Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts/advice please

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 07:10 PM
c_law23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've been lurking around but there's so much information I think I'm just going around in circles. I am a bigger guy at 6'4" 275lbs. I have an older box store cheapo mountain bike that I ride on the bike trail occasionally but it gets fewer and further in between. I'd like to ride more but do not really enjoy the ride on my old mountain bike these days. It's noisy and unreliable and not very comfortable. So I'm looking at buying something and I think the hybrid category fits what I want. I might want to build up to a road bike one day but am looking at more casual rides down the bike paths and roads in my city. Losing weight would be nice as well. I'm definitely looking at the cheaper scale on the price range, $400 or less (less is preferable )

As far as new bikes go I was looking at a Trek 7000 and a Diamondback Hybrid. I'm just at this point looking at stores in the area and reading reviews. I am open to any suggestions.

Also there is a posting on CL in my area for a 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 with a claimed 75 miles on it for $279. I am leaning towards this at the moment (admittedly due to price and the fact that I am in civil engineering so I work a LOT of hours in the summer time so the more I spend the more I might regret it if my bike is just sitting there because I cannot find time to ride it.) Now all this said if I find that the more expensive bike (within my range) is far and away the better fit then that is what I'll likely purchase. I just don't want to go out and spend $2k on clubs when the starter set from Dick's is all that would have taken to let me know that I'm not going to golf very much (that's all i could think to relate it too haha.)

So basically I'm a little out of shape, 29 years old and just want a bike to ride when I get off of work to clear my head and get some exercise and maybe take some longer jaunts here and there on the weekend with a buddy who is also getting into riding (he has very much the same outlook on this as me.) So any insight and thoughts on my choices would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-12, 07:38 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A hybrid would suit your purpose very well. Keep in mind that as a bigger guy you're going to be needing a larger frame. The Fuji could be a fine bike for you, IF it's your size and the geometry of the frame is comfortable for you. Visiting bike shops would help you determine what size you need and what your money can buy. If you've been lurking you've probably already read lists of good hybrid recommendations. I'd stay away from front suspension bikes, it's just unnecessary weight.

I'd prefer the Fuji to a Diamondback. But I think I'd offer less for that Fuji if you like it... and IF it's your size!

At 29, you'll probably notice your fitness improving rapidly if you ride a couple times a week. Riding buddies definitely add to the fun and spur you on. I've talked a friend into taking weekend day trips with me and we're both really enjoying the rides and the change of scenery. But the great thing about biking is that you can just go out your front door and ride some miles around your neighborhood.

Last edited by Bunnicula; 07-26-12 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-25-12, 08:13 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunnicula
A hybrid would suit your purpose very well. Keep in mind that as a bigger guy you're going to be needing a larger frame. The Fuji could be a fine bike for you, IF it's your size and the geometry of the frame is comfortable for you. Visiting bike shops would help you determine what size you need and what your money can buy. If you've been lurking you've probably already read lists of good hybrid recommendations. I'd stay away from front suspension bikes, it's just unnecessary weight.

I'd prefer the Fuji to a Diamonback. But I think I'd offer less for that Fuji if you like it... and IF it's your size!

At 29, you'll probably notice your fitness improving rapidly if you ride a couple times a week. Riding buddies definitely add to the fun and spur you on. I've talked a friend into taking weekend day trips with me and we're both really enjoying the rides and the change of scenery. But the great thing about biking is that you can just go out your front door and ride some miles around your neighborhood.

+1

I would whole heartedly agree with this. I would also add that if you can't score the Fuji, then you'd best opt for either a used chromoly steel 80's era road or MTB. Steel will render greater support in the long run, than just about anything else.

Of course, I would always encourage prospective cyclists to purchase new, as opposed to used, because in addition to receiving a warranty, you get free adjustments, as well. IMHO, a brand new Jamis Coda Sport, a KHS Urban Xpress, or Xcape would suit your cycling needs, just perfectly. You will need the added chromoly steel strength for support.

