Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

fantasy classics/major one-day races + general one-day races discussion

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

fantasy classics/major one-day races + general one-day races discussion

Old 09-26-20, 06:09 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Swapped out Bennett for Hirsche, Hirsche has my nudge ftw.
Old 09-27-20, 03:16 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
aaand the streak continues. so much for lutsenko with the positive c-19 test. too late to swap him out on velogames.com. it was the best of times...

Last edited by diphthong; 09-27-20 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-27-20, 03:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

so much great racing coming up in the next month and a half. i will be burning up this thread and the corresponding giro and vuelta threads.
if someone misses a one-day/classic race or two, i get it. miss the giro or vuelta? excommunication. you have been summoned...er...warned.
*frantically brushing away the gigante, chalk-lined pentagram and blowing out a variety of corresponding perimeter candles in the living room.*
Old 09-27-20, 05:48 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
so much great racing coming up in the next month and a half. i will be burning up this thread and the corresponding giro and vuelta threads.
if someone misses a one-day/classic race or two, i get it. miss the giro or vuelta? excommunication. you have been summoned...er...warned.
*frantically brushing away the gigante, chalk-lined pentagram and blowing out a variety of corresponding perimeter candles in the living room.*
Recently in my FB stream there was an eerie circle of snails on a garden table with the great humungous snail in the middle. I looked, can't find it, wish I had saved it. It would have been perfect for the (s)pokes and your mysticism.

Did anyone in the league feel a sharp jabbing pain?

Waits. Sticks another pin in the doll...

What about now?
Old 09-27-20, 06:08 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by slcbob
Recently in my FB stream there was an eerie circle of snails on a garden table with the great humungous snail in the middle. I looked, can't find it, wish I had saved it. It would have been perfect for the (s)pokes and your mysticism.

Did anyone in the league feel a sharp jabbing pain?

Waits. Sticks another pin in the doll...

What about now?
can i pick 'em?' lutsenko? haha.

ouch. *shudders* i'll throw on van the man and astral weeks if i have to. done it before a few hundred times and i'll do it again (rip walter becker) if necessary.
Old 09-27-20, 06:19 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

would love to see some relative unknown/discounted domestique take the worlds. it is 2020 after all.
Old 09-27-20, 08:43 AM
GrainBrain

Chose the wrong Frenchman! Can't wait to see the highlights. I wondered about fuglsang.
Old 09-27-20, 12:50 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

congrats to MTBrider for having all three podium finishers on the worlds squad. chapeau!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-27-20, 02:12 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Chapeau, mountain man.

Only a 1202 point gap for me to close to shed the maglia nera. Totally doable. I believe.

Let me get this straight, now. In another thread we were worried about things being a little too fiddly with day to day changes. But here we are on this relentless SuperClassico treadmill marching up and down through wholesale team changes for entirely new races almost every Wed & Sun through Halloween? Right, then, off we go.

Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-27-20, 03:49 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
congrats to MTBrider for having all three podium finishers on the worlds squad. chapeau!
Thanks all! I guess I picked right for once. LOL!
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 09-27-20, 03:49 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

We've found where the soigneurs for the slow (s)pokes clean up the team kit. Expect it to be closed for public use on Tuesday as well so they sparkle for Fleche Wallone on Wed.

Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-28-20, 03:48 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^don't forget to bring your favorite familiar along...personally prefer echidnas or javelinas but i'm told hedgehogs are all the rage these daze...

Last edited by diphthong; 09-28-20 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-28-20, 04:00 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Thanks all! I guess I picked right for once. LOL!

"impressive...most impressive."
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-28-20, 04:30 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

ooga-booga and the Stig have taught you well, 2cam16 . Now, Rob, release your anger. Feel it flow through you in la Fleche Wallone. Pay no attention to the carcasses of small furry animals littering the area or the late 60s / 70s sound track. Only then can you fully embrace the power.

Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-28-20, 05:53 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Chapeau, mountain man.

Only a 1202 point gap for me to close to shed the maglia nera. Totally doable. I believe.

Let me get this straight, now. In another thread we were worried about things being a little too fiddly with day to day changes. But here we are on this relentless SuperClassico treadmill marching up and down through wholesale team changes for entirely new races almost every Wed & Sun through Halloween? Right, then, off we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pmiiBUF71I
some games/threads work for a select few. some work for a select few + 2. it's all about inclusion on different levels.
bleep, pleased as punch to have the rebel alliance in whatever rag-tag, underdog form they morph the cat into. things
are a little different without the coachella stylings of fanboys/fangirls of a certain, american, seven-time, persona non-grata
winner of a little three-week race in france in july. some people like to fiddle about fiddle about fiddle about and some people
like to play without distractions can't hear no buzzers and bells. always playing clean. there has to be a twist.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-28-20 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-28-20, 06:55 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
ooga-booga and the Stig have taught you well, 2cam16 . Now, Rob, release your anger. Feel it flow through you in la Fleche Wallone. Pay no attention to the carcasses of small furry animals littering the area or the late 60s / 70s sound track. Only then can you fully embrace the power.

LOL! That's if I even remember to enter my team. I already missed one or two races.
Old 09-28-20, 08:12 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

some games/threads work for a select few. some work for a select few + 2. it's all about inclusion on different levels.
bleep, pleased as punch to have the rebel alliance in whatever rag-tag, underdog form they morph the cat into. things
are a little different without the coachella stylings of fanboys/fangirls of a certain, american, seven-time, persona non-grata
winner of a little three-week race in france in july. some people like to fiddle about fiddle about fiddle about and some people
like to play without distractions can't hear no buzzers and bells. always playing clean. there has to be a twist.
Yes. Vive la difference.

