Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Another dog story

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 04:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I wish people would leash their squirrels. The damn things are running all over the place, getting in front of bikes and cars.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-26-20, 06:00 AM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Two observations.

It should not be lost on anybody that here we are, a group characterized by our stubborn unwillingness to stop a pursuit of someone faster when our quads are screaming for mercy, unable to not take up the challenge of a 89 degree slope, unwilling to succumb to 99 degree temperatures and 100% humidity ... complaining about dogs that want to chase us for miles. There's something Gary Larsen-ish about it.

And second: the only dog that almost killed me on a bike was a dachsund. It wandered out in front of me at the bottom of a long, long hill. I was young and stupid and going really fast. The dachsy was old and fat and waddled right into my path. I didn't hit it--I'm a dog person, like I said--but the avoidance manuever at high speed was, shall we say, destabilizing. Little f***er came over to lick my face as I was laying on the ground.

(By the way, the bike was an old 70's era Univega, and it survived quite nicely.)
Old 08-26-20, 07:33 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
ride with 2 milk-bones in your pocket/saddle bag. Toss em out to decoy the dog

if you forget, you should stop, put your bike between you and the dog and let the owner get his/her dog
Old 08-26-20, 09:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-26-20, 03:11 PM
seaweedsam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A similar incident happened to me and I was bit
Old 08-26-20, 03:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
One comment about the "bad owner/ bad dog" discussion. You are entitled to kick, spray or shoot a dog that is attacking/chasing you. That is likely to discourage the attack. All you can do with the owner is call him names after the fact. Which one is more likely to keep you from being bitten or wrecked?
Old 08-26-20, 03:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
Dogs are great. Some dog owners are s***.

Everybody JUST KNOWS their dog is perfectly obedient, comes when called, and would never attack another dog or a human. So why not let your dog off leash? And that works out great, right up till it doesn't work at all.

Every time I'm walking my dog and encounter some a****** who JUST KNOWS their dog is perfectly safe, I want to say to them, "You follow leash laws because however sure you are of YOUR dog, you don't know my dog AT ALL. What if your dog came running over to mine for a friendly sniff, and MY dog felt threatened and attacked it? Whose fault would that be? It would be YOURS. You DO NOT KNOW if my dog is an angel or a killer. So why would you put YOUR dog at risk?"

(As it happens, my Greyhound is a big playful goof, but if you don't know him, you don't know that)

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles