Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

North Carolina Country Roads!

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 07-06-20, 07:35 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts

Anybody riding in North Carolina? We love to ride the back roads here! We are recreational / fitness riders. Check out some of the scenery we get to enjoy regularly. Let us know if you are anywhere near Orange County and you want to check out some of these routes.

Likes For Rje58:
Old 09-30-20, 05:55 AM
Cmichini

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Crossroad Sport Hybrid, 1998 Trek 800 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Hi ya!

I'm down in Charlotte, but a new member here so thought I'd say hi.
Recreational/fitness rider here too.

Got back on my bike in March when the gyms closed, after only riding a few times a year for brewery biking tours with some buddies.
Now that fall is upon us, I'll be adding some more recreational rides to my fitness-centric schedule.
I'd love to find a partner to do the recreational rides with someone (wife doesn't like biking).

Cheers
Likes For Cmichini:
Old 09-30-20, 06:46 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 935 Posts

My 1st metric was the Country Roads bike tour in Scotland Neck, they do a great job...too bad it didn't happed this year but hopefully next spring it will be back: https://www.raceplace.com/events/803...oads-bike-tour

I'm in eastern NC and we're lucky to have good country roads and for the most part, respectful drivers willing to share the road. Our small Lenoir County group rides from the NC Global Transpark or from a members house in LaGrange where we ride into Greene & Wayne Co roads.

A recent meetup of New Bern, Kinston & Goldsboro groups for a photo op in Tick Bite NC

Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 10-02-20, 02:35 PM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji

My 1st metric was the Country Roads bike tour in Scotland Neck, they do a great job...too bad it didn't happed this year but hopefully next spring it will be back: https://www.raceplace.com/events/803...oads-bike-tour

I'm in eastern NC and we're lucky to have good country roads and for the most part, respectful drivers willing to share the road. Our small Lenoir County group rides from the NC Global Transpark or from a members house in LaGrange where we ride into Greene & Wayne Co roads.

A recent meetup of New Bern, Kinston & Goldsboro groups for a photo op in Tick Bite NC

My in-laws are in New Bern and I've been trying to find some good routes around here. Doesn't seem to be much of a cycling community (or I'm searching the wrong things) and RideWithGPS and the Strava Heatmaps don't seem to be a lot of help either. Would love some 30ish mile ride suggestions.

I've taken my gravel bike down to the Croatan a few times too. Mostly piecing roads together and it seems alright. Hope to do the Bikepacking.com overnight loop one of these trips.
Old 10-04-20, 12:08 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Originally Posted by Smitty2k1
My in-laws are in New Bern and I've been trying to find some good routes around here. Doesn't seem to be much of a cycling community (or I'm searching the wrong things) and RideWithGPS and the Strava Heatmaps don't seem to be a lot of help either. Would love some 30ish mile ride suggestions.

I've taken my gravel bike down to the Croatan a few times too. Mostly piecing roads together and it seems alright. Hope to do the Bikepacking.com overnight loop one of these trips.
There's an active group in New Bern that has scheduled rides, but could probably let you know some good routes if you wanted to do solo. I'm in Kinston and don't know the contact, but they ride out of Flythe's Bike Shop. They're a good & friendly shop and sponsor several charity rides as well group rides around New Bern. Here's a link that includes the phone number.

https://www.flythebikeshop.com/

I'm about 45 minutes west of New Bern in Kinston and our small group does evening (5:30) rides weekdays of 25 miles, or I'd be interested in a non-group ride and meeting another BF member. Just PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 10-05-20 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-07-21, 04:10 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
We are fortunate to have an extensive rural paved road system in NC. It seems like at one point NC had as many miles of paved roads as any other state. There’s a lot of country to explore.
Old 02-04-21, 04:40 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Do you ever post any of your routes on RideWithGPS or Garmin Connect?
Old 03-16-21, 04:05 PM
Daevos

Bikes: Cerv-P2 (2017), Trek Emonda S4 (2017), pending (2021)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
We are fortunate to have an extensive rural paved road system in NC. It seems like at one point NC had as many miles of paved roads as any other state. There’s a lot of country to explore.
...and each of those miles comes with its own unchained and unfenced dog. My sprinting ability is getting decent.
Old 03-16-21, 08:32 PM
Strack!
Tenacity

Bikes: Trek 7000, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great videos! I live in the Triangle area and would like to ride some of those roads. Are the routes posted anywhere? Thanks!
Likes For Strack!:
Old 03-29-21, 06:49 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 224 Posts
We are in Raleigh visiting our daughter and her family. I did this route while my wife babysat. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35463747

I would much rather ride 50 miles than chase a toddler for 3 hours.
Likes For bblair:
Old 05-12-21, 08:34 PM
rje58_too

Bikes: 2019 Trek FX2; 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0; 1997 Trek 830 (converted to hybrid); 1992 Trek 800 Antelope

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 273 Posts
I love dogs, but I don't love getting bitten and my wife was attacked by a dog when she was a child, so she kind of has a phobia of being bitten. We both carry pepper spray. In riding thousands of miles on back country roads, we've had to use our pepper spray several times.

The good news is: in all but ONE of those cases, we were able to spray the GROUND in front of the dog, and that was enough to stop them from advancing further. In the one case where that didn't work, we did have to spray the dog. We've ridden past there at least half a dozen times since then - the dog barks, but stays out of the road.

And in regards to sprinting ability, we've figured out we can't outrun most dogs, except the ankle nibblers which aren't a threat anyway - unless we've got a downhill run.

Originally Posted by Daevos
...and each of those miles comes with its own unchained and unfenced dog. My sprinting ability is getting decent.

Last edited by rje58_too; 05-12-21 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-12-21, 08:37 PM
rje58_too

Bikes: 2019 Trek FX2; 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0; 1997 Trek 830 (converted to hybrid); 1992 Trek 800 Antelope

We don't use Strava, sometimes we use MapMyRide. All the rides in our current video series are in Orange County, north of I40/I85. If you want our MapMyRide routes or just a map with the routes marked, PM me.

Originally Posted by Strack!
Great videos! I live in the Triangle area and would like to ride some of those roads. Are the routes posted anywhere? Thanks!
Likes For rje58_too:
Old 05-14-21, 11:42 AM
Strack!
Tenacity

Bikes: Trek 7000, Bianchi Veloce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in Orange County so your routes sound ideal for me. I don't use Strava either. I'd appreciate a map showing your routes and have sent you a PM with my email address. Thanks very much! See you on the roads!
Likes For Strack!:
Old 05-16-21, 09:38 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

More of the fantastic country roads of eastern NC. A really nice video of a multi-club ride yesterday, set to music by friend Bill in memorializing a member of the Goldsboro Seyboro club. I didn't know Joe Austin, but from all I've heard I wish I did. I'm at 00.14
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 05-26-21, 04:55 PM
rje58_too

Here a link to a video my wife and I made riding the Neuse River Greenway Trail in Raleigh about a week or so ago. It was a nice day, overcast and cloudy but that kept the heat at bay.

Likes For rje58_too:
Old 06-20-21, 07:31 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 63 Posts
Lots of country roads with out traffic here in Stanley co NC just north of Locust. Only 25 miles from down town Charlotte NC but it is a totally different life style as it is all farm country here. Only two red lights in Locust.
I do not ride to much any more as being 81 does bring it’s restrictions.
eddyr
Likes For EddyR:
Old 08-31-21, 03:41 PM
dmitchchar

Bikes: Custom built Carbon-; Litespeed M1 - Rival; Cannondale Caad3 Ultegra + Spinergy Wheelset; Schwinn Voyageur Steel '84; Specialized HardRock Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fonta Flora Trail

I am also looking forward to the Fonta Flora trail being completed. When done...that should be a good one. Not on the road per se....but fun. Maybe with a stop at the Fonta Flora Brewery by Lake James State Park.
Old 10-10-21, 08:22 PM
rje58_too

Originally Posted by dmitchchar
I am also looking forward to the Fonta Flora trail being completed. When done...that should be a good one. Not on the road per se....but fun. Maybe with a stop at the Fonta Flora Brewery by Lake James State Park.
I don't live in Burke County, but when I've visited there, I've really been impressed with the emphasis they seem to put on trails and outdoor activities and facilities. I'm looking forward to riding Fonta Flora, too.