Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Revolutionary 622mm disc brake rotor design

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 01:31 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/bike...ish-road-bike/

Likes For ctak:
Old 09-02-20, 01:37 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
"Opponents of the design, however, criticize it for unsafely linking the braking surface to tire retention. As well, the oversized rotors are more susceptible to dirt, water, and oil from the riding surface causing contamination, early wear, and reduced braking performance."
Old 09-02-20, 01:38 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

They literally might as well have taken that from a three-year-old thread on Slowtwitch.
Old 09-02-20, 01:45 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yawn. Let the bike speak for itself without having to resort to rabble-rousing for attention.
Old 09-02-20, 01:51 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The extreme amount of leverage that system provides seems dangerous. I'll wait for more real world testing.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-02-20, 01:51 PM
rafazx10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
EBR motorcycles actually had perimeter disc brakes
Likes For rafazx10:
Old 09-02-20, 01:58 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

And I mean, I’m not really pro-disc as a general thing (universally, anyway) but this is the opposite of a fresh hot take on the topic. And super lame as a publicity stunt. Before I read it I thought it was a slow news day and someone at CyclingTips wrote a lame column; now I’m losing respect for Rob English.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-02-20, 02:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
Not actually part of the bike but the way those ergo bars are jacked down and the placement of the levers looks like something out of the 80s. Goofy.... I assume it's custom so maybe the customer specified that and can't blame the builder. Even so, he should have corrected it for the glamour shots.
Old 09-02-20, 02:21 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
As it has rim brakes, this is clearly a vintage setup
Likes For RedBullFiXX:
Old 09-02-20, 02:21 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Not actually part of the bike but the way those ergo bars are jacked down and the placement of the levers looks like something out of the 80s. Goofy.... I assume it's custom so maybe the customer specified that and can't blame the builder. Even so, he should have corrected it for the glamour shots.
I only skimmed the article, but I think that that was the maker's personal build.
Old 09-02-20, 02:43 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Actually I would say the bars and levers are set correctly.
Old 09-02-20, 02:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,406 Times in 2,745 Posts
^^ If it was C&V stuff you'd be correct. Current bars are designed for the flats to extend horizontally and current brifters are designed for the hoods to initiate and continue from that plane, not be placed half way down the curve. You can look at any manufacturer's website and see examples. Of course people can put stuff anywhere they like but it may compromise the ergonomics the mfg worked so hard to achieve.
Old 09-02-20, 03:10 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Valve stems at appropriate place, cranks set correctly, gold chain, (cha-Ching!) but it’s not in Biggy Smalls. Sad!
Old 09-02-20, 03:30 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I can't afford a custom built bike. I'll ride what I can buy from the store. If it's this new version indicated by the OP or old style hydraulic disc brakes, that is of little importance.

As long as it's stopping performance meets the CPSC requirements for sale and my states legal requirements to be on public roads, I'll be interested more in things that make it go.
Old 09-02-20, 03:55 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Ohhh, he's someone that runs his rear skewer facing backwards. Ughhhh. Ruins an otherwise exquisite ride.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-02-20, 06:54 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
They literally might as well have taken that from a three-year-old thread on Slowtwitch.
You realize that the first TT/tri disc brake bikes tested slower in the tunnel? That was a big initial gripe on Slowtwitch. I would like discs, but not if it makes me slower.
Old 09-02-20, 07:03 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
You realize that the first TT/tri disc brake bikes tested slower in the tunnel? That was a big initial gripe on Slowtwitch. I would like discs, but not if it makes me slower.
I am acutely aware, yes. My tri bike will be the last converted to disc brake, if ever. I'm not sure what that has to do with any of my posts here, though. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, and the spoof/ hot take/ whatever in the article is several years old and was questionable at that point.

