Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Component Everyone Hates (Except You)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Component Everyone Hates (Except You)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 05:16 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Huret Success rear derailleur. Super light, robust, easily handles a 28 tooth sprocket, shifts better than the sought-after Jubilee and looks good until you lose/break that funky plastic insert.
Likes For daka:
Old 08-27-20, 08:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
61 posts in and still no love for spoke protectors (Dork disks). I'm no fan either, and take them off most bikes. I'm just surprised that no one mentioned it yet, or did I miss one?

+1 for friction thumb shifters.
I feel mixed about them, and ultimately, my view is shallow. I remove them because they're ugly. But they are useful. Sure, we can argue that all you have to do is maintain your bike properly and you won't need your spoke protector. But like the "other" driver, you can't control your entire environment, and you can't do any job perfectly. So we really should use spoke protectors. But I don't use them, so I'm full of hot air.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-27-20, 08:39 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Sugino Autex Self-Extracting Crank Bolts

I know some people here on BF don't like the Sugino Autex system as they believe that it's difficult to tighten them to an adequate torque spec, but I'd much rather break out a long-levered 6mm hex wrench than faff around with a crank bolt extractor and wrench.

https://www.velosolo.co.uk/suginoext.html

Sugino Autex Self-Extracting Crank Bolt and Sugino Might Tour Compact Crankset
Likes For NatusEstInSuht:
Old 08-27-20, 09:15 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I feel mixed about them, and ultimately, my view is shallow. I remove them because they're ugly. But they are useful. Sure, we can argue that all you have to do is maintain your bike properly and you won't need your spoke protector. But like the "other" driver, you can't control your entire environment, and you can't do any job perfectly. So we really should use spoke protectors. But I don't use them, so I'm full of hot air.
As a general rule, I don't use spoke protectors either. However, I did put on my Super Course that has a Huret Luxe RD - those mechs are notorious for getting easily bent and sending the idlers into the spokes.
Old 08-31-20, 11:24 AM
tntmoriv

Bikes: 2014 Soma Saga, 1990 Klein Piinnacle, 1971 Schwinn Speedster, 2008 Kona Jake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Square taper triple cranks

Square taper triple cranks. Still have some nice higher-end Shimano 1980s examples. Beautiful but a dying breed.
Likes For tntmoriv:
Old 08-31-20, 11:29 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht
I know some people here on BF don't like the Sugino Autex system as they believe that it's difficult to tighten them to an adequate torque spec, but I'd much rather break out a long-levered 6mm hex wrench than faff around with a crank bolt extractor and wrench.

https://www.velosolo.co.uk/suginoext.html
Sugino Autex Self-Extracting Crank Bolt and Sugino Might Tour Compact Crankset
I have some of the Syncros titanium auto-extractors on my Vitus! Hated them at first, but then grew to love them as I fiddled about with different Ti bottom brackets, trying to reduce the weight of the bike. You can get copies of these that use a full-size 8mm allen, anodized in any color, from China. Cheap, tasteful, useful bling.
Old 08-31-20, 11:32 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Nutted axles. Not as elegant as a quick release lever. Not as old school looking as wing nuts. They work perfectly well on utility bikes (and track bikes).

My first 700c bike, when I was 12, had nutted axles with Allen key bolts. So I just needed a 6mm to open them up. I didn’t even have to open them all the way, just loosened about 2-3 turns, enough to get out (even the front; this was before the days of lawyer lips). I could probably change a tube on that bike as quick as on any QR bike.

Now with thru-axles, the tech is pretty much coming full circle to the extent that some pros who are riding thru axles bring an allen key in their jersey pocket to have their wheel out before the support car shows up.
Old 08-31-20, 11:36 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Bashguards - for a touring bike I think you're right. Or maybe just run an Allvit. It's its own bashguard.
Where do you even get such a thing? I was idly looking for a source a while back, but didn't find anything I liked the looks of. The problem is, most attach to the axle, when to my mind they should attach to the rack eyelets on the dropout. I think a few older Trek MTBs came with bash guards that attach to the eyelets. I even tried welding one up from stainless tube, but I made it too flimsy and it didn't do much guarding.
Old 08-31-20, 11:39 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Nutted axles. Not as elegant as a quick release lever. Not as old school looking as wing nuts. They work perfectly well on utility bikes (and track bikes).
They work perfectly well until you bend or break an axle, a moderately common occurrence on bikes with five or more sprockets.

