Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C & V Computers

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

C & V Computers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 03:37 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
C & V Computers

Classic or not so classic computers anyone?
My list:
1. A Commodore Vic 20 (sold years ago).
2. A Timex/Sinclair 1000 with a 16k expansion card (my wife tossed the 16k card, not knowing what it was).
3. A Compaq portable. It looked like a sewing machine in its case and cost nearly 2 grand at the time. It had 16k memory which I upgraded to 64k. I added a real time clock card, a Hard Card disk drive, and replaced one of the 5 1/4 floppys with a 3 1/2. I probably had 3 grand in it before I was done. I was using all of the old interesting software before Microsoft took over the market.
Old 08-31-20, 03:43 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Check this guy out

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...184679960.html
Old 08-31-20, 04:28 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I can only contribute a Cateye Mighty 2 that still mostly works.

I am terrible with computers.
Old 08-31-20, 04:44 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I just set up a Dell Optiplex with Pentium I and Win98 for work in a research lab. We had an old Varian Cary 50 UV-vis spectrophotometer that would only interface via proprietary ISA card, and has proprietary drivers that are probably not compatible with newer versions of Windows.

Debugging was funny. The thing mostly worked right after install, but two of the proprietary software apps would freeze the whole system on launch. It turned out that they needed at least 800x600 graphics, and I was stuck in 640x480 using a universal graphics driver. I found a proper graphics driver for the video card (had to download on one computer, burn CD on a second computer, and then put the CD into the old Dell) and installed it, increased the resolution to a whopping 1024x768, and hey presto it worked!

Apparently you can get modern motherboards with ISA slots, manufactured mainly for the defense and science markets, because they use a lot of legacy hardware. Unfortunately, biological science budgets have been slashed due to covid-19 unless you're working on a project that is absolutely related (robbing peter to pay the piper or some other unattractive mix of metaphors) which is why I'm stuck with this old system. On the plus side, I found it kind of fun.
Old 08-31-20, 05:42 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My buddy started out on a Radio Shack TRS-80, then on to an Atari 400, then Atari 800... Before getting his first 8088-chip (1st gen IBM PC-clone) computer. I remember the cassette tape drive on the A-400 took almost a half hour to load a basic program (no hard drives in those days), and then you had to hope it loaded correctly with no errors....

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 08-31-20 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 06:20 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
I ditched a lot of stuff including an Apple II in the box. Crap. I kept a working Colour Classic with a 20 Mb external drive, Kensington Turbo Mouse, Zip drive and a Stylewriter 2500. Network card too.
It's an objet d'art, imo.

Likes For clubman:
Old 08-31-20, 06:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My first was a Commodore 64, while in college in the early 1980s. Not a bad computer, but the power supplies were often junk. Commodore had a bad batch that failed, passed unregulated voltage and fried the computers. They replaced mine under warranty twice but refused after that, and Commodore soon went bankrupt.

After that:
Tandy Model 100 and 102 (I still have the 102 and some accessories). Handy for journalists back then.
Franklin clone of an Apple, a hybrid between the Apple II and II+. I used that through most of college after the C-64 failures.
An early Kaypro desktop PC clone that wasn't bad at all.
A bunch of early Macs, from the SE through some early Power Macs.

The Color Classic was my favorite. That beautiful little Sony aperture grille CRT. A charming little bit of industrial art, like my old iPhone 4s. I added every available upgrade and managed to keep it useful even for web browsing until around 2004. Kinda wish I'd kept it but I finally donated the Color Classic to some thrift store where I probably languished until being dumped.

I finally settled on generic PCs by around 2000, mostly because an uncle gave me some excellent photo editing software and it made better economic sense to switch hardware than buy the same stuff for Mac.

But if money was no object I'd be using Macs and iPhones, mostly because I appreciate the thought that goes into the design. But with my budget, pragmatism rules. I was on the verge of buying the iPhone SE 2020 recently but got the Motorola G Power instead. Hard to argue with the value and extended runtime per charge of the Motorola, even if it ain't sexy.