The Jamis Coda Sport ~ $560
www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/coda/12_codasport_bk.html

The Urban Xpress ~ $570
https://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2012-kh.../urban-xpress/

The Urban Xcape ~ $420
https://khsbicycles.com/bikes/2012-kh...s/urban-xcape/

Last edited by SlimRider; 07-26-12 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-26-12, 05:05 PM
c_law23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, I appreciate the timely responses. I think that I'm going to further look into the Fuji and see how it feels. I'll be sure to update with any progress or questions.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-12, 06:11 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Do you have a Giant dealer near you ? I have the Cypress , and preferred it to the Fuji when I bought it . XL size should fit you well, I'm about the same size and weight as you . My workhorse since '08
Old 07-28-12, 07:09 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I would recommend looking at "flat bar road bikes" rather than "hybrids". I know both fall into the hybrid category but I think the flat bar road bikes will become a category of their own. I'm 100 pounds heavier than you and I know I would not like a typical hybrid (very upright riding position, one or more suspension components, huge range of gearing, wide cushy seat, etc....). For me, when I'm on a bicycle I want to go fast. I know that's a very relative term for a guy my size but why ride something that is pretty much guaranteed to keep me at a slower pace? My solution was to build up a flat bar road bike and to set it up right on the margin between comfort & speed. Bascially, it's a skinny a seat, as low a riding position and as little suspension...actually none....as I can stand while still allowing me to ride my desired distance/time.

I've been riding off and on since 1995 and have a fair idea what I want so I'm building up a 1995 hybrid to be exactly what I want. Some changes I made include thinner, high performance tires, lower handlebars (still seat height), a new fork to decrease trail and make the bike have quicker handling, custom hand-built wheels to handle my weight and an extremely tight cassette for very small gear jumps to allow for fine tuning my cadence. I'm about 75% done and so far the bike is easily living up to my expectations.

Any of the new flat-bar road bikes could achieve the same thing by simply swapping out the tires and cassettes, things an LBS would probably do at a discounted rate at the time of bicycle purchase. You would end up with a comfortable but still relatively fast bike that you would probably love to ride.

The most important thing is to test ride anything before you buy it. If the LBS can't make it comfortable during your test ride, it may never be comfortable.

SlimRider and I seem to give very similar advice in cases like this but he's much more familiar with what's available out there. I'm mainly a Trek guy and I'm familiar with James Coda's only because they are practically the only modern cro-moly performance hybrid out there, which is my preferred ride.
Old 07-28-12, 09:16 AM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
I would recommend looking at "flat bar road bikes" rather than "hybrids". I know both fall into the hybrid category but I think the flat bar road bikes will become a category of their own. I'm 100 pounds heavier than you and I know I would not like a typical hybrid (very upright riding position, one or more suspension components, huge range of gearing, wide cushy seat, etc....). For me, when I'm on a bicycle I want to go fast. I know that's a very relative term for a guy my size but why ride something that is pretty much guaranteed to keep me at a slower pace? My solution was to build up a flat bar road bike and to set it up right on the margin between comfort & speed. Bascially, it's a skinny a seat, as low a riding position and as little suspension...actually none....as I can stand while still allowing me to ride my desired distance/time.

I've been riding off and on since 1995 and have a fair idea what I want so I'm building up a 1995 hybrid to be exactly what I want. Some changes I made include thinner, high performance tires, lower handlebars (still seat height), a new fork to decrease trail and make the bike have quicker handling, custom hand-built wheels to handle my weight and an extremely tight cassette for very small gear jumps to allow for fine tuning my cadence. I'm about 75% done and so far the bike is easily living up to my expectations.

Any of the new flat-bar road bikes could achieve the same thing by simply swapping out the tires and cassettes, things an LBS would probably do at a discounted rate at the time of bicycle purchase. You would end up with a comfortable but still relatively fast bike that you would probably love to ride.

The most important thing is to test ride anything before you buy it. If the LBS can't make it comfortable during your test ride, it may never be comfortable.

SlimRider and I seem to give very similar advice in cases like this but he's much more familiar with what's available out there. I'm mainly a Trek guy and I'm familiar with James Coda's only because they are practically the only modern cro-moly performance hybrid out there, which is my preferred ride.
Yes, flat bar road bikes ARE considered hybrids. There are quite a few choices that don't have cushy seats and really upright stances. Plus, a good fitting can alter the riding position to one that's more aggressive. The OP's budget is only $400, so that's going to limit his options on some of the more road-oriented hybrids.
Old 07-28-12, 05:23 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
At 275, pay attention to the durability of wheels. More spokes rather than fewer will help support more weight. Perhaps someone here can comment or you can ask in the Clydesdale forum for good suggestions.