Steel hubs. Like nutted axles, they are not as elegant as aluminum hubs, but for a utility bike, they get the job done. One negative with them is that I have never seen a steel hub built as a freehub. I do prefer freehubs over freewheels but as long the hub with a freewheel isn't over 6 cogs, things are good even with heavier loads.
If the bike is ridden much, the steel hub eventually begins leaking lubricant at the seam between the flange and the central portion of the hub. Keep riding for a few years, and the flanges begin to migrate inward, thanks to road forces and spoke tension, until the central shaft starts scraping the bearing balls.
Old 08-31-20, 11:56 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
Benatto Cello Tape. I seem to be the only person who likes it. It's on every sigle road bike I own new or old. I love the way it looks and have never had a reason to stop using it.
Old 08-31-20, 12:03 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
I didn't reply because I assume someone else would already say it, but I guess maybe I truly am the only one who doesn't hate the product.

Helicomatic hubs. I guess I'm not big enough to bend the axles. I can appreciate the removal tool which also serves as other tools including the ever-coveted beer-popper, I don't find them any worse to repack than others, and i don't find they wear out any faster than anything else either.

I think they generally get a bad rap. But that's just my 2¢. Could the dust caps be better? Sure. Could they have better supported the axle for heavier people? Sure. Always worked fine for me though.

Likes For francophile:
Old 08-31-20, 12:13 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by francophile
I didn't reply because I assume someone else would already say it, but I guess maybe I truly am the only one who doesn't hate the product.

Helicomatic hubs. I guess I'm not big enough to bend the axles. I can appreciate the removal tool which also serves as other tools including the ever-coveted beer-popper, I don't find them any worse to repack than others, and i don't find they wear out any faster than anything else either.

I think they generally get a bad rap. But that's just my 2¢. Could the dust caps be better? Sure. Could they have better supported the axle for heavier people? Sure. Always worked fine for me though.
I don't think Helicomatic hubs are known for bent axles. In fact, they might have been the first hubs generally available on the market that placed the bearings near the end of the axle on the drive side. They do have a reputation for wearing more quickly than hubs with 1/4" bearing balls, though.
Old 08-31-20, 12:34 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I don't think Helicomatic hubs are known for bent axles. In fact, they might have been the first hubs generally available on the market that placed the bearings near the end of the axle on the drive side. They do have a reputation for wearing more quickly than hubs with 1/4" bearing balls, though.
They should probably be known for axle bendage. Can't tell you how many I've bought off larger people which had the axles bent, I always assumed it was due to the bearing position as you mention.

Never really experienced unusual lifespan, but that may also have a lot to do with which bikes I choose to ride for what purpose.

Old 08-31-20, 12:36 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
It's hard to believe that I'm the first person to mention Delta brakes. I know that a lot of people like them but even more complain about them....and many of those have never even used them. If they're set up right they work as well as anything out there IMO.

Likes For Choke:
Old 08-31-20, 01:20 PM
Trakhak

They should probably be known for axle bendage. Can't tell you how many I've bought off larger people which had the axles bent, I always assumed it was due to the bearing position as you mention.
What's your estimate of how many Helicomatic hubs you've bought with bent axles? More than two or three? I sold Gitanes and Treks with Helicomatic hubs back in the day, and I can't recall ever seeing one with a bent axle. That was in the 1980s, though, before larger people started riding bikes in significant numbers.

That outboard bearing design is the main reason that you almost never see a cassette hub with a bent axle.
Old 08-31-20, 01:35 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,123 Times in 554 Posts
Tubulars - Of course not everyone hates them, but there's still plenty of hate out there. I enjoy the whole process and arcane art of tubular maintenance, plus the availability of sealants has made tubular usage much easier.
Old 08-31-20, 01:55 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

What's your estimate of how many Helicomatic hubs you've bought with bent axles? More than two or three? I sold Gitanes and Treks with Helicomatic hubs back in the day, and I can't recall ever seeing one with a bent axle. That was in the 1980s, though, before larger people started riding bikes in significant numbers.

