Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speed for Overweight Person

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Speed for Overweight Person

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 08:35 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
At your weight, a good set of wheels is mandatory. Cheap factory-built wheels that aren't laced tightly enough or have enough spokes will self-destruct.
Don't see where the OP was asking per wheels or addressing the issue.
Likes For Aladin:
Old 07-16-20, 10:50 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin
Don't see where the OP was asking per wheels or addressing the issue.
It wasn't in the original question, but bike durability seemed to be a side-current in the thread. Possibly due to other responses, not the OP?
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 07-16-20, 11:04 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Cooper1991
What speed should I expect to achieve? On the exercise bike I do between 13-16 km/h (slow-fast) but I read of people averaging 25 km/h. I want to buy a bike but am afraid I will break it as I'm 125kg. I was 139kg and still dieting.
I go about 15 stone.
bike is ok.
😄
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 07-16-20, 11:30 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
What speed should I expect to achieve? On the exercise bike I do between 13-16 km/h (slow-fast) but I read of people averaging 25 km/h. I want to buy a bike but am afraid I will break it as I'm 125kg. I was 139kg and still dieting.
I go about 15 stone.
bike is ok.
😄
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 07-17-20, 11:37 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Choose a bike with wider width rims on the wheels over one that has narrower rims. In general, bikes with narrow rim wheels and higher pressure tires are going to be faster than ones with wider tires and lower pressures for the same amount of effort put into pedaling. If you are careful how you ride and avoid potholes and jumping curbs that will help avoiding damaging the rims no matter what wheels are on the bike. I once rode my Greenspeed trike off a 10" drop onto cement going about 12 mph and didn't damage the wheels but they were very strong 20" Velocity Aeroheat rims with 32 spokes. The same drop on my current trike with the same model rim but with a 700C X 23 tire would not have the same outcome.

Cycling is a great way to lose weight if you combine it with monitoring your caloric intake. I've been an active rider for years but never lost any weight, just crept up a little at a time over the years. During this epidemic I decided to lose weight and went from the upper end of being overweight for my age, height, and activity level to being at the lower end of normal weight. No special diet that would put my body chemistry out of wack but just eating less, never eating anything between meals, and riding my trike more. I lost 33 pounds (15kg) in 3 months. Keeping a calorie intake log keeps me honest when it comes to how much I eat versus what I need to maintain my current weight.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 07-17-20, 11:40 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Choose a bike with wider width rims on the wheels over one that has narrower rims. In general, bikes with narrow rim wheels and higher pressure tires are going to be faster than ones with wider tires and lower pressures for the same amount of effort put into pedaling. If you are careful how you ride and avoid potholes and jumping curbs that will help avoiding damaging the rims no matter what wheels are on the bike. I once rode my Greenspeed trike off a 10" drop onto cement going about 12 mph and didn't damage the wheels but they were very strong 20" Velocity Aeroheat rims with 32 spokes. The same drop on my current trike with the same model rim but with a 700C X 23 tire would not have the same outcome.

Cycling is a great way to lose weight if you combine it with monitoring your caloric intake. I've been an active rider for years but never lost any weight, just crept up a little at a time over the years. During this epidemic I decided to lose weight and went from the upper end of being overweight for my age, height, and activity level to being at the lower end of normal weight. No special diet that would put my body chemistry out of wack but just eating less, never eating anything between meals, and riding my trike more. I lost 33 pounds (15kg) in 3 months. Keeping a calorie intake log keeps me honest when it comes to how much I eat versus what I need to maintain my current weight.
Just skimmed that tripe.. nonsense.

Wider rubber... find psi that gives the desired ride. Spend some coins on the rubber. The wide rim **** is just that.

INSULIN .. makes one fat. Eat so the body makes LESS...........

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-19-20 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Do not change the spelling of words to bypass the forum censor
Likes For Aladin:
Old 07-17-20, 10:23 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Ditto. Steel or quality aluminum, like an old Cannondale. You’ll be fine at that weight. I am

Just keep moving, each day. Things will get better & you’ll enjoy it.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 07-17-20, 10:47 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
I trekked up to Everest Base Camp two years ago at 115 kg and yes, the going up was an absolute killer so I appreciate cycling an incline the same.
I also did EBC in October of ‘17. I was an in shape 83 kgs. Great 3 weeks! Granted it was much easier going back to Lukla.
Old 07-18-20, 07:53 AM
Cooper1991

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it was a wonderful experience. I did Kili too but only lasted 4 days as I hurt my neck and back. It wasn't wonderful as it pissed down for 4 days constant. Coming down from EBC on the double day walks was pretty easy.
Old 07-18-20, 01:59 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Have you picked a bike or narrowed it down some?
Old 07-19-20, 08:19 AM
Aladin

I trekked up to Everest Base Camp two years ago at 115 kg and yes, the going up was an absolute killer so I appreciate cycling an incline the same.

So you are saying that bikes with lots of spokes are stronger? Makes sense.

I'm going to try and lose another 10 kg then buy a bike. On average if I can do 15 km/h on the exercise bike, is that a good target or should it be nearer 20 km/h?

My friend is planning to cycle across India next year and says 5 hours per day at 15 km/h is a slow pace. Seems fast to me? I need to get to that level probably this year.

Oooops----> see India.. heat.. humidity. Sounds like his plan is solid.. NOT to wear one's self down. With Covid myself I'd pick a less populated country.
Old 07-19-20, 08:29 AM
Cooper1991

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure what other countries we'd like that are cheap, interesting and have warm weather. Also the route we picked is mainly downhill as I will struggle in mountain ranges. I was recommended a really good blog CrazyGuyonaBike and he does Dehli to Goa and while he does some 185km days, we wouldn't.