Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vintage suntour cassette removal help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 06:09 PM
Bladeputr13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I just bought a two pronged tool to remove this cassette. My question is, do I need to remove anything like the black outer ring around it before I can go ahead and take the cassette off. Thanks so much ahead of time!
Old 10-25-20, 06:40 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
No added removal needs but there is an additional install need. Two prong tools really want an axle in place to help secure the tool VERY TIGHTLY against the freewheel during the initial effort to break loose the freewheel.

Repeat for those who don't read well. This tool will likely break off a prong (and maybe damage the freewheel too) if used without an axle and either the axle nut or the QR skewer securing the tool tightly against the freewheel.

Once the initial tightness is undone (about 1/8 of a wheel rotation and not much more) the axle nut or QR can be loosened. Failure to do this loosening of the tool's being held tightly against the freewheel can result in the hub shell threads becoming damaged.

There are many on line tutorials about this and I suggest reading some if my advise isn't well understood. Andy
Old 10-25-20, 08:23 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
That's a "Winner" freewheel, not a cassette. The SunTour (or equivalent) two-prong remover will work. It helps to have the axle and quick release in place to secure the remover tool and reduce the likelihood of slippage and damage to the remover slots on the freewheel body.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-26-20, 11:26 AM
Bladeputr13

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys! Your input is priceless.
Old 10-26-20, 11:49 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I’ll echo what others have said. But I’ll add that when you remove it, do yourself a favor and get a Shimano freewheel. Shimano’s are far easier to remove. The splined tool engages better.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-26-20, 11:55 AM
Bladeputr13

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That was so satisfying. Thanks again
Old 10-26-20, 01:32 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by cyccommute
when you remove it, do yourself a favor and get a Shimano freewheel. Shimano’s are far easier to remove. The splined tool engages better.
And the Shimano tooth profile shifts better than SunTour's.

The Winner freewheel is mechanically one of the best, but between the remover tool and shifting performance, I've come to prefer Shimano.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-26-20, 03:46 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
And the Shimano tooth profile shifts better than SunTour's.

The Winner freewheel is mechanically one of the best, but between the remover tool and shifting performance, I've come to prefer Shimano.
I don’t know that I’d call them mechanically superior to most any freewheel. The prong design was a major failing. I’ve had to destructively remove far too many of them and had too many tools break to think otherwise. The only thing worse than the 2 prong design was the 4 prong design. There’s also something about the threading on the Winner that seems tighter than other free wheels. They tend to need a lot more torque to remove and the prongs just aren’t up to the task.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-26-20, 04:33 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
Yeah! Take that freewheel off and send it to me. And replace it with any Shimano freewheel. I have been riding the SunTour freewheels for close to 35 years with no problems. I can always use a spare. Just ask PB. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-26-20, 07:25 PM
Bladeputr13

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As JohnDThompson so astutely pointed out it is a "winner" freewheel. For no terrific reason other than being a completionist and wanting to clean and lube it since I'm doing a whole bike teardown, I want to take the freewheel apart and I realized it has a unique prong design. I'm scratching my head on how I'd open it seeing as the tool to open it seem to be very rare. On second thought after more reading I've learned you supposedly rarely need to take these apart. I'm probably just going to degrease it to clean it out a bit and pour some oil into it. Mad Honk, I'd be interested in how you attack these freewheels. To remind the audience, it's not a typical freewheel that can be taken apart with a two prong spanner.
Old 10-27-20, 08:25 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Bladeputr13
For no terrific reason other than being a completionist and wanting to clean and lube it since I'm doing a whole bike teardown, I want to take the freewheel apart and I realized it has a unique prong design. I'm scratching my head on how I'd open it seeing as the tool to open it seem to be very rare.
Unless you have a compelling reason to take it apart, I'd just flush it out and lubricate. Earlier SunTour freewheels adjusted their bearings by adding or removing spacers inside the body. The Winner freewheel uses a cup-and-cone design similar to that on hubs. You need the SunTour NWN tool to open and adjust the freewheel (or a great deal more patience than I can muster).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
suntour-nwn.jpg (35.0 KB, 135 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-27-20, 09:25 AM
cyccommute 

As JohnDThompson so astutely pointed out it is a "winner" freewheel. For no terrific reason other than being a completionist and wanting to clean and lube it since I'm doing a whole bike teardown, I want to take the freewheel apart and I realized it has a unique prong design. I'm scratching my head on how I'd open it seeing as the tool to open it seem to be very rare. On second thought after more reading I've learned you supposedly rarely need to take these apart. I'm probably just going to degrease it to clean it out a bit and pour some oil into it. Mad Honk, I'd be interested in how you attack these freewheels. To remind the audience, it's not a typical freewheel that can be taken apart with a two prong spanner.
I wouldn’t even degrease it. There’s no need. Flushing oil through it while spinning is enough. I often do that with a sticky freewheel while it is on the bike. That’s enough to last for years.

If you really feel the need to grease it, you can see if you can find a Stein freewheel injector. They can be pricey, however. I’ve seen prices around $70 for them. But the freewheel, like any drivetrain component, is a consumable and just not worth that kind of investment.

If you really want to take one apart, you can use a pin spanner. The race ring is usually very, very, very tight and difficult to get loose. A punch on the edges of the slots (red arrows below) can be used to knock them loose but that can also damage the slots.

If you get that ring off, be aware that there are 10 million little bearings in the freewheel and half of them will jump off as soon as you start to take it apart. Half of them will roll to Outer Mongolia with the slightest disturbance. The other half will have you doing a Vaudeville routine when they spread across the floor.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-27-20, 02:47 PM
Bladeputr13

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You guys are awesome. Thanks to all that contributed!
Old 10-27-20, 03:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Keep in mind that the only time the bearings are "working" is when coasting.
So, no real load on the bearings.
A couple/few drops of oil in the right place.......
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-27-20, 10:32 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Nevermind, I think I gave incorrect info.

Last edited by Rogerogeroge; 10-27-20 at 10:33 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 10-31-21, 12:09 PM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Responding to cyccommute, the system isn't letting me quote the original message for some reason (new member)

Here's a dumb question on an old thread, but when you say flush oil through it while spinning, where exactly should the oil be going? And what kind of oil are we talking?

I've come across an old road bike (Giant Allegre) with Suntour GPX in working/riding condition and I've decided to tear it down clean everything and keep the Suntour stuff (instead of making it a fixie which is what I was really looking for a frame for). I need to get surface rust off of everything, so re: the freewheel, if I WD-40 and wire brush it a bit, what else would I want to do to be sure it's nicely lubed after cleaning?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-21, 12:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
I want to take the freewheel apart
Should you continue to entertain those thoughts.

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...oto-heavy.html
https://restoringvintagebicycles.com...ewheel-part-i/
Old 10-31-21, 02:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The most simple way to drio oil through a freewheel is to place it on a paper towel either face of back side down. Which side down? If one side has a lip or difference in height at the gap where the inner and outer bodies fit together then that side is up. The lip or slight height difference will act as a dam and allow the lube to collect and not flow away from the gap that you want the lube to enter. Why the paper towel? because as the fresh oil makes it's way through the innards it will pick up some of the grime from the old lube and carry that away. By having a clean paper under the freewheel you both can make sure the fresh lube has gotten all the way through as well as no longer is transporting old and dirty stuff.

Some SunTour freewheels have had an oil drip hole on the body, either where the hub threads are or under the cogs. Both require the FW to be removed or it's cogs removed. Andy
Old 10-31-21, 08:05 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by jasoninohio
Responding to cyccommute, the system isn't letting me quote the original message for some reason (new member)

Here's a dumb question on an old thread, but when you say flush oil through it while spinning, where exactly should the oil be going? And what kind of oil are we talking?

I've come across an old road bike (Giant Allegre) with Suntour GPX in working/riding condition and I've decided to tear it down clean everything and keep the Suntour stuff (instead of making it a fixie which is what I was really looking for a frame for). I need to get surface rust off of everything, so re: the freewheel, if I WD-40 and wire brush it a bit, what else would I want to do to be sure it's nicely lubed after cleaning?

Thanks!
The oil will flow through the freewheel. It’s a very open system. I’ve used 3-in-One oil or TriFlow. WD-40 would work but it has a lot of solvent in it so you won’t get all that much oil into the freewheel. Andrew’s advice is good and solid. I just flow oil into the freewheel until it has a drowned sound and the freewheel spins well.