That outboard bearing design is the main reason that you almost never see a cassette hub with a bent axle.
I'd guesstimate 1 in 5 axles for Helicomatics I've repacked are at least slightly warped, enough you can roll them across a flat service or even take a flat edge to it and clearly see a slight bend. This is something I check on everything when repacking wheelsets. I've repacked a crapload of wheels in my lifetime and I don't recall seeing this more than 1 in 10 with regular hollow-axle style hubs, so to see double that is remarkable to be a coincidence.

There has to be some reason for it. I just assumed it was because of lack of concrete support in the middle. Maybe due to bearings that far outboard, an over-tight QR and enough weight on top will eventually cause warp?

I dunno why it happens, just sharing my experience. Love the product, but

Old 08-31-20, 02:07 PM
Trakhak

I'd guesstimate 1 in 5 axles for Helicomatics I've repacked are at least slightly warped, enough you can roll them across a flat service or even take a flat edge to it and clearly see a slight bend. This is something I check on everything when repacking wheelsets. I've repacked a crapload of wheels in my lifetime and I don't recall seeing this more than 1 in 10 with regular hollow-axle style hubs, so to see double that is remarkable to be a coincidence.

There has to be some reason for it. I just assumed it was because of lack of concrete support in the middle. Maybe due to bearings that far outboard, an over-tight QR and enough weight on top will eventually cause warp?

I dunno why it happens, just sharing my experience. Love the product, but
Thanks for that information. @JohnDThompson was working at Trek around that time and also served as warranty manager for them for a while, I believe; I hope he'll see this thread and weigh in on his recollection of Helicomatic problems.
Old 08-31-20, 02:34 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
A relic of the past - Tire Savers or Flint-catchers

For me it is tire savers or flint-catchers. They are now a relic of the past, except for Rene Herse that sells a new version. Contrary to some, they DO work and are all of 15g in weight. I used them 40 years ago, and when I found them 4 years ago, started again.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 08-31-20 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 04:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
Benatto Cello Tape. I seem to be the only person who likes it. It's on every sigle road bike I own new or old. I love the way it looks and have never had a reason to stop using it.
I also love Benotto tape. I worked in a bike shop when it became all the rage, and we all loved it. I know some people find it slimy, but I don't. Maybe it's the amount of sweat I produce or the tenacity with which I grip the bars. But it works fine, and I like how it looks. We would burn the end with a match after wrapping so it melded with the previous layer, so it stuck without needing another tape to end it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 08-31-20, 04:13 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I also love Benotto tape. I worked in a bike shop when it became all the rage, and we all loved it. I know some people find it slimy, but I don't. Maybe it's the amount of sweat I produce or the tenacity with which I grip the bars. But it works fine, and I like how it looks. We would burn the end with a match after wrapping so it melded with the previous layer, so it stuck without needing another tape to end it.
I'm still working through my horde of either No1 Tape and The Tape from the '70s! STILL on my Fuji 40+ years later!!!!
Old 08-31-20, 04:20 PM
Cougrrcj

As for the component - well, maybe better described as an accessory, is the Pletscher rear rack! Again, my Fuji is STILL equipped with the Pletscher rack from the '70s.

I'm using the same stay mount/support from Bike Warehouse, too!!!

Oh, and @Bill in VA, did I mention the TireSavers????

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 08-31-20 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 04:30 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky Gravol
Safety Levers.
I ride on the tops mostly, in city traffic.
With the safety levers the brakes are at my finger tips.
I don't care if they're dorky.
Yes I can't believe it took 66 posts to get to turkey levers which tells you how much they're hated, right? I love 'em.

Sekine SHS 271
Old 08-31-20, 05:44 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by bikemig
Yes I can't believe it took 66 posts to get to turkey levers which tells you how much they're hated, right? I love 'em.

Sekine SHS 271
Old 08-31-20, 06:06 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3879 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
... until you bend or break an axle, a moderately common occurrence on bikes with five or more sprockets.
Common for who, though? Large Marge? I'm 160 lbs and have broken only one in the last dozen years. And that was on my 5-speed grocery getter. All the other bikes are 6- and 7-speeds and get ridden hard on narrow tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.