Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frames and Framebuilding (1981) Tom Kellogg, John Stinsmen, and Jim Redcay

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-20, 10:02 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts

For those who want to read the Frank Berto article in Bicycling (1976) about Jim Redcay frames: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ike-berto.html
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 09-27-20, 10:39 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I've been a huge fan of the artistry behind steel bikes for years. Love stuff like this.

Got my first real (not cheap) steel bike a few years ago. Now I've got 4 (if you count my wife's, which I do).

Pics from my steel ride today, terrible selfie, sun was too bright to see the screen. Trying to capture the Spectrum Jersey with the bike and failing.

Really digging the matching Silca pump

I made a new friend
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 09-27-20, 11:13 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Cool photos!
I always enjoy seeing a bike/jersey pairing, especially when the jersey and bike are from the same year (if even possible).

I still remember the first time I heard of Tom Kellogg and Spectrum Cycles.
I was on a 7-day tour in Vermont in 1986 and just returning to cycling after a 10-year absence..
Included in our tour group were 6 co-workers from a Philadelphia advertising agency, all riding new, stunning Spectrum cycles.
I recall one of them was the main writer/creator of the BIC Banana ads on television featuring Charles Nelson Reilly.
After hearing that story, one of their group sidled up to me and said "You won't believe the amount of money we pay him to think that way."
I didn't ask.
I didn't want to know.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 09-27-20, 02:00 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Not quite the same era unfortunately. Jersey is a Voler, just like my team put our logo on in college. It's got some mention of Spectrum Titanium also, so early 2000s. I was still super stoked to find a clean one in my size on eBay.

The bike, near as I can tell, including old correspondence from Kellogg and the original owner, was probably 85 or 86'. I was thinking 84' when I got it but I don't think that quite adds up. Probably the same type of bike your tour partners had in Vermont.
Old 09-27-20, 03:29 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Thanks for posting this. My Signature 294S is my go-to rider - 1985 model from when Redcay was in charge of the line.

Likes For due ruote:
Old 09-28-20, 04:18 PM
schind1324

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I was at the Chicago Bicycle show when the Ross Signature bikes came out and met Tom Kellogg at the booth, The track bike was a pearl white with the wheel spokes tied and soldered.