Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Washing

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 08:43 PM
Anjris

Bikes: Viva cruiser 700cx25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Washing

Hi All

i just bought new Road bike. I just want to know

do i need to wash my bike daily with soapy water or just wipe down the frame?

because if i wash my bike everyday with water then water droplets and all soapy water will drip down to Chain cassette chainring. then i need to degrease And lubricate the chain again everyday which is not possible or good habit.

so how should i Wash my bike daily by considering my above point?

And how often should i lubricate the bike chain?

i live in India and dry weather and there so hot here around 40C here.

Daily i commute 15-20kms?
Old 09-24-20, 08:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
Just wipe it down. Don’t want water in the bottom bracket or hubs. Clean and lube chain as needed. Daily cleaning is not necessary unless you feel the need.

Old 09-24-20, 09:23 PM
Anjris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Just wipe it down. Don’t want water in the bottom bracket or hubs. Clean and lube chain as needed. Daily cleaning is not necessary unless you feel the need.
Ok i got you

but again if i clean my bike with water every week. Then obviously all water drip let will go to every component like hub bottom bracket chain cassette etc.

So do i need to lubricate everytime once i wash my bike.

because water will ruin the old lubricant over chain and drivetrain.

how does it work? Please help me.

if I don't lubricate the drive drivetrain and chain after every wash then there are highly chances for corrosion.
Old 09-24-20, 09:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

If you are getting water on your chain, might as well clean it, the chain rings, cogs and block with a brush and mild detergent and then re-oil the chain and spin it a bit to distribute it evenly. Be sparing with the chain oil. Too much and you will create a mess.

Old 09-24-20, 10:10 PM
Anjris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
If you are getting water on your chain, might as well clean it, the chain rings, cogs and block with a brush and mild detergent and then re-oil the chain and spin it a bit to distribute it evenly. Be sparing with the chain oil. Too much and you will create a mess.
Again you are not getting my question. I am not asking how to lubricate the chain.

I am asking if i clean my bike with water every week. Then obviously all water drip let will go to every component like hub bottom bracket chain cassette etc.

So do i need to lubricate everytime once i wash my bike.

because water will ruin the old lubricant over chain and drivetrain.

Because we can't lubricate the chain every week.
Old 09-24-20, 10:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I “get” your question and have understood it from the beginning and the answer is yes.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-24-20, 11:33 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
There is no need to wash your bike every week; wash it when it is dirty. As long as you do not get a lot of soapy water on your drivetrain, a gentle washing will not remove the lubrication form your chain. Chain lubricants are made to stand up to rain. Some are better than others, but I get about 300 miles out of my chain lube with frequent bike washings. Depending on the weather and riding conditions, I'll do a deep cleaning and lubing when necessary. Bikes are made to ride in wet conditions.

A fine, low pressure spray will not get into the hubs or other bearings, and will not wash the lube off your chain.
Old 09-25-20, 12:23 AM
Anjris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your prompt response.

Sure, I will wash my bike once it looks dirty. Rest all day i will wipe from Wet Rag.

Now Whenever you wash your bike. You said it won't spoil the chain lubricant. So how you will dry out the drivetrain and chain after washing.

Because if you try to dry to chain and drivetrain with dry rag. It will remove the necessary lubricant from the components.

So how you will dry out the drivetrain and chain after washing.

Thank you
Old 09-25-20, 12:30 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 6,468 Times in 3,200 Posts
Just shower with it each morning. Saves time, and the two of you will surely grow closer.
Old 09-25-20, 12:32 AM
Anjris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sure, I will wash my bike once it looks dirty. Rest all day i will wipe from Wet Rag.

Now Whenever you wash your bike. You said it won't spoil the chain lubricant. So how you will dry out the drivetrain and chain after washing.

Because if you try to dry to chain and drivetrain with dry rag. It will remove the necessary lubricant from the components.