My next bike will almost certainly be disc brake, but I will also likely always have a rim brake bike to soak up a lot of the morning training miles in dry, flat Texas.
Old 09-03-20, 12:58 AM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
And I mean, I’m not really pro-disc as a general thing (universally, anyway) but this is the opposite of a fresh hot take on the topic. And super lame as a publicity stunt. Before I read it I thought it was a slow news day and someone at CyclingTips wrote a lame column; now I’m losing respect for Rob English.
Rob wrote the article. Great guy with a sense of humor, unlike Grumps here
Old 09-03-20, 04:38 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by ctak
Rob wrote the article. Great guy with a sense of humor, unlike Grumps here
You might want to check the personal stuff, thanks.
Old 09-03-20, 06:41 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
What are the differences between disc and rim brake performance?
Old 09-03-20, 06:41 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yawn. Let the bike speak for itself without having to resort to rabble-rousing for attention.
It's hideous. There's no puke emoji, or I'd use that. lol
Old 09-03-20, 07:52 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Eh, I read it as more tongue-in-cheek than trying to make a statement so controversial, yet so brave. Lots of us have done parts bin builds before for the hell of it, Rob's parts bin just happens to include a pile of tubing as well. Maybe world-class framebuilders get bored, too.

If he really wanted to maximize the "rotor" size, he would have gone with 630mm wheels, anyways

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Ohhh, he's someone that runs his rear skewer facing backwards. Ughhhh. Ruins an otherwise exquisite ride.
I've never understood that either, but it doesn't offend me nearly as much as that crank
Old 09-03-20, 07:52 AM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I don't entirely understand rim brake diehards. Aside from a few grams and negligible aero gains, I don't understand why anyone would prefer a rim brake given the choice. I suppose the wheels are more compact and thru-axles are a but more fidgety? Seems like a low cost to pay for not tearing up the brake track on your $3000 carbon rims.

Maybe I just don't understand. Would anyone care to convince me otherwise?
Old 09-03-20, 08:11 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by mattscq
I don't entirely understand rim brake diehards. Aside from a few grams and negligible aero gains, I don't understand why anyone would prefer a rim brake given the choice. I suppose the wheels are more compact and thru-axles are a but more fidgety? Seems like a low cost to pay for not tearing up the brake track on your $3000 carbon rims.

Maybe I just don't understand. Would anyone care to convince me otherwise?
Convince? You won’t be convinced, and I don’t care to try, but I can explain. Some of us tend to ride in dry flat environments, and good calipers are plenty for us. That means I can do things like flip the bike while swapping tires without making the brakes squishy, I can put the wheels in my car without worrying about the rotor getting damaged, and generally they’re just a lot more convenient. Oh and cheaper - much is made of the lack of much price difference between, say, an R5 disc and rim, but there’s no R2 disc (or at least wasn’t when I got it). Many of us also already had a bunch of nice rim brake wheels we aren’t eager to replace.

They have advantages, but those of us in the above situations are not thrilled about the “get on board, chump” attitude expressed by many.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 09-03-20, 09:08 AM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Convince? You won’t be convinced, and I don’t care to try, but I can explain. Some of us tend to ride in dry flat environments, and good calipers are plenty for us. That means I can do things like flip the bike while swapping tires without making the brakes squishy, I can put the wheels in my car without worrying about the rotor getting damaged, and generally they’re just a lot more convenient. Oh and cheaper - much is made of the lack of much price difference between, say, an R5 disc and rim, but there’s no R2 disc (or at least wasn’t when I got it). Many of us also already had a bunch of nice rim brake wheels we aren’t eager to replace.

They have advantages, but those of us in the above situations are not thrilled about the “get on board, chump” attitude expressed by many.
I think that's a pretty convincing argument for me at least. I got into cycling not too long ago when discs were already the trend so at the time and now, it made no sense and makes no sense for me to ever get a rim bike. It totally makes sense if you've already got a bunch of rim brake wheels and I can see the sort of elitism/snobbery in telling somebody they should just get over it and spend thousands on a new system.
Likes For mattscq:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.