral, is a much different story.
Hey, thanks for the heads up on the Lefty Fork. I don't know if I would spend the cash for that bike or not, but the advice is greatly appreciated. The people at the LBS did admit that I was a unique customer when it came to bike shoppers they encounter. The Cannondales sell themselves, they said, and most buyers only need a short ride to fall in love with a certain bike. I can see this, but I also asked them if the paint job quality on the 'Dales and the Specialized bikes has something to do with the quick sales!
Old 05-02-13, 08:09 AM
martinus

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
A "Lefty" is the mtb sus fork ... badboys have a "Fatty" , "Solo" or "HeadShok Solo" forks ...
Old 05-02-13, 08:22 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by martinus
A "Lefty" is the mtb sus fork ... badboys have a "Fatty" , "Solo" or "HeadShok Solo" forks ...
You are right. My mistake. I was refering to the Solo Fork as per the BBoy 5 Model

Last edited by giantcfr1; 05-02-13 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-02-13, 03:52 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used my Quick 3 SL for some rides up to 40 miles, some of them on hills in Maine. I've done 30-35 mile rides on dirt and gravel MUPs. The Quick is a great hybrid - agile, nimble, and smooth on the road. That being said, unless it's an unpaved route I'd really probably prefer to use my road bike for a 25 mile or more paved ride.

The Quick IS a comfortable bike, not too upright, and it sounds like you were fitted well with a computerized program. Fit is the key for comfort. It would serve you well as a commuting bike. I'm wondering why you'd prefer the CX, though. The SL would be much lighter and smoother on pavement, but can still handle the occasional foray onto hardpack dirt and gravel paths. The Bad Boy will also be heavier, and although it may look "cool", it probably wouldn't be your best choice for commuting very far. Of course that depends on the condition of the rider, but the lighter bike will certainly make an easier go up any hills. The Quick SL should be the lightest of the 3 Cannondales. I wouldn't go lower than the 3 series if getting one of these bikes, you'll want the thinner tires and better components.

Cannondale makes quality frames. So does Specialized. I really like both brands a lot. Whichever bike frame you are most comfortable on would be your best choice. I felt precarious for some reason on the Specialized Sirrus, but the Cannondale Quick was just right. My road bike is a Specialized Roubaix and it feels made for me, but the Cannondale Synapse didn't quite suit me. The frame's geometry is what it is, and so is your body, some frames will just fit you better.

I mentioned this in another thread, that my BF (yes, I'm a gal) just got a new Quick SL 1 to use on unpaved trails because he hates using his heavier mountain bike after riding a lightweight carbon road bike for the last year. He wanted something lighter for some of the rail trails we ride, and he liked the ride of my Quick 3. Well now he's admitting that he's enjoying the ride of his Quick more than his cf road bike!
Old 05-05-13, 12:27 PM
Crankykentucky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunnicula
I've used my Quick 3 SL for some rides up to 40 miles, some of them on hills in Maine. I've done 30-35 mile rides on dirt and gravel MUPs. The Quick is a great hybrid - agile, nimble, and smooth on the road. That being said, unless it's an unpaved route I'd really probably prefer to use my road bike for a 25 mile or more paved ride.

The Quick IS a comfortable bike, not too upright, and it sounds like you were fitted well with a computerized program. Fit is the key for comfort. It would serve you well as a commuting bike. I'm wondering why you'd prefer the CX, though. The SL would be much lighter and smoother on pavement, but can still handle the occasional foray onto hardpack dirt and gravel paths. The Bad Boy will also be heavier, and although it may look "cool", it probably wouldn't be your best choice for commuting very far. Of course that depends on the condition of the rider, but the lighter bike will certainly make an easier go up any hills. The Quick SL should be the lightest of the 3 Cannondales. I wouldn't go lower than the 3 series if getting one of these bikes, you'll want the thinner tires and better components.

Cannondale makes quality frames. So does Specialized. I really like both brands a lot. Whichever bike frame you are most comfortable on would be your best choice. I felt precarious for some reason on the Specialized Sirrus, but the Cannondale Quick was just right. My road bike is a Specialized Roubaix and it feels made for me, but the Cannondale Synapse didn't quite suit me. The frame's geometry is what it is, and so is your body, some frames will just fit you better.

I mentioned this in another thread, that my BF (yes, I'm a gal) just got a new Quick SL 1 to use on unpaved trails because he hates using his heavier mountain bike after riding a lightweight carbon road bike for the last year. He wanted something lighter for some of the rail trails we ride, and he liked the ride of my Quick 3. Well now he's admitting that he's enjoying the ride of his Quick more than his cf road bike!
Thanks for the reply and the info, Bunnicula. All of the feedback on this thread is interesting. Did you check out any of the Cannondales with front shocks before settling on your Quick SL?

I agree with your comments about the Specialized Sirrus. It could be the dealer that I visited, but I didn't feel like the bike fit me. Rather, I felt like I was perched on a limb at times. I notice you have a Roubaix. How many bikes did you have to try before you decided on that road bike?

I used to be focused on Treks, but I am now looking at Giants, Cannondales and Specialized with an open mind. This forum has helped me a lot. So, thanks again for the comments!