My iPhone 4s hardly holds a charge for a full day anymore but I'm keeping it as a relic of a sort of milestone in industrial engineering.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-31-20, 06:35 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Does this qualify?

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 MC-10. It was only slightly more powerful than the Ray Subtracto-Adder.

I've got one still in the plastic wrap somewhere. I found it at a yard sale about 20 years ago, and it seemed like a cool bit of memorabilia, but I also have the one I got for Christmas in the mid 80's.
Old 09-01-20, 01:28 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Does this qualify?

My first computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 MC-10. It was only slightly more powerful than the Ray Subtracto-Adder.

I've got one still in the plastic wrap somewhere. I found it at a yard sale about 20 years ago, and it seemed like a cool bit of memorabilia, but I also have the one I got for Christmas in the mid 80's.
My late father-in-law built a computer based on the S-100 bus. Input as I recall was by a bank of toggle switches, probably 4 bit or 8 bit. Zilog was just down the road a couple of miles. That company drove the integration of processors into many products.
Old 09-01-20, 01:46 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
boy, I didn't buy a computer till the late 80's when I got a 486 machine.
Before that, I just used my programmable calculators... a TI-58, which was replaced with a HP-15C.
Still, the hardware of that era is kinda fun! As an electrical engineer, I've always been intrigued with core memory. This was the original non-volatile random access memory and it stored bits on little donuts of magnetic material. Magnetize the donut in one direction and it's a 1. Magnetize it in the other direction and it's a 0.

I know it was used for quite a while in aviation, since it could maintain the data when power dropped out (there was a standard requirement for military avionics to stay functional during power losses of up to 24ms or thereabouts).
Anyway... I was touring the USS Midway museum last year, and they had a display of core memory! It was part of the ship's Univac computer. A nice little display for the electronics nerds in the audience.
The amazing thing about core memory is just how tiny those donuts were, as well as how thin and fragile the wire was that was used to read and write the cores.

"1st generation core memory, 1960"

and a shot of the core memory board as viewed through the magnifying glass that was provided.....

Pretty amazing stuff, although no doubt expensive.
Hopefully it helps people appreciate just how far electronics and in particular, memory technology, has advanced in the 60 years since. (why do I suddenly feel old??)

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-01-20, 04:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,536 Posts
I once worked with an IBM sysadmin who modded and Amiga to act as a 3270 console.

lots of mainframe time and cobol dumps for me.

Despite using cards on my first job for JCL (job contrl language) for submitting runs on the mainframe I was totally surprised on my second job when the gave me a program in a whole box of cards (burroughs mainframe....because I worked for a bank and burroughs made the best check sorters)

In the Coast guard I booted a PDP 8 or 9 in octal vis buttons before loading a job on a paper tape.
Same coast guard gig, (oceanographic research technician on a research ship) I put tape marks on tape using little silver stick labels

and go go back further..... I could do complex chemistry cals faster with a slide rule than the guy who bought the calculator could. that went out the door when the math teacher got an HP45

so classic and vintage in calculation also still have 2 slide rules

Old 09-01-20, 07:21 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Despite using cards on my first job for JCL (job contrl language) for submitting runs on the mainframe I was totally surprised on my second job when the gave me a program in a whole box of cards (burroughs mainframe....because I worked for a bank and burroughs made the best check sorters)
good heavens.... I haven't heard the term "job control language" since.... well, probably since I took a Pascal class in 1982(?) where we had to type punch cards to use for batch execution.
I think punch cards might be the equivalent of nail-on shoe cleats in the cycling world... kinda neat and interesting, but a big pain to actually deal with.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-01-20, 07:57 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I have one of these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sliderule.jpg (50.2 KB, 209 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-01-20, 08:38 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
1969: Used BASIC in math courses in college on teletypes to a campus-wide time-sharing system to a mainframe that, I think, ran on tape, and had the memory potential that could be on the order of a stack of floppy disks.

1976: In architecture school, used FORTRAN, writing programs to IBM cards (hanging chads and all) handed over a counter to "responsible" staff that fed them into the black box somewhere.

