Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bizarre seat stays on bike - they are detached!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-20, 09:59 AM
cumulo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, I recently found a folding bike in a barn that I hope to bring back to life. I don't know what make it is as someone debadged it and part sanded it, and then obviously gave up. It seems to be a normal Raleigh Twenty/shopper type of bike that was a vintage late 70s/80s maroon colour and has 20" wheels.

Here is where it gets weird. I have never come across a bicycle where the rear seat stays are completely detached from the seat post. They are not broken. They were never brazed or welded in the first place. They have a bracket and holes where something, presumably a bolt, goes to join it all up. What on earth were the manufacturer thinking? Why make an unecessary weak/stress point point that doesn't help the bike fold or save on weight in any way?

Can anyone shed any light on this phenomena, and what can I do to fix it? Can I just find a bolt that fits and push everything together and tighten everything up with threadlock, or is there a special bracket that must be fitted?

Please take a look and have a guess,

Bog standard seat post - weird detached seat stays.

Different angle.
or maybe I'll strike lucky and find someone that has dealt with this before.
I
Old 09-21-20, 10:52 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Going by the 'tab' in the seatstay hole, I'd say it was designed to use a seat binder bolt. So if you can find one that fits, that's what I'd use.
But by looking at the amount of rust on those tubes, I would question the reliability of the frame, and the safety riding the bike. That's more than surface rust. .
Likes For leob1:
Old 09-21-20, 10:59 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...roadsters.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...tay-bolts.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-21-20, 11:01 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
I have no idea, but did that thing come from the wreckage of the Titanic?

Glenn
Old 09-21-20, 11:10 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Keep form and function in mind here. You'll need to use a well rusted bolt so it matches.
Old 09-21-20, 01:58 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Many pre-war and soviet era bike frames I have seen have this design (seatstays are welded to the dropouts, but bolt-on at the seat tube, and one bolt both keeps them in place and tightens the seat collar). What was the thought behind design, I don't know, but it's not that uncommon.
Old 09-21-20, 02:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
@cumulo, I can only say better you than me.
Old 09-21-20, 03:57 PM
cumulo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha! I know it looks pretty bad but the rust does seem to be surface because the paint was previously removed down to the bare steel which always coats very quickly with rust if left alone. I sanded bits of the frame by hand. removing the rust, and it was shiny metal underneath. I will need to monitor the whole frame carefully of course, and maybe it may well be lost cause, but hey, it was in a barn behind some hay bales and old wooden furniture and cost me nothing. Any parts I buy can be reused on another similar project. I really want an vintage folder. The photos do look grim, though!

Thanks for the input, guys, I will be careful to check the integrity of the frame and chuck it otherwise.

It never occurred to me that it might be related to removing a chaincase or chain assembly, dedhed,. I guess that might make the bike older than I thought. Nice links.
Old 09-21-20, 04:56 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Seat stays are the least-stressed tubes on your frame. Those that you picture are plenty strong when bolted in properly (and when not compromised by rust). Makes for an easy conversion to belt drive, too.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 09-21-20, 07:37 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Makes for an easy conversion to belt drive, too.
Very interesting. I’d like to get a belt drive bike but the “traditional” stay removal systems are A real turn off. Anyone know of other bikes built with this system? Please let me know. Thanks.