Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New To Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 08:22 PM
Mcgbm21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New To Cycling: What To Buy

I am just getting started in cycling. I am wanting to get into better shape and a healthier life and feel cycling will be fun and challenging. I would like some advice on what to look at buying. I have seen some bikes online for thousands of dollars... was hoping to stay between 250-500 dollars. Any suggestions or tips. Mainly would be riding around towns and neighborhoods with average hills.

Last edited by Mcgbm21; 07-27-20 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 07-27-20, 08:56 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Welcome to the fun and fitness of cycling! And welcome to the Bike Forum!

The best advice I can offer is go to a local bike shop, tell the sales staff what you want and how much money you have in the budget and proceed to buy a bicycle.
Old 07-27-20, 09:24 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcgbm21
I am just getting started in cycling. I am wanting to get into better shape and a healthier life and feel cycling will be fun and challenging. I would like some advice on what to look at buying. I have seen some bikes online for thousands of dollars... was hoping to stay between 250-500 dollars. Any suggestions or tips. Mainly would be riding around towns and neighborhoods with average hills.
The price of the bike is just one part of the budget. You have things like a helmet, shoes, clothing, basic tools, a pump and the list goes on.

Save your money for quality because in the long run it is cheaper and a reliable bike is something you can ride often and safely. Repairs can be costly so going too cheap makes no financial sense at all.

Used bikes often make the most sense as a first bike because many are rarely even used and sell for 50 cents on the dollar or less, generally.

So many people buy bikes and they just sit.
Old 07-27-20, 09:58 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Right now the supply of new bikes in your price range is best described as being dismal. Ditto for the supply of used bikes at reasonable prices. So many people stuck at home have decided to take up cycling that there is a nationwide shortage. If you do go the route of buying a used bike see if you can find someone who knows the difference between a decent bike and a piece of junk to help you. I used to cruise around the neighborhood looking at garage sales (very few these days) and while I would find a fair number of little-used bikes, most of them were from mass merchandisers (Walmart, Target, etc.) and not worth more than a glance.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 07-27-20, 10:12 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
You need to find someone close by that knows bikes and pay them $50 to find you a bike on craigslist. Tell them exactly how you want to use the bike. They have to go look it over with you as well
Old 07-27-20, 10:13 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
maybe that costs $100 I don't know
Old 07-27-20, 11:08 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcgbm21
I am just getting started in cycling. I am wanting to get into better shape and a healthier life and feel cycling will be fun and challenging. I would like some advice
Honestly, rent a bike for a weekend and see what you think. Normally I’d say go to a bike shop and pick out an entry bike, but that option probably isn’t available. You need to find out if riding a bike is more than feeling like it will be fun.

If you do really like it, then you can get serious about finding a good used bike, or decide how much you are willing to spend, and how long you’ll wait, at a bike shop. If you hate it or it doesn’t meet your hopes and dreams, pass on it or buy a cheap Walmart/Target beach cruiser and ride when you feel like it.

John
Old 07-29-20, 03:25 AM
bookthug85

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Biking everywhere is awesome, you won't regret it!