Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are there better rando rack solutions\ for my Voyageur?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Are there better rando rack solutions\ for my Voyageur?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-20, 12:55 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Fenders are 45mm, tires are 27x1 1/4
pcb Thanks for the response! You're right, even if i were able to bend this to get it lower, it would bring it forward a lot more, and that's no good. Much more and it'll be further out than the end of the fender. As for the Nitto M18, would it not be able to attach to the low rider eyelets on the forks instead of using p-clamps?

like here:

I briefly used an M18, and yes, direct attachment to mid-fork eyelets is possible and preferable. To get the rack farther back, so tombstone would be closer to the head tube, I drilled an additional hole in the bracket that attaches to the fork crown. Not using that rack for other reasons, and sold it it to Andy_K . Don’t recall any forward fender mount however.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 08-28-20, 01:44 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
I briefly used an M18, and yes, direct attachment to mid-fork eyelets is possible and preferable.
Perfect, thanks.
Old 08-28-20, 01:59 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I believe gugie has modified those racks to fit better, but that might have involved sawing and torch work.
I've done that for @rhm a couple of times.

Originally Posted by pcb
As others have said, you can get your rack lower by bending the struts. I've bent both the struts and the older/original non-adjustable through-tang. Not an easy bend, but the tubing feels pretty thick, so I don't think there's much chance you'd compromise strength/durability. In my case I'm mostly using small front rack bags, not large rando bags, so unless I'm hauling gold bars or filling the bag with ball bearings, I can't get much weight in there

Final analysis, though-----custom front rack FTW!
Originally Posted by natterberry
I use the Nitto “Mark’s” Rack, and also purchased longer struts. I actually go down to my dropouts. Lots of flexibility there.
I have one of those on a bike that I didn't want to ruin the paint on.

My "zero" bike, which is parked in Berkeley, CA, where it never rains, so they warn you.
Old 08-28-20, 02:03 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
You certainly should be able to use lowrider mounts instead of p-clamps, if your fork has them. Didn't realize the Voyager has 'em. As long as the struts are long enough, should work a treat. If they're not, you _might_ be able to get longer replacement struts made for other Nitto racks? Not positive on that, but there might be another adjustable Nitto rack that uses longer struts?

And apologies for overlooking Salamandrine mentioning the VO Constructeur front rack earlier. I ignored his contribution and expended many unnecessary electrons. I am grateful for this opportunity for self criticism.

pcb Thanks for the response! You're right, even if i were able to bend this to get it lower, it would bring it forward a lot more, and that's no good. Much more and it'll be further out than the end of the fender. As for the Nitto M18, would it not be able to attach to the low rider eyelets on the forks instead of using p-clamps?

Such as in this example. Mine appear to sit a little lower than these but if the struts start out long enough before being cut it should work, right?

Old 08-28-20, 02:10 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Holy Hannah! And I also missed natterberry already posting about longer struts for the Nitto rack. When will it end? I need to shut up and go play with a bike.....

Originally Posted by pcb
[snip]
If they're not [long enough], you _might_ be able to get longer replacement struts made for other Nitto racks? Not positive on that, but there might be another adjustable Nitto rack that uses longer struts?

And apologies for overlooking Salamandrine mentioning the VO Constructeur front rack earlier. I ignored his contribution and expended many unnecessary electrons. I am grateful for this opportunity for self criticism.
Old 08-28-20, 02:40 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
You certainly should be able to use lowrider mounts instead of p-clamps, if your fork has them. Didn't realize the Voyager has 'em. As long as the struts are long enough, should work a treat. If they're not, you _might_ be able to get longer replacement struts made for other Nitto racks? Not positive on that, but there might be another adjustable Nitto rack that uses longer struts?

Uh, thanks? Stop cracking me up!

FWIW I also have a Nitto M18 rack, but I haven't used it yet. It could fit just about anything. Longer struts for them and other Nitto racks are available. I think Ben's has them IIRC.
Old 08-28-20, 03:22 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
Holy Hannah! And I also missed natterberry already posting about longer struts for the Nitto rack. When will it end? I need to shut up and go play with a bike.....
Haha. The curse of the last post on a page.

Edit: Also, I doubled up on struts. The M1 has that option over the M18 I believe.

Last edited by natterberry; 08-28-20 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 08:24 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
My Mark's rack on my Pro_tour

I got my longer struts from Rivendell, quite expensive for 2 aluminum sticks with a flattened end.
DSC02644 by Bwilli88, on Flickr
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 08-28-20, 09:28 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
What a timely thread...

I think I'm going to be re-evaluating the front rack on my Trek 620.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 08-28-20, 11:12 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
I forgot this, just give in to the force, full gugificatizion
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 08-28-20, 11:19 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by bwilli88
I forgot this, just give in to the force, full gugificatizion
This could be on my future. For now I’ve got an M18 on order. We’ll see how it goes!
Old 09-01-20, 03:19 PM
polymorphself 

Update: The M18 has arrived. It's not as pretty as the VO rack but still looks good and is clearly well made. That being said, the struts do not reach the mid fork eyelets. It's close, about a 3/4 an inch off. Frustrating! Looks like I'll be ordering longer ones if they make them.

