takozukuri
human being

Bikes: 7.3 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
What about using one of the grocery delivery services on Monday's rather than carrying your food?
I've been commuting to work for 10+ years (always thru GBP and down Terry Hershey) and I love this idea. Can't believe I hadn't thought of this before!!

When I return to work (after all the COVID stuff is in the rear-view mirror), I may try this!! I'm already envisioning fig newtons, fresh squeezed OJ and bunch of bananas waiting for me at work on Monday mornings!
Old 10-28-20, 09:42 AM
siesta_texas

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Did my first commute this morning through GBP and Terry Hershey. Cold and Windy but loved it. Used a backpack but can see the benefit of panniers
Likes For siesta_texas:
Old 10-28-20, 12:44 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by siesta_texas
Did my first commute this morning through GBP and Terry Hershey. Cold and Windy but loved it. Used a backpack but can see the benefit of panniers
Great! Where are you coming from and where are you going? The GBP->THP commute can be a bear sometimes especially with the wind, and it's longer than a lot of people think. What kind of time did you make?
I go HWY6 to BWY8 in THP for my commute. About 9.7 miles in ~35 minutes - perfect length for me and timewise.

Welcome to the bike commuter community!
Old 10-28-20, 01:12 PM
siesta_texas

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Commuting from Nottingham Country in Katy to Energy Corridor off BW8. Trip is about 14.5 miles and took an hour on the dot but had to stop a couple times to double check my map. I also wasn't pushing speed and trying to be safe with the wet paths.
Old 10-28-20, 09:28 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Commuting from Nottingham Country in Katy to Energy Corridor off BW8. Trip is about 14.5 miles and took an hour on the dot but had to stop a couple times to double check my map. I also wasn't pushing speed and trying to be safe with the wet paths.
So did you take Mason Creek Greenway down through the entire GBP, or did you scoot down Kingsland or the neighborhood paths and hop into the north side of the park at the cop shop?
Where along BWY8 are you? City Centre area? I'm down at CityWest.
Old 10-29-20, 07:59 AM
siesta_texas

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I am almost to weathermen and BW8. Took Kirkwood to Briar Forrest were a little hairy with all the traffics. Any tips on best route to City West from THP?
Old 10-30-20, 10:35 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I am almost to weathermen and BW8. Took Kirkwood to Briar Forrest were a little hairy with all the traffics. Any tips on best route to City West from THP?
Not sure where Weathermen is.
Best route to Citywest Blvd from THP is take the park to the end at BWY8, continue under BW8 past the parking lot, over the bayou and follow the path that leads to the sidewalk along the southbound feeder, then turn right into the Walnut Bend neighborhood and take it south, cross Briar Forest Dr, then take a few left turns and bam you're on CityWest Blvd. MAP IMAGE #1 BELOW

HOWEVER
You can't do that right now because Deerwood Rd, where you would turn off the feeder after THP, is all torn up because Westchase District is putting in all new road/bike/ped infra so it's completely closed. So you have to take a detour from Wilcrest. It's got a few more turns but is easy and puts you right in the same spot. I used it daily when THP was closed for flooding or bank reconstruction. This will have to be your route until the road work is completed. MAP IMAGE #2 BELOW

The normal way (can't use because roadwork)

The detour (use until further notice) The GREEN is the detour. The RED is the route from map #1 above. They lead to the same place. The parallel roads converge at Briar Forest Dr.
I recommend crossing Wilcrest at THP and coming south on the sidewalk on the eastern (northbound traffic) side.

Likes For the sci guy:
Old 11-01-20, 07:39 PM
Mitkraft

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thats such a nice area to ride. My commute is in the burbs with no bike paths to speak of.

I started with a backpack but switched quickly to a modular trunk/pannier setup. I like to have one pack that stays with the bike and a trunk with collapsible pannier that I can take off the bike with me when I get to work.

Old 11-02-20, 06:22 AM
siesta_texas

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the maps. Auto correct said weatherman but I meant to type Westheimer and BW8. I took the sidewalks on South BW8 frontage road but will definitely try the sidewalk route from Wilcrest.

Did the commute twice last week and shooting for more this week. Loved every part of it but would like to get a rack and pannier bags just for comfort. Just need to find panniers that are waterproof and can hold a laptop with easy removal.
Likes For siesta_texas:
Old 11-02-20, 10:07 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Thanks for the maps. Auto correct said weatherman but I meant to type Westheimer and BW8. I took the sidewalks on South BW8 frontage road but will definitely try the sidewalk route from Wilcrest.