I can understand how a certain sect is no longer living strong around here, which some rue and some relish. I can also understand how some may be similarly divided to tolerate or hate the musings of various raconteurs and aficionados of cycling and of untold popular culture semi- but mostly non-sequiturs.

Speaking of which, you can't unhear this once Pandora's Cash Box has been opened:

Originally Posted by 2cam16
LOL! That's if I even remember to enter my team. I already missed one or two races.
Enter or enter not. There is no remember. And that is why some fail. At least I hope some do, because I'm late to the party again and pedaling along with the broom wagon giving me a push. I'll have to suffer for a while alone before I even catch up to Aru.

All that said, I'll have to try to remember to do something Tuesday night and hope that you all enjoy a nice long natural break after an exciting world championships.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-28-20, 04:24 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Yes. Vive la difference.

I can understand how a certain sect is no longer living strong around here, which some rue and some relish. I can also understand how some may be similarly divided to tolerate or hate the musings of various raconteurs and aficionados of cycling and of untold popular culture semi- but mostly non-sequiturs.

Speaking of which, you can't unhear this once Pandora's Cash Box has been opened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfPwtUTP4k

Enter or enter not. There is no remember. And that is why some fail. At least I hope some do, because I'm late to the party again and pedaling along with the broom wagon giving me a push. I'll have to suffer for a while alone before I even catch up to Aru.

All that said, I'll have to try to remember to do something Tuesday night and hope that you all enjoy a nice long natural break after an exciting world championships.
i think i just scarred my retinas watching that. for the first time, i'm pleased to have had a permanent shift in hearing.
Old 09-28-20, 05:34 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Everyone remember how good Ahlaphilippe is riding. You'd be silly not to pick him in la Fleche.
Old 09-28-20, 05:49 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

the superclassico game is now open to chose your la fleche wallonne entries. race is on the 30th so i'd shoot for
double checking your rosters late on the 29th or crack of dawn on the 30th for you procrastinators.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-29-20, 07:27 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

and velogames.com just posted a game within the game-fantasy classics squad-where you pick 12 riders for 9 races (la flèche wallonne > paris-roubais)and have the ability to make a maximum 20 transfers total during the entire 9 race schedule. if you didn’t feel like running a marathon with the superclassico game and prefer running shorter distances, this might work for you. ends up essentially being a nine-stage monthlong tour.

not as committed as the superclassico game but it contains the meat of the reschedded one-days and classics for 2020. have at it. obviously, some definite overlap with the superclassico game but what the hey. if you registered for the superclassico or gbbg tour de france game, you should be included in the bike forums league. if not, here’s the info:

https://www.velogames.com/

league name: bike forums

league code: 907776411
Old 09-29-20, 01:14 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ Just when I was on the brink of almost getting ready to think about beginning to get caught up with a few things. Thanks.

Surprised that the board won't let me pick anyone that's not riding Fleche Wallonne. Maybe it's a hiccup. Or maybe we're not allowed to think 17 moves ahead which is what I was contemplating. If so, that's OK, it returns some time I'd never get back and would probably regret anyway.

It's the small things, you know. All of them.

Old 09-29-20, 03:02 PM
GrainBrain

Everyone remember how good Ahlaphilippe is riding. You'd be silly not to pick him in la Fleche.
These mystic messages on here have not yet confused me so that I would be fooled by this diversion tactic! Apparently he's now going to target liege-baston-liege after crushing it at worlds?

Of course I have once again gone with my favorite Columbian, Mr. Rigo. Was good to watch him animate the worlds for a bit. I also threw in a Vanendert. Anyone have better recommendations for a 4 point rider other then my choice of zimmerman?
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 09-29-20, 04:49 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
These mystic messages on here have not yet confused me so that I would be fooled by this diversion tactic! Apparently he's now going to target liege-baston-liege after crushing it at worlds?

Of course I have once again gone with my favorite Columbian, Mr. Rigo. Was good to watch him animate the worlds for a bit. I also threw in a Vanendert. Anyone have better recommendations for a 4 point rider other then my choice of zimmerman?
I'm shocked, shocked at the implication there is diversion in this establishment! But I do wish to thank you for pointing out the entirely surprising exception to Juju's race programme so I could update my roster.

I'm a fan a Rigo and Plan Colombia in general. I shall have to re-watch worlds. I must have blinked and missed the part where he animated it. But in all sincerity, what a fantastic showing from that country. And Slovenia! For God's sake. Outnumbering USA by an order of magnitude in the Worlds.

I do love me some USA achievement in the bizarro sports I follow, such as rugby and, to a lesser degree, Moto GP and Dakar. It's a bit patriotic and a bit "well, it's about time!" to celebrate a strong showing by a native son or daughter (my, the ladies represent well, don't they?). Interesting to me how we're present and accounted for in sevens but not in Rugby Union; honestly, who tracks Rugby League? Great to see USA rider on a Honda finally break the KTM dominance, even if they had to go to Saudi to do it. But I just LOVE to see stuff like the Belgian craze for cycling and the lads from Skibbereen that enthuse a whole country. Here's to oddities. Here's to underdogs. Here's to Rigo!! But not in this la Fleche, God damn it.
Old 09-29-20, 11:01 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

^ Just when I was on the brink of almost getting ready to think about beginning to get caught up with a few things. Thanks.

Surprised that the board won't let me pick anyone that's not riding Fleche Wallonne. Maybe it's a hiccup. Or maybe we're not allowed to think 17 moves ahead which is what I was contemplating. If so, that's OK, it returns some time I'd never get back and would probably regret anyway.

It's the small things, you know. All of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZoyCSffM7I
wouldn't commit to any honeydew projects until the second week of november when the vuelta ends. october is an absolute check your pages/teams everyday reality. too much good stuff shoehorned in.
Likes For diphthong:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.