Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Silver 27.2 seatposts

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Silver 27.2 seatposts

Old 09-15-20, 01:30 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I think this is the key... the grub screw that sets the tilt eventually displaces some aluminum in the plate that it bears against. This causes a lack of tension in the main bolt, which allows it to loosen.
I've got a few of these on my bikes, and have had this issue happen on one of them. After re-tightening it, the problem never occurred again.

The first generation seems a bit better in this respect. In the photo below, the first gen is on the left, and the 2nd gen (I believe) is on the right. The first gen has a rounded tip on the grub screw and hasn't produced any deformation in the plate that it contacts. The later generation design just has a bevel on the tip of the grub screw and this does produce some observable deformation in the aluminum plate.

The first gen is distinguished by the seat post having the head and the shaft machined out of a single piece.
The later gen bonds a separate head to the shaft.

As a bit of a disclaimer, I weigh about 155 pounds and tend to be fairly gentle on components. A more gravitationally enhanced person might reasonably have more trouble with this seatpost.

Steve in Peoria
Thanks for that detailed info as I didn't know there were two generations of this post. I weigh 165 lbs and usually think of myself as fairly light in the saddle, but have had AC post clamp bolts loosen up for no particular reason after hundreds of miles of being just fine. Last year, I was on a century ride, and almost exactly at mile 50, the bolt loosened. Unfortunately, the multitool I had with me wasn't quite long enough to reach the bolt head without me removing the grub screw first. That meant tightening up the bolt, but leaving the saddle at a bit of a nose up angle for the second 50 miles. I adjusted, and I've taken to putting a drop of red loctite on the bolt threads, and all has been fine since.
Old 09-15-20, 01:47 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Thanks for that detailed info as I didn't know there were two generations of this post. I weigh 165 lbs and usually think of myself as fairly light in the saddle, but have had AC post clamp bolts loosen up for no particular reason after hundreds of miles of being just fine. Last year, I was on a century ride, and almost exactly at mile 50, the bolt loosened. Unfortunately, the multitool I had with me wasn't quite long enough to reach the bolt head without me removing the grub screw first. That meant tightening up the bolt, but leaving the saddle at a bit of a nose up angle for the second 50 miles. I adjusted, and I've taken to putting a drop of red loctite on the bolt threads, and all has been fine since.
Why not blue loctite? With the red you may have a tough time removing in the future.
Old 09-15-20, 02:43 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I think this is the key... the grub screw that sets the tilt eventually displaces some aluminum in the plate that it bears against. This causes a lack of tension in the main bolt, which allows it to loosen.
I've got a few of these on my bikes, and have had this issue happen on one of them. After re-tightening it, the problem never occurred again.

The first generation seems a bit better in this respect. In the photo below, the first gen is on the left, and the 2nd gen (I believe) is on the right. The first gen has a rounded tip on the grub screw and hasn't produced any deformation in the plate that it contacts. The later generation design just has a bevel on the tip of the grub screw and this does produce some observable deformation in the aluminum plate.

The first gen is distinguished by the seat post having the head and the shaft machined out of a single piece.
The later gen bonds a separate head to the shaft.

As a bit of a disclaimer, I weigh about 155 pounds and tend to be fairly gentle on components. A more gravitationally enhanced person might reasonably have more trouble with this seatpost.

Steve in Peoria
I have a 27.2 Mountain Bike AC seat post tucked in a box somewhere. This one is longer and seems to be a little heaver. I've never used it on a mountian bike but have used it over the years on road bikes. What is the word on those, any issues?

A friend was severely injured from a snapped AC post so have always been a bit skeptical of the standard road model.
Old 09-15-20, 03:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
That's not a Laprade but a Campy SR right there ^^^^

DD
...I get them confused sometimes. Probably the fumes from the paint.
Old 09-15-20, 03:36 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Deda make a "classic" style silver seatpost that isn't too expensive, although it is quite long and you may want to cut it.