Last edited by polymorphself; 09-01-20 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-02-20, 05:52 PM
Dfrost 

Update: The M18 has arrived. It's not as pretty as the VO rack but still looks good and is clearly well made. That being said, the struts do not reach the mid fork eyelets. It's close, about a 3/4 an inch off. Frustrating! Looks like I'll be ordering longer ones if they make them.
Here you go:
https://www.rivbike.com/products/nit...uts-pair-20077
Old 09-02-20, 05:55 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by Dfrost
Thanks, just ordered. Really can't tell if $13 per strut is a really good deal or a total ripoff...so I guess they got it just right
Old 09-02-20, 10:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
You could level that rack out if you used a longer bolt at the fork crown. Put some spacers between the fork crown and the rack.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 09-09-20, 06:16 PM
polymorphself 

The new Nitto struts have arrived and I've got some updates, a question, and a conundrum...

Here is the rack installed, I haven't cut the struts yet.

Does it sit lower than the VO rack did? Yeah, it does. Is it enough to warrant the purchase? Probably not, but aesthetically I'm glad to now have the bag sitting below the flat of the handlebar, as this is a "compact bag" and I wanted it to appear as such.

Is it level? Yep, the struts make it very easy to level it exactly the way you want it. However, as noglider mentioned above, I probably could get the VO rack more level eventually, but it still sits higher than I like.

How do I feel about struts attached to the forks rather than small ones attached to the brakes? I'm not sure yet. Obviously canti post mounting is cleaner and less cumbersome, but I don't currently use low ride panniers and it is nice to get some use out of the fork eyelets, although it is clearly a bit more cluttered, but I also like the somewhat utilitarian look.

Forward positioning: This is as far back as the rack can be pushed with the hardware available. The VO rack sat a little closer to the head tube, which I definitely preferred, especially since the Nitto rack almost passes the fender. That being said, the fender is currently mounted with an L bracket. If I mounted it with a daruma underneath the fork crown, which I prefer anyways, it would push the fender forward a bit and solve this problem

My question: I mounted the struts to the forks using the hardware that is already pre-installed on the forks, and I left the mounts on (I hate the idea of losing these so I don't take them off). Assuming I stick with this installation, would you recommend washers be used at the fork eyelets with this setup?

Ultimately either setup will work. It's a small bag up front that won't be carrying a heavy load. This is mostly a question of aesthetics. Any comments or opinions welcome!

Last edited by polymorphself; 09-09-20 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-09-20, 06:23 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Looks good. You could probably make your own L-bracket for the rack to make it fit better fairly easily.
Old 09-10-20, 12:30 AM
Dfrost 

About forward positioning: I used an M18 rack briefly, and drilled another hole in the L-bracket to move the rack closer to the HT. The limit was the front brake. The material used for that L-bracket is good stuff and not easy to drill. But it needs to be relatively stout.

I’d recommend using the mid-fork mounts, since they move less due to fork flex.

Always use a washer at a bolted joint.
Old 09-10-20, 01:27 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've got M18 racks on two bikes, one of which is the rack I bought from @Dfrost as previously mentioned.

You've got a couple of advantages over my setup. First, the cantilever brakes give you more flexibility to lower the rack. Both of mine need to have an L-bracket that clears the front brake. Second, at least currently, you appear to be using a bag that doesn't require a decaleur. The M18 has an absurdly big tombstone, and I find my forward positioning is limited by needing to align the decaleur with the tombstone. You can't see it in the second picture, but it has even less clearance than the first. My bag didn't have a loop to go around the tombstone, so I added a bit of Velcro, which lets me wrap it around the tombstone after the bag is in place. I'm mentioning this, because if you ever switch to a more traditional bag, you might have this problem with the M18.

I think your setup looks good. I'd keep it with the mid-fork mounts. FWIW, the struts are available in a variety of sizes. You might be able to get a set that extend past the rack less if you'd want that.
Old 09-10-20, 04:49 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
FWIW, the struts are available in a variety of sizes. You might be able to get a set that extend past the rack less if you'd want that.
Whenever faced with excess material, like you have on your struts, I ask "do I cut them off to size or is that excess useful for something?" Think twice, cut once. I had a similar question on a rack and decided to cap the cut ends with a nice piece of red cedar, milled, sanded and varnished. Not a tombstone but a back stop on the rack to secure the front bag to. Maybe leave the struts a bit long and fabricate a bar to go across the ends for a light bar. Or an additional strapping location for a poncho or rain jacket if the day is threatening. Or a place to strap a warmth layer if the weather turns out better than expected. Or a place to zip tie your XXX for President banner of choice.

What unique possibilities are there?
Old 09-10-20, 07:36 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
If you want a cleaner non-velcro option to attach the bag to the rack I can certainly suggest the Grand Bois Velo du Reve EB carrier holder.
I've used them on my Batavus Randonneur GL with VO campeur rack.
Old 09-15-20, 01:26 PM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 105 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread polymorphself! It inspired me to revisit my rack setup and I'm much happier after a bit of tweaking. I have the Velo Orange Rando Rack with integrated decaleur and had the same issue of it being too high and close to my handlebars. I removed the rack, gently bent the canti struts, realigned the fork attachment, and presto! Now it sits lower and further out and it's just perfect, hooray!!