Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 09:24 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Y'all might remember a year ago when I had to debate joining a lab or moving to another desk job. Well, today proved the love-hate for lab work. The machine I work with broke (fairly common occurence) and guess who pulled the short straw to fix it.. Came out afterwards covered in mucked up carbon / oil. It's nice to not be in front of a computer all the time and the work is much more engaging, but I take a step back and look.. I know a lot of engineers who won't ever turn a screw driver or wrench in their entire professional careers and here I am, smelling like dielectric oil, looking like a coal miner. At least we got it fixed.

I don't get many pictures of what I work on due to the nature of it.. but suffice to say I looked like the average Fred after they lube their chain and go for a ride.
Old 11-23-18, 10:02 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
I noticed a Tesla support truck parked in front of one of my neighbors. He has a model S and just got a model 3. I talked with him later and asked about his Tesla. It turns out that the model 3 would not self part in his garage. So Tesla had to come to his house to reboot the the car by disconnecting the battery.

The reason for the service call was for Tesla to also demonstrate the self park in the garage feature. My neighbor has very little margin to get the model 3 into the garage - first world problems.
Old 11-26-18, 07:30 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
This doesn't need its own topic, so I'll just toss it in here..........why the eff am I sooooo damn slow on gravel when compared to the road. I use a Crockett on 32mm cx tires. It's pretty easy gravel with some technical stuff for maybe a couple miles each lap.

Best example I can give is that on the road there's a guy I can toast on demand. Drop in the flats or hills. But looking at their times on the gravel for similar stuff, it's almost like they're just chilling out cruising the same or faster on gravel.

I know for sure I'm a bit less ballsy on some gravel technical areas than some folks. I just can't imagine it making that huge a difference over longer rides where things would even out.

I almost need someone to follow me to see what I'm doing. Like blowing energy wasting it in dumb ways or something.
Old 11-26-18, 10:56 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Are you deciding you are slow on gravel based on strava segment times? Maybe the person in the example had favorable winds or a draft on the segments you are looking at? Having said that, there is some technique to being fast on gravel. The best way to learn is to ride gravel a lot, and ride it with people that are good at it. A lot has to do with choosing your line and learning to take corners fast.
Old 11-26-18, 11:22 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Overall average for similar elevation and similar routes. Like, we both had doing 40ish miles with XXXXft of elevation. I've been riding a lot more gravel lately and it is improving. Just not sure why I am more skittish about sliding out on gravel than on road.

I did 10mi of TT practice one night recently in a driving rain/wind storm. I was in aero tuck in a 20+ mph cross wind in driving rain. But can't corner fast for crap on gravel. I need more hours.

I did figure out though, I take a pretty rough section of gravel for about 1/8 to 1/4 mile that really really slows me up each lap that most everyone else skips.
Old 11-26-18, 02:02 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Just not sure why I am more skittish about sliding out on gravel than on road.

I mean.
Old 11-28-18, 07:40 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Going back to work after long time off sucks.
​​​​
Giving my 5 week notice helped make it easier today.

Also, bought two pairs of men's dress loafers, both with bits, same company, same size. One pair is too small and one is too large. How did they manage that?
Old 11-28-18, 11:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
The owner of the dealer I work for came to visit me in my work area today, can't remember the last time that happened. He got wind of me talking about retirement and at first I thought he was concerned about me and would be well-wishing and thanking me for 21 years of service, but actually he wanted to ask me to give them plenty of notice before I go, like 6 months notice! I told him it's already less than 6 months even though I'm not sure yet. Made me feel crappy. Who knows, maybe he'll give me a nice bonus check that I can buy a nice bike with.
Old 11-29-18, 09:46 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by big john
The owner of the dealer I work for came to visit me in my work area today, can't remember the last time that happened. He got wind of me talking about retirement and at first I thought he was concerned about me and would be well-wishing and thanking me for 21 years of service, but actually he wanted to ask me to give them plenty of notice before I go, like 6 months notice! I told him it's already less than 6 months even though I'm not sure yet. Made me feel crappy. Who knows, maybe he'll give me a nice bonus check that I can buy a nice bike with.
It's hard, especially when you've worked somewhere that long, but it's not your problem to worry about the boss or the company. The only person you need to look out for is you and your family. The company will be fine
Old 11-29-18, 12:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
On a bit of a home (well, apartment rental) improvement kick with the lady.

Our trundle bed in the 2nd bedroom is made of some crappy laminate boards and the wood screws and dowel just tore out of both sides of the board that supports the upper mattress. So we got some nice, hard maple cut and ripped to size, installed the ledger board and slapped it back together. New hardware and dowels too.

We swapped which side the bed and bikes go in the separate room, and I'm installing bike hooks into the studs on the wall instead of the crappy vertical rack that I had.

Our patio is generally overgrown and needs some TLC so I trimmed a bunch of branches and we need to re-pot a few things, sweep and generally tidy up. Lastly we're re-arranging the way a few framed (music) records and paintings are oriented in the living room by the piano.

Fun stuff! I'm finding myself distracted at work! Also I really look forward to home ownership where I can get further fulfillment out of some good old fashioned elbow grease and sweat-equity. I think we're about 5 years out.

Last edited by TMonk; 11-29-18 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 01:31 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Fun stuff! I'm finding myself distracted at work! Also I really look forward to home ownership where I can get further fulfillment out of some good old fashioned elbow grease and sweat-equity. I think we're about 5 years out.
Ha ha ha. I remember when I used to think like that.
Old 11-29-18, 02:22 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Flatballer
It's hard, especially when you've worked somewhere that long, but it's not your problem to worry about the boss or the company. The only person you need to look out for is you and your family. The company will be fine
Did I give the impression that I am worried about them? Screw them. I was a little surprised that after learning of a 20 year employee leaving his concern was getting enough notice to find a replacement. Like I said, he might yet do something nice for me but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-29-18, 03:46 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Did I give the impression that I am worried about them? Screw them. I was a little surprised that after learning of a 20 year employee leaving his concern was getting enough notice to find a replacement. Like I said, he might yet do something nice for me but I'm not holding my breath.
Sorry, I must've misunderstood. Maybe you'll get a cake? Or a gift card? Hell, maybe even both.

Edit : Going back and re-reading it I think you probably edited it to make your feelings clearer after I read it but before I quoted it I guess. Much clearer now, lol. Or I'm too busy and skimmed it poorly.
Old 11-29-18, 04:11 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Sorry, I must've misunderstood. Maybe you'll get a cake? Or a gift card? Hell, maybe even both.

Edit : Going back and re-reading it I think you probably edited it to make your feelings clearer after I read it but before I quoted it I guess. Much clearer now, lol. Or I'm too busy and skimmed it poorly.
I like cake.
Old 11-29-18, 05:47 PM
cmh

It is a bummer to be undervalued by your employer. But I hope you are looking forward to more riding once you retire.
Old 11-29-18, 10:48 PM
big john

Originally Posted by cmh
It is a bummer to be undervalued by your employer. But I hope you are looking forward to more riding once you retire.
I sure hope to do more riding. I used to do at least 10 hours per week which kept me ready for about any ride that came up. The last couple years that has dropped off and my riding has suffered. I suck more than I used to.
Old 11-30-18, 03:39 PM
cmh

I sure hope to do more riding. I used to do at least 10 hours per week which kept me ready for about any ride that came up. The last couple years that has dropped off and my riding has suffered. I suck more than I used to.
Being a masters racer, I guess a permanent item on my list of annual goals is to 'not suck more than I used to'. A tough goal, that one.
Old 11-30-18, 03:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
Being a masters racer, I guess a permanent item on my list of annual goals is to 'not suck more than I used to'. A tough goal, that one.
Preach, brother.
Old 11-30-18, 06:00 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk

I helped the parents tear out a bathroom when I was home for Thanksgiving. Never once when I was younger did I think I'd enjoy home improvement. But I'll say, it wasn't too bad of a time!
Old 12-01-18, 09:23 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Got the final okay from the cardiologist after my last stress test and EKG. He feels confident now that the issue (Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome resulting in episodes of supraventricular tachycardia...I think I got that right) has been resolved. My wife was adamant about me not riding until he said so, even though he said after the ablation in October I was free and clear to do whatever and he wasn't worried about strenuous exercise.

But anyway, other than 3 short rides to go get my car, I haven't ridden since the last week of August. And I really don't want to that much. Once I broke the "habit", I filled my time with a lot of other things I haven't focused as much on, notably my job.

I still want to race, but I need to jump on the bike and actually get back into the groove of training, and the first step is the hardest I guess. Just not that anxious to do so, especially with rainy or cold weather seemingly every day.

Maybe I'll just hop on zwift and do one of their training plans and some "races" for a few weeks to get things going, especially since my CTL is about 5 and my ftp is probably a solid 100 watts lower than it was a few months ago. Could be a good little structural/motivational boost.
Old 12-01-18, 10:24 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I helped the parents tear out a bathroom when I was home for Thanksgiving. Never once when I was younger did I think I'd enjoy home improvement. But I'll say, it wasn't too bad of a time!
Nice. I've never done tile or bathroom work, but I'm sure I will at some point.

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Got the final okay from the cardiologist after my last stress test and EKG. He feels confident now that the issue (Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome resulting in episodes of supraventricular tachycardia...I think I got that right) has been resolved. My wife was adamant about me not riding until he said so, even though he said after the ablation in October I was free and clear to do whatever and he wasn't worried about strenuous exercise.

But anyway, other than 3 short rides to go get my car, I haven't ridden since the last week of August. And I really don't want to that much. Once I broke the "habit", I filled my time with a lot of other things I haven't focused as much on, notably my job.

I still want to race, but I need to jump on the bike and actually get back into the groove of training, and the first step is the hardest I guess. Just not that anxious to do so, especially with rainy or cold weather seemingly every day.

Maybe I'll just hop on zwift and do one of their training plans and some "races" for a few weeks to get things going, especially since my CTL is about 5 and my ftp is probably a solid 100 watts lower than it was a few months ago. Could be a good little structural/motivational boost.
Well, once you do choose to get back in the groove, it will be fun getting strong really quickly again for a while at least.
Old 12-01-18, 10:56 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts

Good luck getting it back, coming back from a layoff isn't always easy but its just a hobby. Usually you need a breakthrough ride in both performance and fun then it comes back.

Heart stuff is scary, I had an issue after my Ironman where I got bad chest pains for months (and still do). Luckily for me its just chest wall related.
Old 12-01-18, 11:11 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts

This is how masters racers are created.
Old 12-02-18, 06:09 PM
big john

R.I.P. Paul Sherwin.
Old 12-02-18, 07:24 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
R.I.P. Paul Sherwin.
wait what?!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.