1986: Began using an architectural CAD program (Autotrol) on a Mini-VAX system, running some version of UNiX. Staff, including me, wrote routines to fill in the holes in CAD software; it was very "extensible" and reasonably accessible.

1988: Architectural office got Macintosh SE30s, distributed around the place for doing correspondence and such. CAD moved to a set of Sun workstations running BSD UNiX. Around this time, I got (used or refurbished) our first personal home computer, an Amiga (Commodore product, which the office was using for presentation graphics), that booted from a 3.5" floppy disk (gronk, gronk, gronk) and we soon were doing email and bulletin board stuff online, also through a Unix-based internet provider -- text interface only. But the OS and monitor were in color! Then the kids discovered computer games, and the battle for computer use was on.

1993-94: Parents bought us a Macintosh Quadra 605 and monitor for Xmas. I think it had a 20 Mb hard drive; what a gas!

1994: I went to an office that was doing its first project on CAD. I organized getting AutoCAD for Macintosh (System 7 then), and had 5 or so Quadra 840 AVs with a peer-to-peer "Appletalk" network over plain old phone wiring. It worked great, for that many computers, having each job on a different workstation, but accessible from anywhere in the office.

Eventually I migrated to using Windows computers for CAD in offices, probably Windows 95 and AutoCAD r14, generally on Dell workstations. Tolerated, but not enjoyed very much throughout the years -- though Windows 7 and then 10 have been much more tolerable.

1999 or 2000: bought our 2 kids each an iMac G3 (the translucent-colorful extraterrestrial looking thing) with matching keyboards and mice. They were over the moon. We still have one of them in the house. We got a refurb Mac 840AV, I think, at the same time, with a larger color monitor.

2004 or so: our family got MacBooks, the plastic ones for the kids, and an aluminum one shared between me and my spouse.
Now, everyone is on about their 3rd MacBook, I guess. But the wonder of it all is sort of gone, and we're nostalgic for the simplicity of earlier systems.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 09-01-20 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 08:43 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 976 Posts
First system I used was a Univac 1108 at SUNY Albany starting around 1972-3. Learned Basic, Fortran and a smattering of Cobol. Played around with a PDP-8 in college, briefly. Can't remember a thing about it. Rand some Uni*x-based typesetting and composition systems in the 80s, had one of the Timex/Sinclairs mentioned earlier followed by the original 128k Macintosh. Since then there's been a flow of Apples, Windows machines, PDAs, Palm devices, Blackberries, a Compaq Pocket PC, iOS devices, a few Linux installs...I don't keep old PCs but I do have a small assortment of the handhelds since they don't take up much room and the young people of today are shocked by them.

EDIT: ...and I'm pretty sure I have a working Avocet 20.

Last edited by ascherer; 09-01-20 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-01-20, 08:59 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
One friend sold TRS-80's when he managed a Radio Shack store. Another friend got his start building a Heathkit 8088 computer- he's worked with airline reservations systems (with their unique operating system) for 35 years.

Portland's Powell's Books has a collection of antediluvian computers. I hope the collection survives the economic challenges of the pandemic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jefurii/2150123039

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-01-20, 09:53 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
I have a MAC from 83-84 in the cushioned case out in my garage...I will pull it out in the A.M. and post tomorrow.
Have a good evening, Ben

Pretty old.
Old 09-02-20, 02:36 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Here's a souvenir I've kept from my first full year being paid to develop software.

It's not punch card programming, but it lets me show most of my co-workers just how truly old I really am. The crude dot-matrix printed label is the way it came from Microsoft. I'm responsible for the tear. My first professional programming gig was porting my company's flagship product from OS/2 to Windows 3.0. They entrusted this job to the rookie because they were certain that OS/2 was the future and Windows probably wouldn't take off. They're not in business anymore.

