Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheels for ordinary getting harder to find?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-10-20, 02:16 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts

I have rim brakes and I use cinchers and have no need at all to go tubeless. Seems in looking for wheelsets with this combination is getting less available. My concern with tubeless rims is that I don't need them and would like replacing a spoke if need be to be easy. If the rim does not have traditional spoke holes it gets tedious to put spokes in. Most of the offerings now seem to focus on disc brake wheelsets and tubeless. I know rim brakes are not completely disappearing but getting new wheels may not be anything other than trying to keep the bike running. I can't imagine much effort is being put into this type of design. I don't want to spend a fortune I just run aluminum wheels and try and keep the price under $400. I like H and Son Archetype rims and Shimano Hubs. Now talk about plain...........but they roll smooth and I like Shimano silent hubs in the rear.
Old 09-10-20, 02:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22512 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,113 Posts
I have not been shopping lately, but I am not surprised that more and more factory-made wheelsets are going to be tubeless compatible with the understanding that you can still run them with clinchers and tubes.

If that's a deal-breaker you can always get clincher rims and have a local wheelbuilder build them to your specifications.

Last edited by datlas; 09-10-20 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-10-20, 02:26 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
You can run any ol' clincher tire on any clincher rim. Tubeless is only a possibility if both tube & rim are tubeless capable. Even then, you can run tubes...it's just that the option of tubeless is there.

Not all tubeless capable rims have a smooth "no holes" center channel. Some do, for sure, but many(most?) don't. That's what the tubeless rim tape is for. To cover the spoke holes. 2 layers for high pressure, 1 layer for low pressure. It's good stuff & I run it in all my wheels tubeless or not because it's thinner than Velox or similar cloth rim tape. Getting tires of any variety on/off is easier with out the added thickness of cloth rim tape.

There are plenty of non-disc specific rims available. Disc specific rims only say so because of the absence of brake track. It's a safe bet that unless it specifies "disc only" or similar rim brakes are just fine. You can lace up any rim to a disc brake hub, but not any hub to a "disc brake" only rim.

Velocity wheels tend to be my favorite. There is a chart on their site with recommended width of tires & whether or not disc only &/or tubeless is a capability. Super easy. Almost all except 3 or 4 can be rim braked and all can be tubed.
Tire Chart(1) by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

Last edited by base2; 09-10-20 at 02:42 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-10-20, 02:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/mavi...All%20Products
Likes For big john:
Old 09-10-20, 02:57 PM
deacon mark

Originally Posted by datlas
I have not been shopping lately, but I am not surprised that more and more factory-made wheelsets are going to be tubeless compatible with the understanding that you can still run them with clinchers and tubes.

If that's a deal-breaker you can always get clincher rims and have a local wheelbuilder build them to your specifications.
I can build my own wheels but generally that is way more cash than to buy one. I have in the past because I like to do it but money wise it is not usually very good. At least I can do that if they all stop making the stuff available
Old 09-10-20, 03:00 PM
deacon mark

Originally Posted by base2
You can run any ol' clincher tire on any clincher rim. Tubeless is only a possibility if both tube & rim are tubeless capable. Even then, you can run tubes...it's just that the option of tubeless is there.

Not all tubeless capable rims have a smooth "no holes" center channel. Some do, for sure, but many(most?) don't. That's what the tubeless rim tape is for. To cover the spoke holes. 2 layers for high pressure, 1 layer for low pressure. It's good stuff & I run it in all my wheels tubeless or not because it's thinner than Velox or similar cloth rim tape. Getting tires of any variety on/off is easier with out the added thickness of cloth rim tape.

There are plenty of non-disc specific rims available. Disc specific rims only say so because of the absence of brake track. It's a safe bet that unless it specifies "disc only" or similar rim brakes are just fine. You can lace up any rim to a disc brake hub, but not any hub to a "disc brake" only rim.

Velocity wheels tend to be my favorite. There is a chart on their site with recommended width of tires & whether or not disc only &/or tubeless is a capability. Super easy. Almost all except 3 or 4 can be rim braked and all can be tubed.
Tire Chart(1) by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
The velocity A23 would be good and they have OC rim for rear that is a great thing. The only issue is I just love the roll of these H and Son Archetypes. I build a set of velocity wheels about 8-9 years ago the Yellow Jersey set me all up with the materials and I built them. You have an experience with H and Sons?
Old 09-10-20, 03:19 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Check these wheels out from Hunt Wheels.

These are pretty nice.
Old 09-10-20, 05:09 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
The velocity A23 would be good and they have OC rim for rear that is a great thing. The only issue is I just love the roll of these H and Son Archetypes. I build a set of velocity wheels about 8-9 years ago the Yellow Jersey set me all up with the materials and I built them. You have an experience with H and Sons?
Sorry, I have no experience with Sons rims. I can't imagine they would be terrible and stick around the market very long. I've seen people in the local cycling group with them & they seem to roll along just fine.

Maybe someone here can make suggestions regarding an aluminum rim for your particular purpose.

FWIW: I've been wanting to try Stan's Alpha 340's &/or Velocity Quill's for road use for quite a while now. I'm heavy at around 195 pounds, so definitely not less than 28 double-butted spokes. I'm sure someone lighter would do quite well with a lighter build. I have most of the wheels Velocity offers for one purpose or another. Needless to say I am satisfied with them. I have no doubt Sons are probably just as well.

I'm interested to see what others suggest.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-10-20, 05:59 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
Check these wheels out from Hunt Wheels.

These are pretty nice.
Hunt and silent hubs do not go together, though.
Old 09-10-20, 06:04 PM
ryan_rides

Originally Posted by surak
Hunt and silent hubs do not go together, though.
Who said anything about silent hubs? Who likes silent hubs?
Old 09-10-20, 06:05 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Who said anything about silent hubs? Who likes silent hubs?
The OP.

I like H and Son Archetype rims and Shimano Hubs. Now talk about plain...........but they roll smooth and I like Shimano silent hubs in the rear.
Old 09-10-20, 06:06 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I like H and Son Archetype rims and Shimano Hubs. Now talk about plain...........but they roll smooth and I like Shimano silent hubs in the rear.
So lace a set of Son Archetype rims to Shimano hubs using your favorite spokes and buy spare rims.
Old 09-10-20, 06:08 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
These folks built my last wheel set
sugarwheelworks.com
Old 09-10-20, 06:14 PM
ryan_rides

The OP.
Oh I missed that liner. Well I still think the Hunt Wheels are far greater than Velocity's and even Hplus Son's. I have Hplus Son Archytypes and they are pretty great. They stay in true. I've been hit twice while riding them. Good rims. I would say they are a good investment.
Old 09-10-20, 06:25 PM
surak

Oh I missed that liner. Well I still think the Hunt Wheels are far greater than Velocity's and even Hplus Son's. I have Hplus Son Archytypes and they are pretty great. They stay in true. I've been hit twice while riding them. Good rims. I would say they are a good investment.
I like my Hunt wheels too, but the freehub sound is a real headturner and there's already been clear battle lines drawn between those who like that and those who want silence, and never the twain shall meet.
Old 09-10-20, 06:30 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I like my Hunt wheels too, but the freehub sound is a real headturner and there's already been clear battle lines drawn between those who like that and those who want silence, and never the twain shall meet.
FWIW, the hub on my hunt's front wheel is pretty quiet.
Old 09-10-20, 11:11 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I know, right? I never see them in any shops.

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 09-10-20, 11:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
^^^ I thought those had solid tires.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-11-20, 02:01 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
^^^ I thought those had solid tires.
Pretty sure they are tubeless.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 09-11-20, 04:33 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Velo Mine will have plenty. Tough site to shop, but good store.
Old 09-11-20, 04:57 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Ordinary? ORDINARY?

Classic? Lightweight?
Old 09-11-20, 07:54 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I paid well under $400 for each of my Campy Zonda wheelsets. Fulcrum racing 3 are about the same, but usually cost a little more. Freehubs can be shimano, Campy or xdr. Both are great values. Zonda weight is only 1550 grams and no rim tape needed. There are also cheaper models in each brand.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 09-11-20 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-11-20, 08:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
I have rim brakes and I use cinchers and have no need at all to go tubeless. Seems in looking for wheelsets with this combination is getting less available. My concern with tubeless rims is that I don't need them and would like replacing a spoke if need be to be easy. If the rim does not have traditional spoke holes it gets tedious to put spokes in. Most of the offerings now seem to focus on disc brake wheelsets and tubeless. I know rim brakes are not completely disappearing but getting new wheels may not be anything other than trying to keep the bike running. I can't imagine much effort is being put into this type of design. I don't want to spend a fortune I just run aluminum wheels and try and keep the price under $400. I like H and Son Archetype rims and Shimano Hubs. Now talk about plain...........but they roll smooth and I like Shimano silent hubs in the rear.

You have a setup you like- Archetype rims with Shimano hubs. Perfect- just use that combo moving forward.
I have an Archetype rim with 105 hubs wheelset, and another set that is Archetype rims with Bitex hubs. I like the look of the Archetype rim and it works just fine for me, so whats not to love?

As mentioned already, velomine has Archetype rims with Shimano hubs, though i doubt any are in stock right now.
Or build them yourself.
Or use prowheelbuilder.com to customize them.

At prowheelbuilder, you can get 32h Archetype black rims laced to Shimano 105 r7000 hubs, Sapim Laser double butted spokes, and Sapim brass nipples for $365(after 5% discount) plus shipping, so right at $400 shipped to you.
Handbuilt well, 1810-1850g weight, and right at your price range.
Old 09-11-20, 10:09 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
We have two resident wheel builders here who do excellent work and service. I'm a Boyd customer, CF & AL but I'm sure Pismet is just as good as well as the personal top notch service. I also can recommend A23's and Altamont rims as strong and durable.
Old 09-11-20, 10:47 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
If you want "classic" wheels look to the major manufacturers, Shimano, Mavic, Bontrager, etc. There's not really much of an aftermarket for what are essentially stock wheels.
https://www.rei.com/product/163796/s...rs100-wheelset $135 new.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.