Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano brifter preventive maintenance?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 05:04 PM
mitchmellow62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts

Do any of you follow a schedule of preventive maintenance on your Shimano Brifters? I have had friction shifters on all my recent bikes but I just acquired a 2002 Specialized with 9 speed Ultegra brifters (6500 I believe). This bike is very low mileage (based on the OEM tires) and the brifters work well. However, I know that many brifters gum up or the cables fray. Is there recommended maintenance and a schedule I should follow? I'm not a high mileage rider and the total miles are shared between bikes so this bike will probably get several hundred miles a year at most. I previously had a bike with Tiargra 9 speed brifters and did no maintenance on the brifters. I was on my second chain (with proper maintenance) when I got rid of it and it was shifting fine. I'm very interested in what the rest of you do. There's another thread on RSX brifters right now and someone stated they replace the cable every year. Hopefully, that's excessive for my situation. Looking forward to all those knowledgeable opinions.
Old 06-14-20, 05:31 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Check the shift cable for fraying frequently and anytime there is a sudden or unexpected (non-adjustment related) change in shifting. It would probably be wise to run the gears through their ranges occasionally when it is not being used. I will leave it to others to make lubrication/cleaning recommendations.
Old 06-14-20, 05:33 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I just preemptively change the $4 inner cable yearly. Outer every few years.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-14-20, 08:06 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Shimano once suggested a shifter lubrication schedule but i forget the frequency. My experience suggests if the shifter is new then every couple of years to spray in light weight oil. If the shifter is old then every year. OPf course if the shifter have been flushed clean and relubed due to gumminess then certainly at least once a year as the relubing is not likely to be as long lasting as the OEM lube was. Andy
Old 06-15-20, 07:45 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Shimano once suggested a shifter lubrication schedule but i forget the frequency. My experience suggests if the shifter is new then every couple of years to spray in light weight oil. If the shifter is old then every year. OPf course if the shifter have been flushed clean and relubed due to gumminess then certainly at least once a year as the relubing is not likely to be as long lasting as the OEM lube was. Andy
Andrew, a question : (I'm more in the touring forum regularly so you may not recall my user name, but I've always appreciated your experience and time taken answering folks...)

with my brifters, and any of friends bikes, when they start to get older, I regularly liberally spray the innards as best I can with one of those non sticky silicone type sprays ( stuff called jig-a-loo, sold here in Canada). I realize it's not the same as oem grease, but for years now, it has kept my shifters shifting with very little resistance and shifting perfectly.(ten seasons now)
I kind of figure that avoiding guminess is a real plus.
it's so easy to do, and not messy, it's easy for me to do even twice a year. Bing bang boom and done.

your thoughts on this type of lubrification
cheers
Old 06-15-20, 07:48 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
^^^
I do the same. Never had an issue.
Old 06-15-20, 07:53 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I've been running the same Shimano ST-7700 brifters since 2001, many miles in a variety of conditions, have never done anything other than replace cables and hoods and to this day they work as well as the day I unboxed and installed. Maybe I'm an edge case, but I wouldn't mess with the internals unless something stops working correctly.
Old 06-15-20, 08:33 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Replace inner cables yearly. They tend to fray (IMHO they have a design issue) and that tends to happen. If you're unlucky, it's not unheard of shifter damage because the frayed cable ended up inside the mechanisms.
Old 06-15-20, 08:13 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by djb
Andrew, a question : (I'm more in the touring forum regularly so you may not recall my user name, but I've always appreciated your experience and time taken answering folks...)

with my brifters, and any of friends bikes, when they start to get older, I regularly liberally spray the innards as best I can with one of those non sticky silicone type sprays ( stuff called jig-a-loo, sold here in Canada). I realize it's not the same as oem grease, but for years now, it has kept my shifters shifting with very little resistance and shifting perfectly.(ten seasons now)
I kind of figure that avoiding guminess is a real plus.
it's so easy to do, and not messy, it's easy for me to do even twice a year. Bing bang boom and done.

your thoughts on this type of lubrification
cheers
djb- Yes I recognize your handle. As to lube type I'm an oil guy. I don't use much wax or silicone (although two stints in the ski binding service world decades ago saw a lot of silicone spray) (I do use LPS-3 for steel tubing storage) for lubing moving parts. But lube is like soap, that you use something and do so periodically is more the issue then whether it's Dove or Dr Bronners. Andy
Old 06-15-20, 08:40 PM
djb

djb- Yes I recognize your handle. As to lube type I'm an oil guy. I don't use much wax or silicone (although two stints in the ski binding service world decades ago saw a lot of silicone spray) (I do use LPS-3 for steel tubing storage) for lubing moving parts. But lube is like soap, that you use something and do so periodically is more the issue then whether it's Dove or Dr Bronners. Andy
thanks, any specific light oil suggestions that you use? And do you just drip it in from sides holding shifter wide open in a sweep shift position? Or is it a spray?, just curious
Old 06-16-20, 06:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

I use Triflow spray as my go to light spray lube. The same in a drip for specific points. For medium weight Finish Line Wet in a drip and Phil's Ten oil for the thick stuff.

When just doing a quick addition of lube during a tune up the shift pod gets a shot or two of Triflow spray. Ideally in two different directions but not enough to drip out much. When I do a proper flush and lube I remove the pods and solvent soak then air hose out the old crud. Relubing starts with Triflow and air then medium oil and air then thick oil and air. I do let the pod sit and drain a bit between the applications of lube. If possible I finish with a grease coating. I do about a dozen + each year at work and having used this method for years. I don't get returns a month later like I have seen when "on the bike spray lube only" has been done (on true gummed up shifters). Andy
Old 06-16-20, 01:45 PM
djb

I use Triflow spray as my go to light spray lube. The same in a drip for specific points. For medium weight Finish Line Wet in a drip and Phil's Ten oil for the thick stuff.

When just doing a quick addition of lube during a tune up the shift pod gets a shot or two of Triflow spray. Ideally in two different directions but not enough to drip out much. When I do a proper flush and lube I remove the pods and solvent soak then air hose out the old crud. Relubing starts with Triflow and air then medium oil and air then thick oil and air. I do let the pod sit and drain a bit between the applications of lube. If possible I finish with a grease coating. I do about a dozen + each year at work and having used this method for years. I don't get returns a month later like I have seen when "on the bike spray lube only" has been done (on true gummed up shifters). Andy
cool, thanks for putting down the details, appreciate it.
will try to store that in the old noggin
i betcha having compressed air is pretty important with getting out old gummed up junk.
Old 06-16-20, 04:17 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
To summarize:
* Relatively frequent inspection of cable to avoid fraying.
* Replace cable as often as every year (for those who do: How does the cable look at one year?).
* Shoot a little light spray lube into shifters from two directions every 1-2 years depending on age and use.
* When brifter starts to gum up and/or shift poorly flush with light spray lubricant and compressed air. Relube with combination of light, medium and heavy lubricants in conjunction with compressed air between each (Andrew uses Triflow/ Finish Line Wet/Phil's Tenacious).

Thanks to all!
Old 06-16-20, 08:46 PM
djb

Re cable changing frequency, probably many factors at play

how much riding, flat riding or in hilly where you shift a lot more
derailleur adjustment, ie not having to force too hard shifters
are you a bull in a chinashop type person for shifting, forcing stuff
housing or general routing issues that require you to force more?

I've changed cables that were fraying, obviously waited too long, and probably didn't adjust stuff properly (too high tensions) but have changed cables after 2,3 years and they looked fine.

I figure changing cables sooner is better, but you'd get an idea easily if it's not needed every year lets say if cable and that sharp bend inside sti still looks fine.