Also, some used Gipiemme seatposts can be found online that are pretty good. Mostly one bolt.

Does everyone really prefer the two-bolt stuff? I see a lot of talk about Campagnolo two bolt posts, but to be honest I always found single bolt easier to deal with.

Originally Posted by nlerner
I also like American Classic and can often be found for $30 or less. Very lightweight but somewhat prone to loosening when you least want it to, so I've taken to applying loctite to the clamp bolt.
I got a used bike (from a really skinny guy) with one of these posts. I didn't know anything about them and assumed it wasn't particularly special. But then I updated the bike with some other components and decided to weigh it out of curiosity. I couldn't believe that the AC post was the lightest of all my options. And now I know why...
Old 09-15-20, 04:14 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts

...IIRC, this is a Laprade, without any paint in the recessed facets. They also come in a sort of black anodized top version, and frequently appear in the 27.0 diameter.
Old 09-15-20, 04:24 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
If you like 2 bolt Campy with setback you will like the 2 bolt Nitto S83 with setback. About $100 but out of stock most places now.
Old 09-15-20, 04:35 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
Kalloy posts come in every size, length and configuration possible, for the lowest cost, from the world's largest producer of seatposts, bars, stems (plus Zoom suspension forks).

Seems the silver ones with zero offset are harder to find lately, so I grab every one I can find.
Strong as heck and usually a lot longer than needed.
25.6mm post shown here:

As for the lightweight or "weight-weenie" posts, it's the combination of rearward saddle offset and dynamic loading that does them in.
I'll probably never break one since my short torso has me positioning all of 145# well forward.
Old 09-15-20, 05:09 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Does everyone really prefer the two-bolt stuff? I see a lot of talk about Campagnolo two bolt posts, but to be honest I always found single bolt easier to deal with.
Don’t know about “everyone”, but I prefer two-bolt posts (1st gen VO Long Setback is a favorite) because the saddle angle can be easily and finely adjusted without disturbing anything else, quite valuable with leather saddles, at least for my “princess b**t”.

And FWIW, I never had a problem with AC posts, but haven’t used them in a while (and a pound or two) because they don’t have sufficient setback with my current frames.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 09-15-20, 06:05 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Why not blue loctite? With the red you may have a tough time removing in the future.
Yeah, I likely got my colors mixed up. I'm using the one that's not a permanent bond!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-15-20, 07:41 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Easton/DA 7210:

DASPRight by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

DASPLeft by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

DASPRear by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Suntour Superbe Pro:

620 Build Seatpost by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Suntour XC Pro:

IMG_0222 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

M900-ish XTR:

M1000LT Seat n Cluster by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 09-15-20, 09:21 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Don’t know about “everyone”, but I prefer two-bolt posts (1st gen VO Long Setback is a favorite) because the saddle angle can be easily and finely adjusted without disturbing anything else, quite valuable with leather saddles, at least for my “princess b**t”.

And FWIW, I never had a problem with AC posts, but haven’t used them in a while (and a pound or two) because they don’t have sufficient setback with my current frames.
I just bought a VO long setback post (only it was black) but man what a nice seat post and I believe they make a silver one.
Old 09-16-20, 12:14 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Am I doing something wrong? My experience is almost exclusively with modern Deda two-bolt posts, but I find that when I start to tighten them up the final turns on the rear bolt start to change the angle significantly. I take this into account, and adjust the front accordingly, but I don't find it to be a super precise method (as it seems the final angle will be determined by how tight I make the rear bolt). What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-16-20, 12:34 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Am I doing something wrong? My experience is almost exclusively with modern Deda two-bolt posts, but I find that when I start to tighten them up the final turns on the rear bolt start to change the angle significantly. I take this into account, and adjust the front accordingly, but I don't find it to be a super precise method (as it seems the final angle will be determined by how tight I make the rear bolt). What am I doing wrong?
I don't know if there's a trick or not but I've never had a problem. I do however know what you're speaking of. You just got to keep things into account. If you tighten up the back bolt and the angles changing then tighten up the front a little more. Anyways once you get them set they're set. I had a race face two bolt post like this and I could adjust the tilt by loosening one bolt a set amount of turns and tightening the other bolt the same amount of turns and you can watch the seat tilt as you did it. I will say with this velo orange long setback post though you don't seem to have that ability. It seems like I have to loosen both the front and the rear and then physically make my adjustment and then tighten them both up equally. I'm not sure what the difference is but the race face post is a joy to adjust
Likes For trail_monkey:
Old 09-16-20, 01:26 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 261 Posts
I have a Dura Ace Easton 27.2 uncut that I don't need if you're interested. I can PM you a cl link if you want

Charlie
Old 09-16-20, 02:46 PM
Dfrost 

Originally Posted by trail_monkey
I don't know if there's a trick or not but I've never had a problem. I do however know what you're speaking of. You just got to keep things into account. If you tighten up the back bolt and the angles changing then tighten up the front a little more. Anyways once you get them set they're set. I had a race face two bolt post like this and I could adjust the tilt by loosening one bolt a set amount of turns and tightening the other bolt the same amount of turns and you can watch the seat tilt as you did it. I will say with this velo orange long setback post though you don't seem to have that ability. It seems like I have to loosen both the front and the rear and then physically make my adjustment and then tighten them both up equally. I'm not sure what the difference is but the race face post is a joy to adjust
The 1st gen VO posts used one forward, one aft bolt as in photo below so tilt adjustment can be very subtle and precise, like the race face you describe. Seems like they fixed something for gen 2 that was a long way from “broken”.

Old 09-16-20, 02:53 PM
Dfrost 

The Truvativ very long setback post, in the 26.8mm needed for the Miyata, was originally a black shaft, as in this photo.

It took less than hour with fine sandpaper followed by “Simichrome” polish for this. I was careful not to extend the sanding much below the seat lug area to preserve the original clamping diameter.

Old 09-16-20, 05:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Kalloy posts come in every size, length and configuration possible, for the lowest cost, from the world's largest producer of seatposts, bars, stems (plus Zoom suspension forks).
+1. Kalloy Unos are light and have worked well for me. Cheap, too, at $25 or less.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-17-20, 04:42 AM
trail_monkey

The 1st gen VO posts used one forward, one aft bolt as in photo below so tilt adjustment can be very subtle and precise, like the race face you describe. Seems like they fixed something for gen 2 that was a long way from “broken”.

interesting. It took me a while to see the difference because mine also has one forward and one aft bolt. Without being around my bike now I can't remember. Did they invert that top piece between the first and second generations? I can't remember if mine has a smile or a frown

Last edited by trail_monkey; 09-17-20 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-17-20, 06:18 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Nitto man, Nitto. I have no idea why they are called 'crystal fellows' but whatever, they are right up there with campy or better, and they make a 2 bolt too, for purists. The S65 is fine for most people. There's even a NJS approved JDM Jaguar super tough seatpost if you're hardcore.

Kalloy Uno rocks for a low cost seatpost. They are solid and hard to beat for the price. Take the logo off with acetone.
Old 09-17-20, 02:25 PM
Dfrost 

Originally Posted by trail_monkey
interesting. It took me a while to see the difference because mine also has one forward and one aft bolt. Without being around my bike now I can't remember. Did they invert that top piece between the first and second generations? I can't remember if mine has a smile or a frown
I don’t own a Gen 2 VO post, so have to judge from their website pics and user photos. On the Gen 1, the seat clamping pieces have a convex surface on the underside, and corresponding concave (“smile”, I guess) surface at the top of the post. The fore and aft bolts create the pivoting action at this interface. Those website photos show a different and less precise angle adjustment, as described elsewhere in this thread.

Last edited by Dfrost; 09-17-20 at 06:47 PM.