Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Miyata 512 seat tube damage. Can it be fixed or is the frame toast?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 06:13 PM
drewfio

Bikes: Mostly 80's Japanese built road and touring bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 26 Posts

I got a Miyata 512 from someone who didn't really know what to do with it. I thought it might salvageable, but now I'm not so sure. The ears of the seatpost clamp are bent, and there looks like some bending or cracking at the top of the seat tube. It was a hell of a time getting the seatpost to come out; it couldn't turn a full rotation, so that makes me think either the post or the tube is bent, or both.

Is this fixable, or is the frame toast?

I can't post photos or URLs yet, but the there are photos in an album on my profile:
bikeforums.net/g/album/19471906

Last edited by drewfio; 10-16-20 at 06:13 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 10-16-20, 07:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,484 Times in 3,208 Posts
I wouldn't think the widened seat lug is an issue, but I can't see if there are any cracks. The seat tube would have me more worried with that long stretch of missing paint where a crack or bulge may have already formed. I wouldn't be too thrilled building up this bike. I certainly wouldn't invest a lot in it. I do love Miyatas, but mostly from the early '80s.
Old 10-16-20, 07:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Serious galvanic corrosion between the now gone post and that sad seat tube.

If you want a bike that is a B or C level one then fix this as inexpensively as possible and ride it until...

I don't think this frame is worth the ST replacement that a best repair would be. Andy
Old 10-17-20, 07:02 PM
drewfio

Ok, I think I'm going to just keep all the parts that are worth holding onto and move on. Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-17-20, 08:09 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
It looks like someone couldn't get the seat post out and they pried the ears in an attempt to loosen up the seat tube to get the post out...bad play. It is a steel bike so it won't break any more than it already is, if you need a cheap commuter it's rideable if you can secure a seat post back into the seat tube. Otherwise, take the parts off and salvage the frame for few cents.
Old 10-18-20, 09:27 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I'd prolly consider salvage but only if I was going to keep it for myself. I wouldn't sell it or even give it to anyone that I thought might ride it without fixing the damage to the seat tube. I'd feel pretty bad if I did so and someone was injured!
That said, I would have a real close look at what's going on with that damaged section of the seat tube. The examination would likely involve some damage to the finish but that's a lesser evil. If only bulged, after cleaning and inspecting the inner surface of the tube at the corresponding level, I'd reinsert a lubed and proper sized seat post beyond the bulge then gently tap the bulge down with a hard plastic mallet. If there was a crack in the tube, after tapping down the bulge, perhaps a skilled welder could braze or silver solder it to prevent further damage. I don't think it would be much of an issue to nudge the "ears" of the set clamp back into the original position. If that all sounds like too much work for too little return, then yes, just remove ALL of the components and scrap the frame. I like to putz with things though so I'd do the work. A guy that live across the street from me could braze or silver solder the damaged area of the frame and prolly only charge me for the materials. Without that option, the cost might exceed the benefit

Last edited by sovende; 10-18-20 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-27-20, 08:52 AM
drewfio

Thanks for weighing in! From what you are saying, perhaps it can be salvaged with the right skillset and tools. I was excited to get a Miyata, but I don't have the tools or skillset to revive the frame. I got it for basically free, so no big loss. I'll put my dollars towards a bike with better bones. If anyone is feeling ambitious and in/near NYC, and wants the frame, let me know!