Thank you
Old 09-25-20, 03:47 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,284 Times in 1,278 Posts
I never “wash” my bikes . I wipe them down with a damp rag if real dirty, otherwise I just use a soft rag and wipe the dust off. I don’t ride in the dirt often enough to get actual mud or anything on them. We don’t get that much rain in Southern California so I don’t ride in the rain. I have “washed “the tires by removing the wheels from the bike but I stay away from the hubs as much as possible. I am a bit compulsive so I constantly clean them while they are on the stand. I also floss the free wheels regularly .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 09-25-20, 04:01 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Daily use will take dust off? LOLOLOLOLOL. Buddy, you don't ride where it's dry. As in: the desert.

Dust. Is. Everywhere. Always.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 09-25-20, 05:42 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
I'm sure this is 1000% the wrong way to do it, but...I took my bike (racked to the car) through a quarter car wash after a particularly gross towpath ride where unexpected rain happened.

It worked surprisingly well!

(Of course, I lubricated the drivetrain immediately after.)
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 09-25-20, 06:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
As it was explained to me:

If you lube your chain after washing the bike, you'll have water under the rollers in the chain. The new oil won't get in there, and the water (if there's no oil already there) will rust the chain from the inside out.

You can wipe the chain and lube it first, then wash the bike. Don't squirt hard, and the water will evaporate from the outside of the chain. Or you can wash the bike, let it sit in the sun for an hour or so, and then lube the chain after it's dried.

My experience is that if I've oiled the chain, as opposed to using various "dry lubes," I can wipe the chain down, and if there's significant lube coming off, wash the bike and not have to re-lube. If the rag is almost clean, the chain almost needs more oil, so oil the chain and then wash.
Old 09-25-20, 07:35 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Don't overthink it. Wash it if you want, most do not. Wipe the chain down (with lube) every couple hundred miles of road riding or after every ride on a mountain bike.
Old 09-25-20, 07:39 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Just shower with it each morning. Saves time, and the two of you will surely grow closer.
So, that's what the hole in the seat is for.
Old 09-25-20, 08:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Wash the bike? Um, nope. For road bikes, I wipe down the frame only when the bike is up on the stand for service. Otherwise, I let the frame alone.

Keep the drivetrain clean and lubricated? Um, certainly. I do this monthly or so, but I ride (road) on clean paved surfaces, not as the OP does. If roads in India are anything like the scenes I've seen filmed in the cities and countryside in India, then I'd likely not even ride a road bike at all.

For a mountain bike, I may rinse it off if the crud has built up so thickly that it affects the exposed cable runs. This might be once a year or after a particularly cruddy ride. Of course, long stream crossings do wash off some of the crud for you.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-25-20, 09:02 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I ride at least a kilometer of gravel section everyday which is like sand and fine powder in some places. Most of my route is concrete / asphalt roads that are never cleaned and covered in fine dust. But my bike never collects dust.

Perhaps, the full fenders is doing its job quite too well and maybe the strong headwinds is blowing the dust off. Never underestimate the usefulness of a full fender I guess. Try to keep in on all year round including the dry months!!

I also have a long mudflap at the back end of my front fender. I attached it to the front fender to prevent dust, debris, and mud kicked by the front wheels from getting into the bottom bracket and the drivetrain. It really works!
Thank you for suggesting that I put fenders and mudflaps on a $4k road bike, and for presuming that you know about the climate where I live when you live in a climate that is nearly diametrically oppositional in its differences.

You be you.
Old 09-25-20, 09:25 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
My bikes never get dirty enough to require a wash with soap and water. I have gently sprayed it down with water after being caught in the rain, but in general it does not get to the point where it is required. Yep, I'm one of the ones who will wipe my bike down with detail spray after every ride, I also spray some alcohol on a rag and wipe down my drivetrain. My chains are waxed so I do not get grease funk. My bikes get ridden and you can eat off my drivetrain. I'm sitting around 5000 miles so far for the year. Not quite as high this time last year, but my bikes don't just sit and look pretty. On rainy days I'm on my smart resistance rollers and Zwift.
Old 09-25-20, 09:54 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
My background is being a team mechanic. We wash bikes...all of them, race bikes, spare bikes, every day. Wash meaning lots of suds and most likely power washers. Degreaser on the drivetrain. They pretty much look brand new every day. Obviously this has had an affect on how I see things but I just cannot understand people that never clean their bikes. I work on bikes every day that have never been cleaned...the only hosing they get is more and more chain lube. Any sane person with the slightest clue can't think this is a good thing to do, but there it is in my workstand...absolutely filthy. I don't understand how you can even ride the damn thing and not ruin your kit.

