Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Summit Mt.Grande road or MTB bike?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-13-20, 08:29 PM
Buellster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hey all,
I just scooped this up in a trade for an old seat. Not sure if its junk or treasure... or if it was eithier junk or treasure untill somone took a grinder to it.
I posted in appraisals so heres the detailed pics.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-bicycles-whats-worth-appraisals/1207407-summit-brand-grande-mt-mystery-bike.html
General takes on the quality/stability of the frame are my main concern.

Thanks!@
Old 07-13-20, 08:34 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Old 07-13-20, 08:50 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
While a OK frame It it is a 80's hard frame with slightly unique geometry and a larger size so not having the matching fork is a issue it would may be a bit hard to find a fork Yet there are bigger issues namely the horribly drued cut of canti mounts with gouges looks like someone just hacked them off with a grind off. While maybe a nice bike ounce I hate to tell you it is basically scrape metal.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 07-13-20, 09:24 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
While a OK frame It it is a 80's hard frame with slightly unique geometry and a larger size so not having the matching fork is a issue it would may be a bit hard to find a fork Yet there are bigger issues namely the horribly drued cut of canti mounts with gouges looks like someone just hacked them off with a grind off. While maybe a nice bike ounce I hate to tell you it is basically scrape metal.
I was afraid of that.
it looked to me like somone just took an angle grinder too it, poor thing. Why would somone even do that? Fixe project gone awry?
is that a structural problem? I'm a big guy and it is preciclsey my concern that with all the editing it's not as sound as it should be.
it cost me a seat I got for free and didnt like so im fine with it being scrap haha
Old 07-13-20, 09:35 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
I get a kick out of the way they appropriated the stye of the Suntour Superbe "S"

I concur about having the braze ons drewed off. Shame.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-13-20, 10:19 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 406 Posts

Oh my lord, it is so frustrating to see bike frames taken to the grinder like this. And, they didn't even do a complete or good job! The braze ons for the derailleur and rack/fender still are hanging out.
Old 07-13-20, 10:43 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah it's a real shame!
it's a literal hack job haha
Old 07-14-20, 11:50 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Considering the large size the rear triangle could be used to make a shop stool or possible a wheel stand.
Old 07-14-20, 11:54 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Considering the large size the rear triangle could be used to make a shop stool or possible a wheel stand.
Now theres an idea!
thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-14-20, 12:27 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Buellster If you have a few parts laying around, maybe you could try fitting a nutted side-pull brake to the brake bridge and try fitting a 700c or 650b wheel to see if by some miracle they line up. You'd still need a front fork and headset which could be a significant investment in a messy frame unless you have access to a co-op.
Old 07-14-20, 01:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Buellster If you have a few parts laying around, maybe you could try fitting a nutted side-pull brake to the brake bridge and try fitting a 700c or 650b wheel to see if by some miracle they line up. You'd still need a front fork and headset which could be a significant investment in a messy frame unless you have access to a co-op.
Dude, did you see what the PO did to the chainstays??
Old 07-14-20, 02:48 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
I saw the damage on the seat stays. Which pic is the chain stay? It's hard to tell from the close ups. The PO ground off braze-ons, but I don't see anything that would affect the structural integrity of any of the tubes any worse than what you get with bad chain suck. I am not really saying the bike is worth the effort, but might be interesting if the OP wanted a janky project to tinker on.
Old 07-15-20, 12:44 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
tricky , okay, seat stays; it really is difficult to tell. You think the tubes are okay? It looks like a fair amount of metal was removed by the idiot with the power tool.
Old 07-15-20, 01:20 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks Ticky!
I do actually have access to many coops. I'm intrigued by ths frame but not sure about going forward. The eccentricity of the head tube has me more than the literal hack job the previous owner pulled.
My intent is to build a nice riding and still somewhat light grocery and commute bike for my alfine 8 IGH. I dont want something flashy but a nice frame that may not seem nice at first glance. I traded for this via a craigslist ad based almost exclusively on the double eyelets which I'd ideally want on the finished project bike.
I'd be happy to just zip tie some brake cable and I think I figured I could use the seat stay bridge bolt mount for a side pull brake, but I am very unafmailr with forks and the fact that I cant just snag any old one I have lying around has me worried haha
Old 07-15-20, 01:21 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
its a real shame what they did I would have LOVED to have seen this thing together.
Likes For Buellster:
Old 07-15-20, 01:26 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
tricky , okay, seat stays; it really is difficult to tell. You think the tubes are okay? It looks like a fair amount of metal was removed by the idiot with the power tool.
While it was undeniably poorly executed and stupid, and way too much was taken off I wouldnt say its deep enough to be structural. That said I am absolutely no expert and would defer to basically anyone else haha

Old 07-21-20, 10:42 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I just liked the geometry too much to not see where this goes! Fun story about the fork is that I was kicking myself for donating it to one of our local bike coops because I thought it would be perfect for this project.
I was right.
They still had it and the guy brought it out as a possible match for the frame and we had a good laugh when I told him it was my old fork. I insisted I pay for it because these good folks do a lot of great work for people who cant afford parts or bikes. We called the 5 bucks for it a donation haha

Anyways heres the progress pic;

Its a cromo fork from an old t400 cannondale i loved but got rid of because a big crash bent the rear triangle. It lives on!
Likes For Buellster:
Old 07-26-20, 02:38 AM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
All put together

Took it for a test ride and enjoyed the feel so far!
its larger than a 24" frame usually feels. Generally I'd have a fistful of seatpost out on this frame size. I think it was intended for 26" wheels but it fits the 700cs beautifully. I've got some BIG tires on thier and still have clearance for fenders.
May put some different handlebars on and the IGH needs some tweaking and maybe a tune up but I'm very excited. Next will he putting fenders and racks on.

Old 08-10-20, 09:32 PM
Buellster

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Got the rear and front racks on but havnt done fenders just yet. These tires are just too big for it. I've got some 32s or 28s laying around and I'll make the switch come rainy season. I've officially made this my daily grocery getter and ride around. The internal hub is pretty weird as I'm WAY outside the lines with the dot in 4th but every gear locks in. When I line everything up per manufacture it skips and jumps around. Talked to my local professional about it and he said if it works and they are all engaging "just thank the dark gods of internal hubs and dont question it" haha
Anyway this has been a very fun project. First time I've had almost all the parts laying around on hand. It felt good to build up all the way from a frame.