Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ofmega spindles

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ofmega spindles

Old 11-19-12, 03:02 PM
delcrossv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ofmega spindles

So i got this very nice 125mm Ofmega crankset for my daugher's 450A Motobecane

What size spindle do I need to get? I imagine I will need to find that proprietary Ofmega taper. I can find 115's without too much trouble. Too long for a kids bike?
Old 11-19-12, 03:08 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
I suspect that crank, which seems to be an older Ofmega model, does use the thinner tapered end spindle. You'll have to find an Ofmega BB to match up to the crank the, otherwise, other brand ISO tapered spindles might not fit far in enough into the square tapered holes on the crankset. Not sure if the Ofmega/Avocet connection means that some Avocet spindles might work. Avocet spindles are easier to find than Ofmegas at eBay.

Chombi
Old 11-19-12, 03:27 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
I suspect that crank, which seems to be an older Ofmega model, does use the thinner tapered end spindle. You'll have to find an Ofmega BB to match up to the crank the, otherwise, other brand ISO tapered spindles might not fit far in enough into the square tapered holes on the crankset. Not sure if the Ofmega/Avocet connection means that some Avocet spindles might work. Avocet spindles are easier to find than Ofmegas at eBay.

Chombi
That's what I figured, but what length? I do need to match it up to the shell width yes? That's short (60mm) too.
Old 11-19-12, 03:50 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

I've never mounted an Ofmega crank on my bikes. I have not seen any charts showing recommended lengths for spindles either (IIRC, even Sheldon Brown does not provide specs and numbers for Ofmega BBs). I suspect that they might be similar to what is used on other Italian cranksets. Something like 113mm to 116mm for 68mm BB shell widths. Maybe someone else with more Ofmega experience can chime in to confirm.

Chombi
Old 11-19-12, 03:55 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hope so, I'm already 8mm short of the standard 68mm shell.
Old 11-19-12, 04:09 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
great to se you got those cranks-now where is the thread you promised on that bike!!

talk with andycapp,he has the same pair and can check the measurements
a track axle come to mind as a maybe
he would love to drillium that for you!
my last set of Ofmega junior cranks left the building last week,
I do remember flipping the axle around to get the chainline closer inboard

But I do recall the square end being standard sizing.
Old 11-19-12, 04:24 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
great to se you got those cranks-now where is the thread you promised on that bike!!

talk with andycapp,he has the same pair and can check the measurements
a track axle come to mind as a maybe
he would love to drillium that for you!
my last set of Ofmega junior cranks left the building last week,
I do remember flipping the axle around to get the chainline closer inboard

But I do recall the square end being standard sizing.
Thread's coming, I'm still collecting parts! If that's a standard ISO taper that would solve a world of problems.

No drillium for this, it already doesn't weigh anything!
Old 11-19-12, 04:30 PM
Chombi

I know your pain as I have an Ofmega Mistral crankset coming in soon in the mail for one of my projects. I'm already stressing about not really knowing what BB/spindle to use on it. I did see in some internet threads that some later Ofmega cranks might have standard spindle tapers and its most likely just the older Ofmega cranks (early 80's and earlier) that required the Ofmega tapered spindles.
I just hope it will be OK when I test fit it on one of my ISO tapered spindles on my other bikes.

Chombi
Old 11-19-12, 04:33 PM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'll have to take the Olmo's BB apart to get some measurements for you... The weather really sucks here so I'll be confined to the indoors tonight. Stay tuned... When are we going to see some pics of this bike?

-Andy
Old 11-19-12, 06:37 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
I know your pain as I have an Ofmega Mistral crankset coming in soon in the mail for one of my projects. I'm already stressing about not really knowing what BB/spindle to use on it. I did see in some internet threads that some later Ofmega cranks might have standard spindle tapers and its most likely just the older Ofmega cranks (early 80's and earlier) that required the Ofmega tapered spindles.I just hope it will be OK when I test fit it on one of my ISO tapered spindles on my other bikes.Chombi
My ofmega spindle seemed to have the same taper (attempted to measure with calipers) as a late Campagnolo centaur bottom bracket. English bottom brackets seem impossible to find, but the Italian spindle, the correct English campy cups, and a modern bb spacer work nicely. Let me know if you need more info.
Old 11-19-12, 09:14 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andycapp
I'll have to take the Olmo's BB apart to get some measurements for you... The weather really sucks here so I'll be confined to the indoors tonight. Stay tuned... When are we going to see some pics of this bike?

-Andy
Soon. I'm almost done "shopping" for this one.