Done correctly you can wash your bike every day and not hurt it. I was my own road bike every few rides. I wash whatever mountainbike I ride after every ride. That includes degreasing the drivetrain and running the chain through a wet/sudsy sponge. It never takes more than 5 mins.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-25-20, 10:17 AM
SheriGoddart75

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Answer: **full fenders** and you'll never ever have to clean your bike again!

C'mon folks, bikes don't really get dirty unless you ride over wet surfaces. And bikes don't collect dust unless you don't use them for a week (or after a long ride in the gravel which you can easily wipe off with dry cloth). Daily use will take the dust off and full fenders takes care of the grit and mud that could get to the frame and to the drivetrain.

I do clean & lube my drivetrain at least once a month if riding daily. But I NEVER use water to clean my drivetrain. I use ATF (auto transmission fluid for cars) to clean the drivetrain and also use the same ATF to lube it. You simply need to apply ATF generously to clean and lube the drivetrain at the same time (two drops per chain roller - one each plate joint), cover the floor underneath the bike and also parts of the rear wheel with old newspaper, and then shift to the big chain ring, and finally backpedal fast for few minutes to wring off the excess ATF. As a finishing touch, you backpedal again, this time slowly while you wipe the chain with a rug to remove more of the excess ATF. After you're done, your chain will be properly lubed, working smooth again, and will look brand new!

Personally, I prefer to apply ATF in the chain right after I ride, back pedal slowly for few minutes (slowly to avoid flinging away the excess ATF) to help distribute the ATF evenly and then leave it for a few hours. After few hours, I then backpedal fast to wring away excess, and the wipe with rug. Works really well and you can do it as often as you want, after all, ATF is cheap!

I also use ATF to clean and lube the front and rear derailleurs at the same time I do the chain BUT I only have cheap bottom end Shimano Tourney Mechs. This practice many not be advisable for higher end derailleurs, especially the rear derailleur as low viscosity oil may not be good for the ball bearings used in some jockey wheels...ATF is a decent degreaser too and it will take away grease used in the bearings of these jockey wheels so be careful.
Yes, I think you are absolutely right. I completely agree with you. Good idea!
Old 09-25-20, 10:55 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Do what you need to do to get major dirt off the bike. Beyond that, avoid spraying high-pressure water/soap directly onto your bearings. You don't want to wash the grease out of your bearings! When the bike is clean, it's OK to wipe it down with a towel and add some wax/polish to make it look nice! The rest of the bike will be fairly rust-resistant: stainless steel spokes, aluminum handlebars, hubs, rims and gears. About the only component subject to rust is the chain, so be sure to dry it and relube it after cleaning it. Rusty chains will perform poorly and wear quickly; and a worn chain will wear out the rest of your drive train; so it's to your advantage to take extra care with it!
Old 09-25-20, 04:36 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Anjris

Thank you
do you have a swimming pool? Just dip it in the pool, get a blow dryer and then Lube your chain
Old 09-25-20, 05:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
if the grime is heavy, I wash it with waterless carwash. If it's not too bad, I'll wipe it down. Being already in the mode of cleaning, I'll address the moving parts with a refresher.
Old 09-25-20, 06:23 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
When on long tours, I try to keep the bikes clean. If there is no running water available, I use my water bottles as "power washers".

If water is handy in a campground, I find a throw-away cup, add a little dish detetgent, and use a sponge to go over the frames and especially the braking surfaces of the wheels and the brake pads.

My wife's derailleur-- Sometimes the weather or trail conditions require frequent cleaning. This was just from a week, about 300 miles, riding on dirt roads and trails in the rain. I didn't worry about it too much, we only had a week left to finish a 3 month tour. We had 35 days of rain during that time.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-25-20 at 06:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.