Did the commute twice last week and shooting for more this week. Loved every part of it but would like to get a rack and pannier bags just for comfort. Just need to find panniers that are waterproof and can hold a laptop with easy removal.
lol autocorrect strikes again. Yup, definitely hop off at Wilcrest and go through the neighborhoods to CityWest Blvd all the way to Westheimer. Much safer. Plus the infrastructure improvements are extending all the way down CityWest Blvd - they've got the southbound side torn up and you can see where they are putting in a wide mutli-use path. Can't wait! But it's fairly safe to ride the road on CityWest - I did it everyday. (and will again whenever we're back in the offices after Covid).

I used to have a rack and use a pannier (clothes only, no laptop) but ended up switching to a backpack because my commuter bike was my regular ride bike and i didn't like having a rack on it for normal riding (and aesthetics).
Old 05-05-21, 05:56 PM
Ericdg16

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi!

Hello, everyone...I’m new here (to the forum) live on the east side....Anyone have any recommendations on bike shops for advice on changing cranksets? I’ve been to 3 different bike barns and got 3 different answers as to what cranks will/won’t work with my bike.

Training for bike around the bay in October...anyone else planning on riding this?
Old 05-10-21, 12:09 PM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ericdg16
Hello, everyone...I’m new here (to the forum) live on the east side....Anyone have any recommendations on bike shops for advice on changing cranksets? I’ve been to 3 different bike barns and got 3 different answers as to what cranks will/won’t work with my bike.

Training for bike around the bay in October...anyone else planning on riding this?
The only one on the east size I used is eadobikeco.com - check them out. There is plenty of training group rides on the east side, EEBR(East End Bike Ride), some groups in Pasadena etc. BAB is a great charity ride to do. Done it 3x and may do again this year...
Old 05-13-21, 10:27 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

EaDo Bike is a great shop. I've driven all the way over to them from energy corridor for stuff before.
Old 09-23-21, 09:03 AM
Prunesquallor

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 resto-modded to 1x11 townie, 1987 Bianchi Brava resto-modded to 1x11 fitness/events

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 17 Posts
Anyone in the Clear Lake area know how the Kemah Bridge rebuild is looking for bikes? That will be one good workout.

Still hoping for a reasonable route all the way around the lake. The completion of the Egret Bay trail helped a lot. Hoping that NASA 1 to FM518 via 146 and the bridge are being built bike-friendly.
Old 09-26-21, 07:41 PM
Mitkraft

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Prunesquallor
Anyone in the Clear Lake area know how the Kemah Bridge rebuild is looking for bikes? That will be one good workout.

Still hoping for a reasonable route all the way around the lake. The completion of the Egret Bay trail helped a lot. Hoping that NASA 1 to FM518 via 146 and the bridge are being built bike-friendly.

All I know is that it isn’t safe to ride it yet! The Bike Around the Bay has removed it from their route this year and they just removed Fred Hartman due to construction also. It LOOKS like there will be a bike/pedestrian lane. It was a good workout before the construction. The huge shoulders made it very ridable.

Last edited by Mitkraft; 10-04-21 at 05:40 AM.
Old 09-26-21, 09:24 PM
Prunesquallor

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710 resto-modded to 1x11 townie, 1987 Bianchi Brava resto-modded to 1x11 fitness/events

Originally Posted by Mitkraft
QUOTE=Prunesquallor;22242578]Anyone in the Clear Lake area know how the Kemah Bridge rebuild is looking for bikes? That will be one good workout.

All I know is that it isn’t safe to ride it yet! The Bike Around the Bay has removed it from their route this year and they just removed Fred Hartman due to construction also. It LOOKS like there will be a bike/pedestrian lane. It was a good workout before the construction. The huge shoulders made it very ridable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I got curious and drove the bridge the other day. The shoulders are gone. No way I'd go near that area on a bike. I also read that 146 isn’t expected to be done until mid-2023.
Old 10-07-21, 07:06 AM
Prunesquallor

Latest on Waller County incident.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...n-16514248.php
Old 04-11-22, 09:29 PM
tmvtf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Love this thread!

I get to ride along white oak bayou trail from 43rd into the heights where I teach. About 10 smooth, pleasant miles.. especially these days with the ridiculous amounts bluebonnets!

Everyone stay safe out there!
Likes For tmvtf: