Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sidi Wire 2 vs Genius 10

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sidi Wire 2 vs Genius 10

Old 07-10-20, 09:21 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
Sidi Wire 2 vs Genius 10

1st question:
My son's 12 year old Genius ? are on their last legs with the bottoms falling off. He's narrowed the new Sidi models down to Wire 2 Carbon or Genius 10. Any thoughts, preferences? He's waffling back and forth. He's OK with the ~$300 prices.

2nd question:
Good online source for the Wire 2's? The website bikeinn.com has the best price, but seems a little sketchy, with poor reviews and no brick and mortar store. And btw, I overheard him call maybe 10 stores yesterday within 20-30 miles or so trying to find them in stock somewhere, so we would like to support an LBS. I would have thought more stores carried Sidi, and would offer to order them if not in stock.

As it turns out, lots of good places online to find the Genius 10 at a discounted price, $299. Not so with the Wire 2's, at least not in white, which is a requirement.
Old 07-11-20, 06:11 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Can’t talk to which model to pick but Merlin has good prices. Though they changed their free shipping limit lately so you may have to add shipping to their prices.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 07-11-20, 06:42 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
I just got a pair of Genius 10 (from Merlin) to replace a 20 year old pair of Energy 2's. Very happy with the shoes, they seem to have just a bit of extra forefoot room compared to the Energy's.

Can't speak to the other shoe you are considering, but the fit should be similar - differences appear to be a carbon sole and more buckles. Very much recommend Merlin, I had to pay for shipping but it was worth it as I had the shoes in 3 days, which beats most US-based free shipping.
Likes For mprince:
Old 07-11-20, 06:55 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Sometimes Competitive Cyclist has sales on Sidi.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/?...AP1A&gclsrc=ds
Old 07-13-20, 10:29 AM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

thx for the pointer to Merlin. Those prices are indeed impressive. His size is out-of-stock in various Sidi models, but when they restock, that is the place to buy. My son noticed the extra room in the 10's also. Could have bought them at the LBS for $499 (although they didn't stock white), but that price is so far above my threshold of pain, it is like a fantasy. Jeez, you could get a helluva decent 2nd-hand steel bike for that.

I've bought Brooks saddles on sale at Chain Reaction and another English online shop, paid the shipping, and still came out ahead of US prices.

Originally Posted by mprince
I just got a pair of Genius 10 (from Merlin) to replace a 20 year old pair of Energy 2's. Very happy with the shoes, they seem to have just a bit of extra forefoot room compared to the Energy's.

Can't speak to the other shoe you are considering, but the fit should be similar - differences appear to be a carbon sole and more buckles. Very much recommend Merlin, I had to pay for shipping but it was worth it as I had the shoes in 3 days, which beats most US-based free shipping.
Old 07-19-20, 01:51 PM
sunburst

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Can’t talk to which model to pick but Merlin has good prices. Though they changed their free shipping limit lately so you may have to add shipping to their prices.
He got the Sidi Ergo 5 in white for $211, plus $26 shipping. US stores are selling for full list at $399, although I've seen discounted black ones.
Thx for the pointer guys!
Likes For sunburst: