Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hobbies

Old 09-10-20, 07:29 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by nobodyhere
I sing with the a capella gospel group I started and direct - we sing in nursing homes and the like. Swimming, walking, intense resistance exercises, moderating a couple of disability related listservs, advocating for services with legislators, and, lately, going to MD appts!!!
Are you familiar with the a capella group GLAD? Ed Nalle is a dear friend of mine.
Old 09-10-20, 02:57 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier13
uh . . . . you might want to revisit that at some point in the future . . . .
We have been, with a variety of professionals. My eldest has severe autism and when puberty hit, it hit hard.
Old 09-10-20, 05:37 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I kayak, kayak fish, boat/fish, hunt, reload, shoot, cook, get some strength training in when my joints cooperate and maintain a 10 acre camp. I am fortunate that my avocation blends with my vocation. I am the Recreational Boating Safety Program Manager for the 26 state 8th Coast Guard District. One of my primary functions is boater safety education. Since social media is where so many people get their information, I have used social media extensively for education. I enjoy social media in the form of forums and Facebook. I spend a lot of my free time plying social media. It's not unusual for me to go to a kayak group, for example, to chat about kayak fishing then switch hats and go into education mode. I have to be careful because in my non-work status I can be a little bit colorful. It's worked out well for me. I can develop a safety message and within minutes have it out to boating specific social media groups with membership in excess of a million people. That's serious bang for the buck. Once I am fully networked, we will be able to connect with many millions more.

I noticed we had some boaters, kayakers and fishers here. I built a recreational boating safety Facebook group. Not only do we put out safety related content, we welcome others to do the same. We tell some pretty cool SAR stories from time to time as well. Most importantly it's a place the boating public can get qualified "official" answers straight from experts with over 200 years of collective experience. www.facebook.com/groups/safeboating We are growing and would love to have you join us.
Old 09-20-20, 10:09 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
I have "failed" at USCF and Washington Square Chess (i overplay the GROB) & Championship Flight golf success (no tournament wins) & Tennis achievement save for a city championship in a field depleted of young guns so my hobby is giving advice on how to succeed at doing the things I never succeeded at
Old 09-20-20, 06:53 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Before I retired, I was really, really into black and white landscape photography. All ready to purchase a large format camera and a new enlarger for my home darkroom when digital took over, Kodak folded and all my suppliers went belly up. So much for my plans. Staring at a monitor and moving sliders doesn't do it for me.

Now, cycling, restoring old bikes and fixing up bikes to donate. And home brewing beer. And drinking beer.
Old 09-21-20, 11:47 AM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I'm a watercolor artist when i'm not on my bike.
Old 09-23-20, 08:17 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
1) Boardgaming:
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Wylann
Don't get to do it much these days, so I play over the computer (or mostly just play computer games).

2) Motorcycle racing:

Race Bike '09 Ninja 250R

That's my second most expensive hobby.

3) Flying is my most expensive hobby, and I don't even have my license yet. I have friends with planes, and pay for the gas, and basically they let me fly everything except the landing, and sometimes the takeoff. I have also done some dogfighting and aerobatics, which is really expensive.