Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need advice on which Trek DS model to get

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-13, 06:54 PM
sbl03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm completely new to bikes, but I've been doing some research before my first "real" bike purchase. What I'm looking for is the best value for my needs.

After some extensive research among various brands, I've narrowed my choices down to the Trek DS Series, as I will be using the bike to commute nearly every day from class to class (1-5 miles/day). It will be mostly road but I shied away from the FX series as I may be taking it offroad on occasion.

That being said, I have three options I'm considering:

2012 Trek DS 8.2 - $477
2013 Trek DS 8.3 - $710
2012 Trek DS 8.4 - $805

What I know is that the 8.4 has hydraulic disc brakes, which I don't know if I'm competent enough to maintain; the 8.3 has mechanical disc brakes; and the 8.2 doesn't have disc brakes.

I would like to use this bike for at least the next 3 years, so I'm impartial for choosing the cheapest one. I will probably test drive all of them at my local bike shop, but I'd appreciate any input I can get from you guys beforehand

Thanks!
Old 05-22-13, 07:36 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
That's easy - just buy the 8.4. Nobody is sorry they bought the best.
Old 05-22-13, 07:52 PM
hir0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ride the one that feels the best. one thing to consider is where you'll be riding. are there hills involved? how "off-road" do you plan to go? light trails? if so, a rigid fork is fine and will actually save weight and energy out of the saddle.
i bought a hybrid thinking the same thing a few years back, and it's barely been off-road. maybe cut through some grass or some dirt here and there but it's no mountain bike, which i found out one day i tried to follow someone on a proper mountain bike through some rough terrain. anyhow - i still love the bike - just hate climbs and sprints out of the saddle because that fork lock out doesn't 100% stop movement, and you can feel the loss through the spongy shocks. i've actually always kept them locked out and ended up ordering a rigid fork for my hybrid.

Anyways - good luck on your search -the only advice i would give is don't rule out a rigid fork!
Old 05-22-13, 08:08 PM
sbl03

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hir0
ride the one that feels the best. one thing to consider is where you'll be riding. are there hills involved? how "off-road" do you plan to go? light trails? if so, a rigid fork is fine and will actually save weight and energy out of the saddle.
i bought a hybrid thinking the same thing a few years back, and it's barely been off-road. maybe cut through some grass or some dirt here and there but it's no mountain bike, which i found out one day i tried to follow someone on a proper mountain bike through some rough terrain. anyhow - i still love the bike - just hate climbs and sprints out of the saddle because that fork lock out doesn't 100% stop movement, and you can feel the loss through the spongy shocks. i've actually always kept them locked out and ended up ordering a rigid fork for my hybrid.

Anyways - good luck on your search -the only advice i would give is don't rule out a rigid fork!
Hm, that's something to consider. I thought that the suspension fork would give me the best of both worlds, but I'm not doing anything more than paved trails, so I think I may have to continue my search considering rigid forks as well. Thanks for your advice!
Old 05-22-13, 10:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the value of the component pick goes up significantly, with the price point increases.
Old 05-23-13, 12:05 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sbl03
I'm completely new to bikes, but I've been doing some research before my first "real" bike purchase. What I'm looking for is the best value for my needs.

After some extensive research among various brands, I've narrowed my choices down to the Trek DS Series...
Please give us a run down of your research of the brands, models, components etc. for future member reference.
Old 05-23-13, 02:17 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbl03
Hm, that's something to consider. I thought that the suspension fork would give me the best of both worlds, but I'm not doing anything more than paved trails, so I think I may have to continue my search considering rigid forks as well. Thanks for your advice!
No, not necessarily. I thought that too, butI quickly grew dissatisfied with the weight and slowness of my front suspension bike. If you're going to do hardpack dirt and gravel, like that found on rail trails, an FX would be fine, as are most ridgid fork hybrids. Since most (99%?) of your riding will be on paved roads you should look for the bike that gives you the nicest ride there.

I'd recommend the Cannondale Quick series also, and Specialized Sirrus.
Old 05-24-13, 10:42 AM
blue_cheese

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I got a 2012 DS 8.4 and am very happy with it, my only gripe is that for what is supposedly a bike that should take some punishment the back (and all the moving parts back there) really loves to shake and rattle when you hit hard things fast. If you really are looking at paved/packed trails only then then the suspension fork may really be more of a nuisance. I am very happy with my decision as at least once a week I take my bike into the hiking trails in the local conservation areas and am reminded why I really like the fact I have disk brakes and a suspension fork, albeit at h rate I am going I don't think they will last . I really like the freedom that the 8.4DS gives me in choosing where to take my bike and I can hop a curb and go into a ditch/forest anytime I feel like it, the suspension lockout on the 8.4 over the 8.3 does go some way in letting the bike remain decent on paved roads and paths (although clearly not as ideal as a stiff fork), at night I say on the road and can still keep up a good decent speed of about 28km/h on average for about an hour on mixed uphill/downhill.

I also lug a trailer with two kids in it (about 100lbs of added weight) often and the braking and climbing of the DS have delivered well in that department. I have no regrets.. in terms of the utility and fun I am having with the bike.