@steelbikeguy mentioned HP calculators. I had an HP 20S in college. In theory, I still have it, but it's at the office and I haven't been there in six months and may not be for another year. One of my worst experiences with technology was the day I forgot to bring my calculator to a calculus test. A friend finished early and gave me his HP something or other to finish the test. It was one of the models that used RPN, and I had never been exposed to that hellish input method before. It took about three minutes to decide I could work out the arithmetic faster by hand.
Old 09-02-20, 03:18 AM
paulkal

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Around 1982 I bought a Commodore 64, later got a second hand Compaq Portable III, with 640 ram and the big harddrive, 40 mb. Sold the Commodore. Still have the Compaq and about 15 years ago I bought another C64. Have to et the Compaq to see if it still working.
At universoty I used a several HP calculators (11c, 41c and 28s) and a Sharp pocket computer, a PC1475, still have these and they are still working.
For my work I use a modern laptop.
Old 09-02-20, 05:51 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
First system I used was a Univac 1108 at SUNY Albany starting around 1972-3. Learned Basic, Fortran and a smattering of Cobol.
About 5 years before that my mother decided it would be a good idea for me to "learn computers" so signed me up for a summer course out at the Latham, NY shopping center. I learned Assembler via punched cards and piles of printouts on shades of green striped 18" wide paper. I don't know where the computers were but I wonder if they were those at SUNY?

By 1972-3 I was learning Fortran. Compared to Assembler, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. A valuable lesson as SW evolved through increasing stages of abstraction over the decades. "Abstraction,yeah, I got that." BTDT.
Old 09-02-20, 06:04 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I started out with a C64 and a tape drive. I remember starting to load a game, then going to have supper and it'd be ready to play when we were finished eating.

C128 after that.

Atari ST next.

IBM XT

IBM AT

Early windows rig.

...then a successive lineup of PCs and OS's until my current PC.

I learned Apple Macs for work, but had none in my personal stable.
Old 09-02-20, 06:44 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,922 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
About 5 years before that my mother decided it would be a good idea for me to "learn computers" so signed me up for a summer course out at the Latham, NY shopping center. I learned Assembler via punched cards and piles of printouts on shades of green striped 18" wide paper. I don't know where the computers were but I wonder if they were those at SUNY?

By 1972-3 I was learning Fortran. Compared to Assembler, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. A valuable lesson as SW evolved through increasing stages of abstraction over the decades. "Abstraction,yeah, I got that." BTDT.
Really, in Latham? I wonder where? I went to the Milne School which was part of SUNY, that's why we had access. Some of the other regional high schools had accounts too. RPI had an IBM 360, I used to swap messages (really just small Basic programs dropped in each other's directory spaces) with one of the WRPI DJs. Even though we used the compliers remotely over dial-up teletypes I did my share of batch jobs via card decks and green-bar printouts.

Old 09-02-20, 07:14 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I have a Silicon Graphics "Indy" in my basement. It runs Silicon Graphics' "Irix" Unix operating system, and has a special implementation of Windows 3.1 that runs on Irix rather than MS-DOS.
Old 09-02-20, 08:30 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
My first real computer was a donated (read: thrown out) Mac of some sort- I think it was a little Quadra thing.

A guy I knew rehabbed PCs- he would get these big donations of computers- and he'd cannibalize and build them all. He didn't touch the Mac stuff- so he just gave it to me.

One of the things he gave me was a 5+ year old Power PC 8100/100, that was my computer for several years. I spent a fortune upgrading the RAM, but stuff changed fast back then and that thing couldn't keep up no matter how much I tried to goose it up. Ended up with a Pentium II box running W95, then a couple of Dell something or others.

Eventually picked up a MacBookPro that lasted for a good 10 years. I'm on my 2nd MBP.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 09-02-20, 08:34 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
3. A Compaq portable. It looked like a sewing machine in its case and cost nearly 2 grand at the time. It had 16k memory which I upgraded to 64k. I added a real time clock card, a Hard Card disk drive, and replaced one of the 5 1/4 floppys with a 3 1/2. I probably had 3 grand in it before I was done. I was using all of the old interesting software before Microsoft took over the market.
We had 2 of those at work. They sat in a store room- no one wanted to take responsibility for throwing them out because they were so expensive back in the day, but were TOTALLY obsolete before the turn of the century.

I remember that padded brown pizza bag and the cover/keyboard thingy. I don't think I ever booted either of them up.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.